Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2020, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA GS
Deleted. Info already posted
Old Oct 12, 2020, 7:44 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Didn't they specify PCR tests, not antigen tests?
Old Oct 12, 2020, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA EP, United Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by exp
Didn't they specify PCR tests, not antigen tests?

Yes, the website specifically says antigen is not accepted:

Will any other tests be accepted, such as an antibody or antigen test? What happens if I take the wrong test?

No, an antibody or antigen test will NOT be accepted. If you take the wrong test, you will be required to quarantine for 14 days upon arrival.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 1:58 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Until it starts and we get feedback, it's probably best to watch the sticky thread and the new thread on experiences. But as the rapid molecular is less sensitive that the NAAT molecular PCR test that Hawaii has approved I would be wary of assuming that the rapid molecular test (which gives results in 15 minutes or so) would satisfy the Hawaii requirements based on what we know at this time.
I know jerry a. laska is a savvy traveller, but I am also quite confident that the Rapid PCR-RT test being offered to Portlanders is not only acceptable, but possibly the exclusive acceptable test for travel to Hawai'i (though I have trouble believing that the longer return version of the PCR test wouldn't be OK for the reason stated). Have a look at this link.

Here's the gist from "trusted testing partner," AFC Urgent Care in Portland:

"Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: How much does the Rapid RNA Molecular test cost?
A: For self-pay, this test is $199.

Q: Will my insurance pay for the test?
A: That is up to your insurance and not something that we have control over.

Q: Can I get a different test?
A: Unfortunately, no. The only test accepted by the State of Hawaii is the Rapid RNA Molecular test."

(Emphasis added). FWIW, I will probably get both tests since I'm scheduled to go in two days before departure. If prior experience holds, the PCR NAAT (longer) test result will be back before I touch down if not sooner.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 6:07 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, B6, WN
Walgreens and CVS also offer on-site rapid NAAT testing at a few select locations. It would be nice to know if these are accepted since they're delivered by trusted partners and other trusted partners are offering rapid testing.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 10:04 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
OK so now what is up. Business partner just sent me an article from TPG that states the Big Island AGAIN opted out of the pre-arrival test out program!!?? Arrrgghhhh.... I don't see any recent discussion of that here and usually this place lights up on that kind of news. This is killing me! Anybody hear that indeed the Big Island in the 11th hour backed out seemingly AGAIN???
Old Oct 13, 2020, 10:40 am

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Originally Posted by nomad420
OK so now what is up. Business partner just sent me an article from TPG that states the Big Island AGAIN opted out of the pre-arrival test out program!!?? Arrrgghhhh.... I don't see any recent discussion of that here and usually this place lights up on that kind of news. This is killing me! Anybody hear that indeed the Big Island in the 11th hour backed out seemingly AGAIN???
I don't think the story is accurate even though it was published yesterday. For instance, it still lists the "Color" mail in test as an option with UA. That was rejected a week or more ago so if that is presented as fact in this piece, I'd be sceptical of other things stated in it as well.
It also says "Color" is the "exclusive" testing partner with UA which, of coarse it is not. Crappy fact checking
Old Oct 13, 2020, 10:48 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by tattikat2
I don't think the story is accurate even though it was published yesterday. For instance, it still lists the "Color" mail in test as an option with UA. That was rejected a week or more ago so if that is presented as fact in this piece, I'd be sceptical of other things stated in it as well.
Thanks for the feedback, I reread the article and agree much of it doesn't align with what has been put out on FT. All of this uncertainty has resulted in employees/family on the ground on the Big Island extending there stay into November since they are already done with quarantine (much to their delight I might add). We did this to allow for this whole testing thing to shake out. So while this doesn't directly effect me as I am not heading over this week I feel sorry for those that are. I only hope it isn't a mess. I do have employee family members heading over to the Big Island on either the 15th/16th so I'll get that story on how that went and post.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 10:48 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold
Originally Posted by tattikat2
It also says "Color" is the "exclusive" testing partner with UA which, of coarse it is not. Crappy fact checking
I think that Color is still an acceptable option. They aren't doing the non-supervised mail in test anymore, which HI rejected. it's an in-person administered test at a location near SFO.

Here's the email I received from United for my flight coming up on 10/15:

Important information about your upcoming trip

As promised, here is further information about Color’s drive through testing at SFO. Starting October 12th for our 10/15 Hawaii departures, our trusted partnership with Color enables customers departing from San Francisco International Airport (SFO) to obtain a drive-through test conducted at the airport 48-72 hours before departure, in addition to our day-of onsite partnership with GoHealth.

