Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2020, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA GS, Delta Plat, Hawaiian Gold, Hertz Plat
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Just an update for everyone,

Wife and kids are going a little stir crazy and it’s only day 4. Thankfully my house is large and plenty of space for the kids to do their own thing, but they hang out on the lanai and catch some sun and read often.

Daily call in of course, and she was called yesterday to make sure she was home.
Good to hear they made it back! When they call to see if she's home, they're calling her mobile phone I assume? Do they just ask "are you at home," basically?
Old May 21, 2020, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by HawaiiSailor
Good to hear they made it back! When they call to see if she's home, they're calling her mobile phone I assume? Do they just ask "are you at home," basically?
Yes, and she has to make sure location services is turned on. We don’t have a landline.
Old May 21, 2020, 2:03 pm

Yes, and she has to make sure location services is turned on. We don’t have a landline.
So they're actually tracking her phone's location somehow? Even with location services turned on, how do they see its location?
Old May 21, 2020, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
So they're actually tracking her phone's location somehow? Even with location services turned on, how do they see its location?
No idea, but they seem to know that she is staying home. It was a pleasant call and the lady asked how she is doing Physically and mentally. She also mentioned that on the morning of the 31st my wife and kids are free to roam at that point.

Mentioned that if anyone else on my wife’s flight reports poor health she will let my wife know.
Old May 21, 2020, 2:21 pm

No idea, but they seem to know that she is staying home. It was a pleasant call and the lady asked how she is doing Physically and mentally. She also mentioned that on the morning of the 31st my wife and kids are free to roam at that point.

Mentioned that if anyone else on my wife’s flight reports poor health she will let my wife know.
Based on what we know it would be surprising if they were actually monitoring her phones location unless she opted into something or got a court order. Great if so, just seems unlikely they’d have that sorted out this quickly especially if she didn’t actively agree to it in an app or something.

Even if they could it’s not bulletproof as you can just leave your phone at home, use call forwarding, location spoofing, be “asleep” when they call... but it would be relatively effective.
Old May 21, 2020, 2:30 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
It is done easily and in real time because it is integral to the process of how cell phones work; it does not require the phone's location services to be turned on. It is done by triangulating the phone as it communicates with various cell towers as the system figures out which tower is best. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phone_tracking

Govt can get the data realtime from the cell companies; there are lots of products on the market for non-govt actors to get the same data. Google and Apple are (ini)famously teaming up as we speak with a new COVID tracing project.
Old May 21, 2020, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Section 107
It is done easily and in real time because it is integral to the process of how cell phones work; it does not require the phone's location services to be turned on. It is done by triangulating the phone as it communicates with various cell towers as the system figures out which tower is best. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phone_tracking

Govt can get the data realtime from the cell companies; there are lots of products on the market for non-govt actors to get the same data. Google and Apple are (ini)famously teaming up as we speak with a new COVID tracing project.
Yes sure that’s how it works I’d just be pretty surprised if Hawaii sorted out all the legal and privacy and technical and procedural issues to “just do that” for all quarantined arrivals. And if they did why they’re not catching oodles of violators that way. Usually use of such stuff requires opt in or a court order not just a “hey let’s turn that on and not tell anyone” decision by a public health authority at the state level.

More interesting is why not use that to locate known violators like the woman in Maui they’re looking for. Unless she turned her phone off. Just saying I don’t think it’s super trivial to get permission to use phone location to find someone you’re interested in investigating or arresting.

if they told Mrs Cospilot to keep her location on it was probably just a misunderstanding, or less likely a scare tactic.
ExpatExp likes this.

Last edited by HawaiiSailor; May 21, 2020 at 3:10 pm
Old May 21, 2020, 3:44 pm

Yes sure that’s how it works I’d just be pretty surprised if Hawaii sorted out all the legal and privacy and technical and procedural issues to “just do that” for all quarantined arrivals. And if they did why they’re not catching oodles of violators that way. Usually use of such stuff requires opt in or a court order not just a “hey let’s turn that on and not tell anyone” decision by a public health authority at the state level.

