Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2021, 8:04 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Yikes. Glad we're not headed back to KOA until November. Much of this should be over by then (he says with many fingers crossed).

Cheers.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
On arrival in KOA, we walked down the steps from the plane, were given a round disk (which purpose was never obvious to me), walked thru a long path outside the terminal, dropped the disk in a basket someone was holding...
I don't remember receiving a disk in January. They had configured the long arrival line that snaked around the outside of the terminal and corralled you to the desks with the questionnaires and then arrival test. Everything else was as you described it.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 9:30 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
-Maui arrivals still need to download their contract tracing app
This is either optional or not enforced at all. I've arrived on Maui roughly a half dozen times since it was first talked about and have never heard a peep about it after the initial announcement a few months ago. Just went through the whole process and landed today and not a word at any point.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 11:05 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Hara nixes early use of Vaccine Passport

On tonight's KHON news, Major General Kenneth S. Hara, Adjutant General and Director, Hawaiʻi Emergency Management Agency said that he did not foresee a vaccination passport due to verification not being possible at this time. Sorry, no link to supply.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 12:07 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
But someone uploading test results and answering a questionnaire is verifiable proof of negative tests?
Old Mar 24, 2021, 5:38 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by exp
But someone uploading test results and answering a questionnaire is verifiable proof of negative tests?
If you are using a Hawaii approved lab result, which has both the lab's and the Hawaii State letterhead on it, then yes. To Hawaii's satisfaction, at least, for the last 5 months. Over 100k people have done it now.

If you talking about the Kona situation, that is because the various islands have some leeway in adjusting the protocols (and have very generous donors will to fund stricter protocols).
Old Mar 24, 2021, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Avis Chairman, Four Seasons Elite, HA Pualani Gold
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
The general statement is you can't get on a plane without a negative test. But there has been no proof that it is consistently enforced by the airlines...they don't want to be in that enforcement position. But, if you get put into quarantine, which WILL occur if you don't have a negative test, you can't buy your way out with a late test result or a fast test at or near the airport. Just get the test.
I believe there are people who fly in planning to quarantine for 10 days in their homes upon arrival. I’m sure not many, not the norm but apparently it is happening and I guess we all just have to hope they don’t have Covid.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by ERtraveler
I believe there are people who fly in planning to quarantine for 10 days in their homes upon arrival. I’m sure not many, not the norm but apparently it is happening and I guess we all just have to hope they don’t have Covid.
I believe you are mostly correct. Again...the airlines aren't actually checking to see if everyone has a negative test. But, as we fly Saturday (and got our test done this morning), we have received numerous (4 or 5 each) communications, plus all the info on the booking and website, from United reminding us of the test requirement. They are trying to make sure you test, without threatening you.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 4:01 pm

Yes, it would be very hard not to know you should test beforehand. We were getting ready to board in SFO-KOA and a pax turned to me and asked if she needed a covid test before the flight!
Old Mar 24, 2021, 5:28 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Wondering what the percentage is that actually fulfill the quarantine? I'd speculate that it's pretty low. There is pretty much no enforcement on travelers.... likely even less for residents. Last I heard it was a complaint driven system. They threaten random checks but I've never been able to catch a news story of one of these random checks occurring and turning up a violator. All the stories are from hotels turning people in.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 3:49 am

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
If tested in airport, what do you get? Paper results? Link to online results ? And how best to convert to PDF and upload with only a mobile device?
Old Mar 25, 2021, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by cmculp
If tested in airport, what do you get? Paper results? Link to online results ? And how best to convert to PDF and upload with only a mobile device?
Can't answer the loading question, but the results come pdf, at least from the four tests I have done. So no need to convert.

Why test at the airport? Typically the most expensive option. We tested yesterday at T-72 hours...got results 11 hours later, Worksite Lab, near SFO. Great operation, fast, efficient, $90 per person. Printed and uploaded two sets of results. Took total maybe 15 minutes. Now just waiting for medical questionnaire to come available at T-24.
ERtraveler likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by BlueZebra
Can't answer the loading question, but the results come pdf, at least from the four tests I have done. So no need to convert.

Why test at the airport? Typically the most expensive option. We tested yesterday at T-72 hours...got results 11 hours later, Worksite Lab, near SFO. Great operation, fast, efficient, $90 per person. Printed and uploaded two sets of results. Took total maybe 15 minutes. Now just waiting for medical questionnaire to come available at T-24.
Excellent and efficient option if flying from SFO.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 11:27 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
cityhealthUC is only $20 and they have sites in SF and near OAK and SJC.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 12:32 pm

And Vegas, and, IIRC, one other airport...can't remember which.
ERtraveler likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.