Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2021, 7:29 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by EXPLAT
When is the wrist bank handed out? Upon landing, upon departure? I looked at the Clear App but it's only for Delta and United. So if you're on Alaska, American, Hawaiian airlines, not an option.
At the departure airport, either at the check in counter or at the gate. The agent verifies your Safe Travels QR code and negative test and puts the wristband on you. And AA, HA, and AS most definitely do wristband preclearance. I used it with AS last week.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 8:45 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
The Governor issued a new Executive Order today that creates a future pathway for a vaccinated indiviual to enter Hawaii without a quarantine requirement.

Specifically, the new exemption language states "upon the establishment of an exception by the Director of HIEMA, persons who, prior to departure to the State, upload into the State’s Safe Travels program or otherwise provide written hard copy validation that they have
completed a vaccine regimen approved by DOH. This third exception is not
available as of the date of this Proclamation, requires action by the Director of
HIEMA and details will be posted at https://hawaiicovid19.com/. "

Ige said once CDC publishes a position on vaccinated travelers (who knows when that will be), the Director of HIEMA could then be empowered to accept vaccination data into the Safe Travels site/app to grant quarantine exemptions for travelers.

On a related note, Hawaii is also using the CLEAR platform and mobile app to transmit health data (tests now, vaccines later) for those that want to use that to clear into Hawaii rather than the Safe Travels website.

Ige also signed off on Oahu's Tier 2 restrictions. And is closely watching the spread of disease on Maui: today, Maui has had more cases since January 1 than they had in all of 2020.
One important wildcard though is the timing of vaccination. We don't yet know how long it offers immunity, and some are conservatively saying 3 months (until data proves otherwise, but that'll take a while obviously). So it could be that they only give exception to those vaccinated within 3 (or whatever) months. This is one of the reasons to potentially wait for vaccination even if you're eligible now. I wouldn't do that personally, but it's a consideration.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Is NAAT the same as PCR? If so I wish Hawaii would use language that everyone recognizes.

There is a walgreens that offers drive up covid testing and that's one of HI's trusted partners. I am registered on the State of Hawaii Safe Travels website.

Can someone please tell me how to "upload results"? Where am I uploading them into?

thank you

ETA: Both CVS and Walgreens' have the same language for covid tests: "Test results for travel purposes cannot be guaranteed in time for travel" Great. So what good is this then?

Last edited by enviroian; Feb 14, 2021 at 9:51 am
Old Feb 14, 2021, 9:59 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by enviroian
Is NAAT the same as PCR? If so I wish Hawaii would use language that everyone recognizes.

There is a walgreens that offers drive up covid testing and that's one of HI's trusted partners. I am registered on the State of Hawaii Safe Travels website.

Can someone please tell me how to "upload results"? Where am I uploading them into?

thank you

ETA: Both CVS and Walgreens' have the same language for covid tests: "Test results for travel purposes cannot be guaranteed in time for travel" Great. So what good is this then?
You are uploading to the Hawaii website. With in 72 hours of your flight, you will answer some health questions, and on that page, you will find a field that says something to the effect of "Upload Documents", or something like that. If you click in there , it allows you to upload a picture, a document like your negative results , etc. The field will search in whatever part of your computer you stored your received test results...in your Documents file, Downloads file, where ever.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BlueZebra
You are uploading to the Hawaii website. With in 72 hours of your flight, you will answer some health questions, and on that page, you will find a field that says something to the effect of "Upload Documents", or something like that. If you click in there , it allows you to upload a picture, a document like your negative results , etc. The field will search in whatever part of your computer you stored your received test results...in your Documents file, Downloads file, where ever.
Thank you. Upon doing this you will receive a QR code? This is what you will use to scan in with upon deplaning at HNL?
Old Feb 14, 2021, 10:21 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Is NAAT the same as PCR? If so I wish Hawaii would use language that everyone recognizes… Can someone please tell me how to "upload results"? Where am I uploading them into?
I think, understandably, there might be a little bit of fatigue here because these points have been discussed at length further up in this thread (and in the other thread) but I will try to provide some helpful info. There is a lot more detail further up in this thread and the other thread if needed. It would be great to have it all in the wiki of course and although I work full time I might give that a try at some point. If there are any retired folks or people with a bunch of time off at the moment, feel free to join in

I don't know the specifics of the test definitions, and presumably someone with more detailed knowledge can fill in the gaps, but NAATs from certain providers are certainly accepted by the state for the purposes of travel to Hawaii. For example, if you're flying AA like me then you can get a Hawaii-approved NAAT airside at DFW (the test brand name is Abbot ID-NOW, and the facility is called CareNow) with results in 15 minutes, between your flights. There are also a number of places around the country that, similarly, offer Hawaii-approved NAATs with quick results.

