Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2020, 4:14 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Here's an example of a non-resident being cited for violating the quarantine: https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...rantine-order/
Old Apr 1, 2020, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Here's an example of a non-resident being cited for violating the quarantine: https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...rantine-order/
Now he has to stay until May or fly back in May and probably be quarantined for 14 more days.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 9:33 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I wonder if he tried to use his Foodland Maika`i card as proof that he was a local.
philemer likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I wonder if he tried to use his Foodland Maika`i card as proof that he was a local.
Lol. I was at Foodland yesterday and it’s still a small world, ran into a client.

On a serious note, I carry a few documents with me to prove where I live. So far it’s been a non issue on Maui.
FlyinHawaiian likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by slippahs
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...ry-quarantine/

268 visitors to all islands on Thurs, March 26 (first day of 14-day mandatory quarantine for arrivals)
239 to HNL, 11 to Maui, 18 to the BI
1,589 total arrivals, some of whom I believe were transit pax per a Maui News article.

Who are the 268 people who are flying to Hawaii just to be stuck in a hotel room for 14 days (or less)?
Originally Posted by 747FC
Hopefully, not people who just got off a cruise ship and decided to infect the world:

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...tion-strategy/

Actually, I assume that there are some who may be staying with friends or in long-term rental situations. Or, intended new residents. Or, people coming on long-term work assignments.
FWIW from Big Island Video News (VIDEO: Pressure Builds To End Air Travel Into Hawaiʻi, Stop RIMPAC):

On Friday, state senators expressed outrage that apparent homeless individuals were arriving in Hawaiʻi by air with no place to go and nowhere to self-quarantine. Linda Chu Takayama, the Chief of Staff for Governor Ige, told the senate that the state has decided to send those arrivals who appear to be homeless back on the plane to return from where they came.
David
Old Apr 3, 2020, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
They also arrested a Washington state man. He arrived with no lodging reservations. Looks homeless--until now. Free room & 3 squares a day.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 1:10 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Story today says if people show up with no lodging they will be put on a plane back to where they came from (or arrested)..... no mention of who pays for the ticket.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...-get-arrested/
Old Apr 4, 2020, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by mtofell
Story today says if people show up with no lodging they will be put on a plane back to where they came from (or arrested)..... no mention of who pays for the ticket.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...-get-arrested/
It mentions who pays at the bottom of the article: "The Hawaii Tourism Authority is helping to pay for airfare so people can return to the city they flew in from."
Old Apr 4, 2020, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flight arrivals stats for Friday, April 3rd (from http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/):

David
Old Apr 5, 2020, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by DELee
Flight arrivals stats for Friday, April 3rd (from Big Island Video News ? Serving Hawaii County):

David
The Kona numbers are perplexing. Where are the flight attendants in the count?
Old Apr 5, 2020, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Maybe the airlines are having crews deadhead for the return to mainland flights? No idea, but it may be logistically simpler than hotels, transport to/from, and related matters.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 12:13 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Maybe the airlines are having crews deadhead for the return to mainland flights? No idea, but it may be logistically simpler than hotels, transport to/from, and related matters.
When I flew last week, that is what AS was doing. They deadhead a crew down to the islands while another crew works the flight. Then they reverse on the return flight to the mainland. That way, the crews do not have to overnight and are back at their home bases as much as possible.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Wow. Less than 30 pass. per flt, average.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 2:29 pm

Programs: AS 75K
95%+ of the flights I can find off the islands in the next few weeks are red-eyes which seems to go along with the idea of not keeping crews overnight. Mainland to Hawaii during the day with crew #1 . Island to mainland overnight with crew #2 . That way no one has to leave the airport and get caught up in quarantine issues.

fwiw, the quarantine thing seems to have a lot more teeth for tourists. It's much easier to call and check on a person in a hotel room than in their house (since I assume residents would just give their cell phone number anyway). I just can't see police putting too many resources towards physically doing spot checks at residences anyway. I've also wondered why a tech-savvy hotel guest couldn't just figure out how to forward the phone in their room to their cell phone if they were hell bent on getting out.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Saturday's (04/04/20) passenger arrival data (from: Big Island Video News ? Serving Hawaii County):

Yesterday, 683 people arrived in Hawaii including 106 visitors and 220 residents. In comparison, during this same time last year, nearly 30,000 passengers arrived in Hawaii daily, including residents and visitors. The state’s 14-day mandatory self-quarantine started on March 26th for all passengers arriving in Hawaii from out of state. The order was expanded on April 1st to include interisland travelers. This table shows the number of people who arrived by air from out of state yesterday and does not include interisland travel.

And National Guard at arrival airports:

Hawaii National Guard (HING) Soldiers and Airmen will be supporting the Hawaii Department of Transportation (HDOT) with the medical screening of incoming and departing passengers as well as airline crew at five Hawaii airports. Starting Monday, April 6, 2020 the HING will be supporting Daniel K. Inouye International Airport and Hilo International Airport. Support for Kahului Airport, Lihue Airport, and the Ellison Onizuka International Airport at Keahole will be starting soon.

The Guardsmen will be located at the passenger arrival gates and TSA security checkpoints to assist HDOT staff with medical screening that has been put in place during the COVID-19 crisis. Arriving passengers from domestic and international destinations, as well as departing interisland passengers will have their temperature taken to determine if an additional medical screening is necessary. The Guardsmen will not be armed while conducting this support mission.
David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.