Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2020, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
i forget the specifics but my wife has to check in daily via phone? Still trying to see if my son can practice soccer on the grass area next to my house but I’m guessing no.
so are they staying with you? Do you have to quarantine also?
Old May 16, 2020, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by ksucats
so are they staying with you? Do you have to quarantine also?
I don’t understand it but no, I don’t have to. Not that it matters but just because I tested negative doesn’t mean I couldn’t contract the virus at any time.
Old May 17, 2020, 9:29 am

I don’t understand it but no, I don’t have to. Not that it matters but just because I tested negative doesn’t mean I couldn’t contract the virus at any time.
Yeah, that makes absolutely no sense. It just shows that they are just trying to keep tourists away and the stay at home for people who live there is just for show. Otherwise, they would force them to quarantine isolated from anybody else who is not also quarantined. If they brought the virus back with them, they would likely pass it on to you and you can move freely - makes no sense. (I believe the whole mandatory quarantine is silly at this point with the knowledge that we have. Just protect the vulernable and let the rest of the world get back to normal.)
Old May 17, 2020, 12:33 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by ksucats
Yeah, that makes absolutely no sense. It just shows that they are just trying to keep tourists away and the stay at home for people who live there is just for show. Otherwise, they would force them to quarantine isolated from anybody else who is not also quarantined. If they brought the virus back with them, they would likely pass it on to you and you can move freely - makes no sense. (I believe the whole mandatory quarantine is silly at this point with the knowledge that we have. Just protect the vulernable and let the rest of the world get back to normal.)
What it shows is that Hawaii is not an effective police state as is China. It shows ineptitude.

What is your plan to protect the vulnerable when 3-year-olds, 30-year-olds, and 103-year-olds are all dying from this disease, and they may all live in the same multigenerational household?
Old May 17, 2020, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by 747FC
What it shows is that Hawaii is not an effective police state as is China. It shows ineptitude.

What is your plan to protect the vulnerable when 3-year-olds, 30-year-olds, and 103-year-olds are all dying from this disease, and they may all live in the same multigenerational household?
To me this is problem and I don’t understand.
Old May 17, 2020, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC

people in those households should be able to decide for themselves how to protect their vulnerable members. They can isolate everybody or find ways to stay away from grandpa. As long as hospitals aren’t near capacity, let those who are ready to move on do it. Don’t lock down 100% of the people when the majority aren’t vulnerable.
Boraxo, DJ_Iceman and 747FC like this.
Old May 17, 2020, 1:54 pm

Programs: AS 75K
LOL.... yeah, isn't the definition of "quarantine" being totally isolated from others?
Old May 17, 2020, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by HawaiiSailor
Not sure if it really saves any time, but yes this is at https://safetravels.hawaii.gov.
I had a family member who has served out a 14-day quarantine who filled out this form before coming back home. Upon landing she was told, "oh that's for international arrivals only" (which makes no sense because the only "international" arrival is from Guam) and then was later told via one of the phone call checkups that the website is run by the visitors association and the visitors association handles the checking on visitors while the HIDOT handles the checkups on local residents. It wasn't "mandatory" to fill out. Nonetheless, she got an email every day about 10 a.m. asking her to check in and she dutifully did. Also got called once during the 2 weeks, but I understand there are more frequent calls now.
Old May 18, 2020, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by HawaiiSailor
Would be good to hear back from her if it saves any time or not, and if having one replaces the need to complete the “agricultural”/data collection form.
The online form was worthless, she still had to fill out a document and verify her cell number. I’m glad she brought a copy of our lease as they made her life easy.
Old May 18, 2020, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Finkface
Don’t be too quick to book those flights. Ige has extended the order to June 30.
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...rough-june-30/
Wait, Ige hasn't actually ordered it yet, right?

Also, is the 14 day quarantine the shorter of 14 days or when when the order ends?
Old May 18, 2020, 9:49 am

Programs: UA GS, Delta Plat, Hawaiian Gold, Hertz Plat
Originally Posted by Troopers
Also, is the 14 day quarantine the shorter of 14 days or when when the order ends?
It hasn’t been announced but logic would indicate that it would be when the order ends, as otherwise you could just re-enter the state to end your quarantine. Granted, that’s harder and more expensive than from any other state to do though. Also at least 14 days notice of its upcoming end is likely for some of the industry to plan and gear up for arrivals. Also likely that the inter island quarantine is dropped first.

Last edited by HawaiiSailor; May 18, 2020 at 2:42 pm
Old May 18, 2020, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Troopers
Wait, Ige hasn't actually ordered it yet, right?
It's in the 7th emergency proclamation from last week:
https://governor.hawaii.gov/wp-conte...n-signed-1.pdf
Old May 18, 2020, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by slippahs
It's in the 7th emergency proclamation from last week:
https://governor.hawaii.gov/wp-conte...n-signed-1.pdf
That's the one that was signed on May 5, in effect until May 31 (see page 33).
Old May 20, 2020, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Rare
That's the one that was signed on May 5, in effect until May 31 (see page 33).
Well, so turns out the 8th Proclamation has it in there:
https://governor.hawaii.gov/wp-conte...ion-signed.pdf
Old May 21, 2020, 1:39 pm

Just an update for everyone,

Wife and kids are going a little stir crazy and it’s only day 4. Thankfully my house is large and plenty of space for the kids to do their own thing, but they hang out on the lanai and catch some sun and read often.

Daily call in of course, and she was called yesterday to make sure she was home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.