Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2020, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by mczlaw
I do recall meeting. Man, it's been a while .

You're probably right not to rely on AFC definitively. I may get both the rapid and longer result test. Mostly, I'm going to watch the news between today and the 24th when I'm scheduled to depart. In the meantime, I'm booking tee times and thinking about where I can get a good meal. I've got some really nice, breathable masks and am ready for a ridiculous line on arrival to OGG. Just your standard FT frequent flyer calm-under-all-circumstances attitude. I hope all works out. Thinking about Costa Rica and Cartagena next.
Please keep us posted on your OGG experience! Flying 2 days after you and already have Royal Ka'anpali and Wailea Emerald tee times booked. See you on the links!
Old Oct 15, 2020, 12:24 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Today's the day! I'm eagerly awaiting all the reports from folks that end up on flights to the islands on the processes in place.

Big thanks to @Weatherboy for all the updates on the local goings on... while the messages have been conflicting at times, it's been great to get all the information. Kudos to you!
Old Oct 15, 2020, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sullim4
Today's the day! I'm eagerly awaiting all the reports from folks that end up on flights to the islands on the processes in place.

Big thanks to @Weatherboy for all the updates on the local goings on... while the messages have been conflicting at times, it's been great to get all the information. Kudos to you!
i look forward to arrest reports ..
pretty sure big island jail is run by marriott just like any other umm lodging
Old Oct 15, 2020, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
This is a handy chart released by Maui for arrivals into OGG (and Lanai/Molokai). It's dated 9/30 and I haven't seen a more recent update.

If your pre-travel test results are not yet in upon landing at OGG, authorities there will point out that most locations will not allow you to visit their property. So if you're staying at any of the properties in red or have a reservation at a time share property (which are illegal to stay at for any traveler subject to quarantine on any island), it's a good idea to make a back-up reservation at a property in green.

The same rule applies if a secondary test after landing at OGG comes in positive; most places won't allow you on-property:

Each county/island has also worked with the state Department of Health to acquire rooms and/or rental homes on each island to house people that cannot stay in their intended accommodations due to COVID (i.e.: waiting for test results, a positive test, or need to be separated from others in your party due to someone testing positive.) Those accommodations of last resort are paid for by each island; because you cannot leave them, the county will also provide a meal at mealtime delivered to your room (and not necessarily upscale room service...think more along the lines of a tray of food being delivered to a jail cell.)

As an example, the island of Hawaii acquired 50-something rooms from the Hilo Seaside hotel and an undisclosed number of homes in the Kona area for this need. However, the Mayor warned yesterday that 75% of these accommodations of last resort are currently occupied ...and that's prior to the arrival of pre-travel testing guests.
JNelson113 likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 10:08 pm

Based on Facebook and Twitter reports of people coming in through OGG, the time to get off the plane to out the door is about an hour or two. At KOA, it's about 3 hours and counting. Seems like KOA's early bank of flights was manageable, but the evening bank has totally overwhelmed them with a very long line of people more than 1,000 deep. And that's just to verify the QR code. More time to wait for test results.

You can see pictures of KOA's set-up before passengers arrived here:

And some video of KOA in action today:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12mr...ew?ts=5f890163
SAM Flyer likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 12:25 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Anyone know what the projected volume of visitors is over the next few weeks? I'm also trying to figure out where to get an approved test with quick results in the New York or Connecticut area.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by donotblink
Anyone know what the projected volume of visitors is over the next few weeks? I'm also trying to figure out where to get an approved test with quick results in the New York or Connecticut area.
Around 7,000/day, down from 24-30,000/day usual.

You may have luck at Walgreens. When I looked at CVS options, it didnt look like east coast stores were participating. Going the mail-in route may be better.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 12:31 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Around 7,000/day, down from 24-30,000/day usual.

You may have luck at Walgreens. When I looked at CVS options, it didnt look like east coast stores were participating. Going the mail-in route may be better.
I'm having a really hard time following what's actually approved or not, it doesn't look like the mail in color test is approved. I'm trying to look into other mail in options, and possibly do multiple tests to be on the safe side,
Old Oct 16, 2020, 1:06 am

I'm having a really hard time following what's actually approved or not, it doesn't look like the mail in color test is approved. I'm trying to look into other mail in options, and possibly do multiple tests to be on the safe side,
Mail-in options approved by Hawaii include a telehealth component in which a supervisor watches you swab in a Zoom call before you mail it to them. I believe Color and Vault do that now.
donotblink likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 1:53 am

Programs: UA GS
2 and 1/2 hour wait for parts of the day getting through arrival screening. Mayor Victorino pledges to have this fixed by Saturday. We'll see.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 1:55 am

Passengers are waiting 4-5+ hours at Kona airport. It sounds like Hawaii ran out of tests for arrivals.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 4:33 am

Try Quest Diagnostics. In Manhattan or Brooklyn. Use this as a guide.

https://hawaiicovid19.com/
http://patient.questdiagnostics.com/covid-hawaii
donotblink likes this.

Last edited by Klxp2016; Oct 16, 2020 at 4:38 am
Old Oct 16, 2020, 8:44 am

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Passengers are waiting 4-5+ hours at Kona airport. It sounds like Hawaii ran out of tests for arrivals.
yikes!
Link for this?

Last edited by tattikat2; Oct 16, 2020 at 8:56 am
Old Oct 16, 2020, 10:49 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
As it is still early in Hawaii will hold on before I call partners in Kona to see what happened yesterday at KOA. I know that they were not heading to KOA until after friends and family cleared testing and were awaiting calls from them at KOA. It was assumed that there would be some delays but 4+ hours is horrible and KOA airport can be a freaking sauna at times .
Old Oct 16, 2020, 11:46 am

Programs: AS 75K
Not to make excuses for HI's handling of this but having long wait times on the first day isn't exactly surprising. Anyone who traveled on the very first day should have realized this was a possibility. I'd still gladly stand in line for 4 hours rather than quarantine for 14 days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.