Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2020, 9:11 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
FYI, our lockdown has been extended to at least 5/31. This will include mandatory quarantine.
cblaisd likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by 747FC
FYI, our lockdown has been extended to at least 5/31. This will include mandatory quarantine.
Complete overkill by Ige.
Boraxo, Finkface and mtofell like this.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Complete overkill by Ige.
Island time?

David
Old Apr 25, 2020, 10:17 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by DELee
Island time?

David
Yeah, they were a month late starting the quarantine. They might as well keep in effect for an extra month.
cblaisd likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by mtofell
Yeah, they were a month late starting the quarantine. They might as well keep in effect for an extra month.
Add a few more months, you know, just to be safe.
mtofell likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 8:03 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Thanks. Shoot.

Do you have a sense of the mood on the island about this?
Old Apr 26, 2020, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JNelson113
Thanks. Shoot.

Also curious about this. Safety and health are paramount, of course, and the absolute main concern. But, eventually, people will want to return to a semi-normal way of life, and for Hawaii, that includes tourism.

Have there been any local guidelines on when outsiders would be permitted to return (while practicing social distancing, temperature checks, etc)? Wondering if Hawaii is thinking complete 2020 closure to outsiders or some sort of opening by mid-summer if a downward trend in cases is seen the way other states are working toward?
Old Apr 26, 2020, 2:17 pm

Programs: AS 75K
I'm here on Maui and haven't seen much in the way of protesting and the general sense I get is that locals support keeping outsiders off the island for now. It's worth noting, though, that I haven't been out much other than the grocery store 1-2X a week so I may not be the best barometer. Someone a few posts up pointed out there had been some protests (on Oahu I think).

Maui is largely made up of two populations.... folks with a lot of money who are retired and don't care if tourists ever come back, and service industry workers who NEED to work. I have to think the workers are going to start getting restless. IMO, this is bordering on ridiculous at this point to extend for an entire other month.

I heard/read somewhere that the first step will be to lift the stay-at-home order (June 1st now???) and then phase in things like lifting the 14-day quarantine for arrivals. At this point it's looking like the quarantine for arrivals is going to be in effect far into June. The economy here is going to be absolutely devastated.
LIH Prem and Boraxo like this.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by JNelson113
Thanks. Shoot.

I've lived here 45+ years, and I from what I can discern, most people understand that the only way we can survive as an tourist-centric island society is to get this under control. Of course, if your ability to feed your family is endangered by loss of job, you are going to have a slightly different view of the world. Hawaii is generally a compliant and group-oriented society, so working toward the greater good has currency here unlike some other places.

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Also curious about this. Safety and health are paramount, of course, and the absolute main concern. But, eventually, people will want to return to a semi-normal way of life, and for Hawaii, that includes tourism.

Have there been any local guidelines on when outsiders would be permitted to return (while practicing social distancing, temperature checks, etc)? Wondering if Hawaii is thinking complete 2020 closure to outsiders or some sort of opening by mid-summer if a downward trend in cases is seen the way other states are working toward?
No guidelines have been announced as to how we will reopen to tourists. I suspect that tourists will not be welcomed until we first can get the locals back to serving locals (restuarants, theatres, shops, etc.) and show that it can be done without having a big viral outbreak that overwhelms medical resources. If my theory is correct, us locals will be guinea pigs testing out procedures so that tourism can return.

Originally Posted by mtofell
I'm here on Maui and haven't seen much in the way of protesting and the general sense I get is that locals support keeping outsiders off the island for now. It's worth noting, though, that I haven't been out much other than the grocery store 1-2X a week so I may not be the best barometer. Someone a few posts up pointed out there had been some protests (on Oahu I think).

Maui is largely made up of two populations.... folks with a lot of money who are retired and don't care if tourists ever come back, and service industry workers who NEED to work. I have to think the workers are going to start getting restless. IMO, this is bordering on ridiculous at this point to extend for an entire other month.

I heard/read somewhere that the first step will be to lift the stay-at-home order (June 1st now???) and then phase in things like lifting the 14-day quarantine for arrivals. At this point it's looking like the quarantine for arrivals is going to be in effect far into June. The economy here is going to be absolutely devastated.
I was the one that upthread mentioned the small protest. A very small minority of people.