More interesting is why not use that to locate known violators like the woman in Maui they’re looking for. Unless she turned her phone off. Just saying I don’t think it’s super trivial to get permission to use phone location to find someone you’re interested in investigating or arresting.

if they told Mrs Cospilot to keep her location on it was probably just a misunderstanding, or less likely a scare tactic.
Everytime my wife calls in the automated system asks to make sure location services is turned on so that it can ping the phone. Obviously could be a scare tactic.
Old May 21, 2020, 3:50 pm

Everytime my wife calls in the automated system asks to make sure location services is turned on so that it can ping the phone. Obviously could be a scare tactic.
Very interesting .. possible I suppose, just interesting it hasn’t been reported on previously.
Old May 21, 2020, 10:19 pm

Yes sure that’s how it works I’d just be pretty surprised if Hawaii sorted out all the legal and privacy and technical and procedural issues to “just do that” for all quarantined arrivals.
Surely you watch and read the same local news here.

Arriving visitors have to agree to this, if not, they are free to return to the mainland.

The Maui woman and her sister talked with KITV. Look for it. Last I read, she was voluntarily returning to the mainland.

-David
Old May 21, 2020, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Surely you watch and read the same local news here.

Arriving visitors have to agree to this, if not, they are free to return to the mainland.

The Maui woman and her sister talked with KITV. Look for it. Last I read, she was voluntarily returning to the mainland.

-David
I guess it’s more of an Apple question than a FlyerTalk question, but I wonder what mechanism that would require “location services being on” would allow the government to ping your cell phone when you make an outbound call to them.
Old May 21, 2020, 11:19 pm

I guess it’s more of an Apple question than a FlyerTalk question, but I wonder what mechanism that would require “location services being on” would allow the government to ping your cell phone when you make an outbound call to them.
Well, don’t come then.
Old May 22, 2020, 8:12 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
no "mechanism" is really necessary. There are tremendous differences in what permissions state/local gubmints give themselves in civil matters versus what they allow themselves to do in a criminal matter. In a declared state of emergency there are altogether entirely different thresholds for what restrictions the gubmint places upon its capabilities. in general both federal and local law enforcement have had longstanding agreements with cell phone companies to provide location and other information without a warrant. The ACLU indicates Hawaii doesn't care about citizen location privacy at all. In most localities government can obtain location data immediately on essentially a "promise" to the phone company that there is an "emergency need" - the phone companies each have entire units devoted to providing this information.

In addition, as late as 2019 all of the phone companies were selling individual user real-time location data to 3rd party "location aggregators" who in turn were selling it to law enforcement... see this Feb story from Hawaii Star Advertiser

Last edited by Section 107; May 22, 2020 at 8:57 am
Old May 22, 2020, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Daily call in of course, and she was called yesterday to make sure she was home.
Wow - this is very different than the experience I am hearing of quarantining on Oahu, where there are roughly 300 returning residents every day, which would mean roughly 4,200 returning residents to keep track of subject to a 14-day quarantine at any given time. I understand some have gotten one or two calls during the 14-day quarantine. Imagine that HiDOT doesn't have the resources to make a daily call to all 4,200 folks to talk story about health.

I had read somewhere else that KPD may actually pay you a visit on Kauai to make sure you're abiding by quarantine. Guess when you have on average zero to one or two returning residents on average, you can be subjected to some pretty special treatment. Full visitor arrival details are posted here: https://www.hawaiitourismauthority.org/news/
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 22, 2020, 12:22 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by slippahs
Wow - this is very different than the experience I am hearing of quarantining on Oahu, where there are roughly 300 returning residents every day, which would mean roughly 4,200 returning residents to keep track of subject to a 14-day quarantine at any given time. I understand some have gotten one or two calls during the 14-day quarantine. Imagine that HiDOT doesn't have the resources to make a daily call to all 4,200 folks to talk story about health.

I had read somewhere else that KPD may actually pay you a visit on Kauai to make sure you're abiding by quarantine. Guess when you have on average zero to one or two returning residents on average, you can be subjected to some pretty special treatment. Full visitor arrival details are posted here: https://www.hawaiitourismauthority.org/news/
I read it as she had to call in to them every day. Their calls to her were random, not daily. Am I wrong about that?
Just an update for everyone,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.