Here’s what to know about Color’s drive through testing and how to register for your time slot As a reminder, customers may also choose to get a test from a different provider approved by the Hawaii government.:

Drive-Through Testing (Administered by Color)
• Testing facility located at the United Technical Operations Facility parking lot
• Testing is available for adults and minors. Anyone over age 5 must be tested. (Minors four years and younger do NOT need to take the pre-travel test)
• Customers can learn more about the test and schedule their time slot at www.color.com/united-airlines-hawaii-testing-program. Appointments should be booked 48-72 hours prior to departure
• No walk-ins will be available
• Most people will receive results within 48 hours after their sample arrives at the lab
• Price: $105 per test

We’re excited to launch this new Covid-19 testing program as another way of helping our customers meet their destinations’ entry requirements, safely and conveniently. We look forward to welcoming you on board.
Disclaimer: This email may contain links to third party sites. Any access to and use of such linked sites is not governed by United’s privacy policy but instead is governed by the privacy policies of those third party sites. We are not responsible for the information practices of such third party sites.

Last edited by kyee; Oct 13, 2020 at 10:58 am
Old Oct 13, 2020, 11:29 am

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Originally Posted by kyee
I think that Color is still an acceptable option. They aren't doing the non-supervised mail in test anymore, which HI rejected. it's an in-person administered test at a location near SFO.

Here's the email I received from United for my flight coming up on 10/15:

Important information about your upcoming trip

As promised, here is further information about Color’s drive through testing at SFO. Starting October 12th for our 10/15 Hawaii departures, our trusted partnership with Color enables customers departing from San Francisco International Airport (SFO) to obtain a drive-through test conducted at the airport 48-72 hours before departure, in addition to our day-of onsite partnership with GoHealth.

Here’s what to know about Color’s drive through testing and how to register for your time slot As a reminder, customers may also choose to get a test from a different provider approved by the Hawaii government.:

Drive-Through Testing (Administered by Color)
• Testing facility located at the United Technical Operations Facility parking lot
• Testing is available for adults and minors. Anyone over age 5 must be tested. (Minors four years and younger do NOT need to take the pre-travel test)
• Customers can learn more about the test and schedule their time slot at www.color.com/united-airlines-hawaii-testing-program. Appointments should be booked 48-72 hours prior to departure
• No walk-ins will be available
• Most people will receive results within 48 hours after their sample arrives at the lab
• Price: $105 per test

We’re excited to launch this new Covid-19 testing program as another way of helping our customers meet their destinations’ entry requirements, safely and conveniently. We look forward to welcoming you on board.
Disclaimer: This email may contain links to third party sites. Any access to and use of such linked sites is not governed by United’s privacy policy but instead is governed by the privacy policies of those third party sites. We are not responsible for the information practices of such third party sites.
Yes, Color is an accepted partner, but not the mail in test that was wrongly stated in the TPG article we are discussing.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Second Test Requirement coming to Maui, Kauai

The details aren't out yet, and maybe they'll have a press conference before Thursday to discuss what the rules on Thursday will be, but it looks like Maui and Kauai will each have a second test upon landing for all arrivals.

Right now, the second test is required of all arrivals into KOA. It looks like the same will be true for LIH and maybe for OGG.

Governor Ige to Allow Islands to have their own Testing Programs
Old Oct 13, 2020, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
The details aren't out yet, and maybe they'll have a press conference before Thursday to discuss what the rules on Thursday will be, but it looks like Maui and Kauai will each have a second test upon landing for all arrivals.

Right now, the second test is required of all arrivals into KOA. It looks like the same will be true for LIH and maybe for OGG.

Governor Ige to Allow Islands to have their own Testing Programs
Thanks, Weatherboy!

A few lines in that article caught my eye:

According to Hara the County would not be allowed to quarantine travelers who test positive but could enforce a fine or penalty.

"What we're hearing right now is continued confusion. No one seems to know exactly what the rules are and we're three days from when we're supposed to be accepting visitors under a new set of rules that are still being worked out," UHERO Executive Director Carl Bonham said.State economist Carl Bonham says failing to complete those rules will only prolong economic pain.

On Monday Bonham releasing new economic report showing Hawaii now has the weakest economy out of any state in the county with GDP for the second quarter down more than 42%.

So wait. You can't quarantine those who test positive but can enforce a fine or penalty? Given that these people already tested negative once I can't imagine that there won't be tremendous pushback.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Something missed in this mess as most questions are about visiting Hawaii, but those of us that live here are held hostage and from a practical standpoint can’t leave for a short time and return without also doing quarantine for the last several months.

I would have flown to Colorado for just a day, something I’ve done in the past without blinking.

To little to late, I shipped my truck today, and I fly out tomorrow. Will miss the many friends and clients, but Hawaii destroyed my income, not COVID.
ksucats and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Just an update: Governor Ige will indeed host a press conference today at 1:30pm HT / 7:30pm ET to discuss changes to the testing program in the islands. It will be carried live by local networks and through his Facebook page.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 4:27 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Just an update: Governor Ige will indeed host a press conference today at 1:30pm HT / 7:30pm ET to discuss changes to the testing program in the islands. It will be carried live by local networks and through his Facebook page.
If anyone gets to see this, I would love to see a paraphrase! Wish I could watch it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.