You are right about the two populations, the haves (financially independent; government workers not yet furloughed and still receiving salaries; essential workers; those already receiving welfare checks) and the have-nots (newly destitute or soon-to-be).

The saying is that "All politics is local." We all have our interests that are paramount to us. For me as a financially-secure 65+ male with pre-existing conditions, I want all potential Covid-19-Carriers off my rock. I understand that a laid-off hourly worker who is 25-years old has a different viewpoint. Politicians will decide, and hopefully that eventually re-employed 25-year-old does not infect his grandfather or grandmother, sending them to an early demise.

Be safe out there.
mtofell likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 6:44 pm

Laid off hourly workers like my daughter (a zip-line guide) will eventually collect unemployment and if it includes the $600 federal payment, since her job doesn't pay very much, she will be close to or maybe even better off than the amount she was making before the lockdown. Unfortunately, she hasn't received any unemployment yet and we have no idea when that will happen. (like everywhere else the Dept of Labor that runs the unemployment program is overwhelmed and has ancient systems that cannot keep up with the load.) On April 16, the unemployment rate was reported at 37%, around 250,000 people or around 1 in 3 people. That will continue to go up. Pre-COVID-19 unemployment was 2.7%.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...own-continues/

The economy is not going to recover here until tourism returns to some closer to normal level, and I don't see that happening any time soon, and the recovery is going to be slow. (who would risk traveling now or even later?)

Even for those that are wealthy, retired, etc, there's no sense of normalcy here. We're not living in a cave and it's impossible to imagine what will happen to the people that can't feed their family or pay their rent or make their mortgage payments. Sure, there's no evictions for now, and forbearance for mortgages is possible, but they still have to eat, will eventually have to pay up one way or another. Everybody understands that tourism pays the bills here.

-David
Old Apr 27, 2020, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Laid off hourly workers like my daughter (a zip-line guide) will eventually collect unemployment and if it includes the $600 federal payment, since her job doesn't pay very much, she will be close to or maybe even better off than the amount she was making before the lockdown. Unfortunately, she hasn't received any unemployment yet and we have no idea when that will happen. (like everywhere else the Dept of Labor that runs the unemployment program is overwhelmed and has ancient systems that cannot keep up with the load.)
It is "extremely" difficult to get workers to come back to work with the extra $600 federal payment/week until after July 31. I think in California, if you make under $1000 a week, you get more from unemployment pay until July 31. It is even higher at Hawaii I believe as Hawaii state pays a higher maximum.
cblaisd and Boraxo like this.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 11:47 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Some more detail on how they enforce the 14 day quarantine. https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...Wt4JxoVZ89KrGA
Old Apr 27, 2020, 12:07 pm

This is very confusing. I’m on Maui, hope the wife and kids can visit sometime soon. Since I will pick them up and they will be staying with me, logic says I have to start the 14 day clock.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
This is very confusing. I’m on Maui, hope the wife and kids can visit sometime soon. Since I will pick them up and they will be staying with me, logic says I have to start the 14 day clock.
Logic aside, there is nothing in the regulations requiring you to quarantine. Cab drivers and hotel operators do not need to quarantine. Not sure what is confusing.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by Need
It is "extremely" difficult to get workers to come back to work with the extra $600 federal payment/week until after July 31. I think in California, if you make under $1000 a week, you get more from unemployment pay until July 31. It is even higher at Hawaii I believe as Hawaii state pays a higher maximum.
Honestly, how do you know that?

Don't know about anybody else but my daughter would rather be out working than collecting unemployment even if she'll pocket more from unemployment with the federal supplement. Unfortunately she's probably not going to have that option any time in the foreseeable future based on what we know now.

Incidentally, she hasn't received anything yet other than the $1200 federal stimulus. Now she spends her time competing (unsuccessfully) with 250,000 other people trying to login in to the department of labor's unemployment web site in order to submit her weekly claim certifications.

-David
JNelson113 likes this.

Last edited by LIH Prem; Apr 27, 2020 at 8:25 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.