If you're created an account on the Safe Travels website then you can see the place to upload your test results after you create a trip itinerary on that website, when you have to log in within 72 hours of travel to answer the health questions. That website will also provide the QR code, once you have completed those steps within 72 hours of travel.

Having been back and forth (for work) between Hawaii, the mainland, and Europe a few times since the pandemic started, I'm happy with the Safe Travels program. It's not perfect, but it lets me go where I need to go and I've never had any difficulty finding or getting a test that meets the state requirements. I did set aside 20-30 minutes when the Safe Travels program started to read all about it and learn how it works, and since then, it's been easy to use and easy to enter and leave the state
Old Feb 14, 2021, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ExpatExp
I think, understandably, there might be a little bit of fatigue here because these points have been discussed at length further up in this thread (and in the other thread) but I will try to provide some helpful info. There is a lot more detail further up in this thread and the other thread if needed. It would be great to have it all in the wiki of course and although I work full time I might give that a try at some point. If there are any retired folks or people with a bunch of time off at the moment, feel free to join in

I don't know the specifics of the test definitions, and presumably someone with more detailed knowledge can fill in the gaps, but NAATs from certain providers are certainly accepted by the state for the purposes of travel to Hawaii. For example, if you're flying AA like me then you can get a Hawaii-approved NAAT airside at DFW (the test brand name is Abbot ID-NOW, and the facility is called CareNow) with results in 15 minutes, between your flights. There are also a number of places around the country that, similarly, offer Hawaii-approved NAATs with quick results.

If you're created an account on the Safe Travels website then you can see the place to upload your test results after you create a trip itinerary on that website, when you have to log in within 72 hours of travel to answer the health questions. That website will also provide the QR code, once you have completed those steps within 72 hours of travel.

Having been back and forth (for work) between Hawaii, the mainland, and Europe a few times since the pandemic started, I'm happy with the Safe Travels program. It's not perfect, but it lets me go where I need to go and I've never had any difficulty finding or getting a test that meets the state requirements. I did set aside 20-30 minutes when the Safe Travels program started to read all about it and learn how it works, and since then, it's been easy to use and easy to enter and leave the state
thanks good info.
I will be flying AA to HNL and didn’t realize they offered a test at DFW for Hawaii travelers
Old Feb 14, 2021, 11:23 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Thank you. Upon doing this you will receive a QR code? This is what you will use to scan in with upon deplaning at HNL?
Yes. Once the State receives the negative test, a QR code will be issued by e mail. It will also be visible in your Hawaii account. We printed our QR code, and eventually, did a screen capture out of our Hawaii account. Some places that didn't have a QR reader (this was in December, hopefully they have readers now...we go again next month) need the screen capture, because it has crucial info under the QR code, which doesn't appear when you print the QR code.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 11:32 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
Yes. Once the State receives the negative test, a QR code will be issued by e mail. It will also be visible in your Hawaii account. We printed our QR code, and eventually, did a screen capture out of our Hawaii account. Some places that didn't have a QR reader (this was in December, hopefully they have readers now...we go again next month) need the screen capture, because it has crucial info under the QR code, which doesn't appear when you print the QR code.
Still no QR code reader at Budget/Avis car rental at Honolulu airport. Hotel did not have a QR code reader either.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP 100k, Hyatt Globalist, Hhonors Diamond, Marriot Platinum
Faster covid testing option in Seattle?

The snow storms in Seattle are jeopardizing our upcoming trip. We are scheduled to fly out on Alaska airlines SEA-OGG on tuesday evening (Feb 16).We booked carbon testing on sunday morning (Feb 14th) due to 24 hr window guarantee. Didnt want to take a risk with walgreens due to no time guarantee and presidents day coming up. Due to snow storm Carbon testing sites are closed? I cant get anyone on phone to schedule a new test.

Is there any testing option in seattle area with 2-3 hour turn around time? Looking at weather forecast the weather conditions will be better on monday, however i cant wait 24 hrs for the test results. Also how long does it take to get preclearance QR code once you upload the test? My cancellation deadline for hotels in 24hrs before checkin. So i need to have get a test done by monday 2pm, otherwise i will just have to cancel the trip.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 12:32 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by pointsrunner
The snow storms in Seattle are jeopardizing our upcoming trip. We are scheduled to fly out on Alaska airlines SEA-OGG on tuesday evening (Feb 16).We booked carbon testing on sunday morning (Feb 14th) due to 24 hr window guarantee. Didnt want to take a risk with walgreens due to no time guarantee and presidents day coming up. Due to snow storm Carbon testing sites are closed? I cant get anyone on phone to schedule a new test.

Is there any testing option in seattle area with 2-3 hour turn around time? Looking at weather forecast the weather conditions will be better on monday, however i cant wait 24 hrs for the test results. Also how long does it take to get preclearance QR code once you upload the test? My cancellation deadline for hotels in 24hrs before checkin. So i need to have get a test done by monday 2pm, otherwise i will just have to cancel the trip.
Can you route through PDX? The Carbon site is right at PDX airport and results come back in 15 minutes.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP 100k, Hyatt Globalist, Hhonors Diamond, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by Finkface
Can you route through PDX? The Carbon site is right at PDX airport and results come back in 15 minutes.
No we are not able to change tickets at this time. No availability for family of 4 with reasonable pricing. I blocked some appointments for tomorrow morning at Bellevue site. Hope that they are open. Will i have enough time for preclearance QR code if i get the results by 2pm on tuesday (flight is at 6pm on tuesday).

Looking at this press release carbon uses Abott ID now 15 min test (press release says 2 hr results). Are there any reports of getting the carbon test result earlier than the next day 2pm deadline?

Last edited by pointsrunner; Feb 14, 2021 at 1:39 pm
Old Feb 14, 2021, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ExpatExp
if you're flying AA like me then you can get a Hawaii-approved NAAT airside at DFW (the test brand name is Abbot ID-NOW, and the facility is called CareNow) with results in 15 minutes, between your flights.
I don't see them on their travel partners list?

https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/

ETA: I did find the DFW site and like you said 15 minute response time. However I thought rapid antigen tests are not acceptable to waive HI's quarantine, only PCR/NAAT tests. The site says only for AA travelers going to Hawaii so I suppose that's reassuring. Is that only for getting it done at the CareNow DFW site or at a local CAreNow site as well? I ask as the price for an offsite CareNow covid test is $100 less than DFW CareNow ($150 vs. $249).

Last edited by enviroian; Feb 14, 2021 at 1:57 pm
Old Feb 14, 2021, 2:09 pm

I don't see them on their travel partners list?

https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/

ETA: I did find the DFW site and like you said 15 minute response time. However I thought rapid antigen tests are not acceptable to waive HI's quarantine, only PCR/NAAT tests. The site says only for AA travelers going to Hawaii so I suppose that's reassuring. Is that only for getting it done at the CareNow DFW site or at a local CAreNow site as well? I ask as the price for an offsite CareNow covid test is $100 less than DFW CareNow ($150 vs. $249).
Abbott ID Now is a PCR test. Results come to your phone in about 15 minutes in my experience (have used them several times).
Old Feb 14, 2021, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Finkface
Abbott ID Now is a PCR test. Results come to your phone in about 15 minutes in my experience (have used them several times).
gotcha, thanks.

Still don't know if an offsite carenow test will satisfy entry requirements for Hawaii entry. I will email the Hawaii site.

ETA emailing them isn't possible only calling. I was hoping for email so I would have proof of whatever would be told to me.

So far the only thing I know for sure is if are flying to Hawaii out of DFW you can get a PCR test at the airport for $250 that will satisfy Hawaii's entry requirements.

There must be a cheaper way to do this.

Last edited by enviroian; Feb 14, 2021 at 2:49 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.