Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2021, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
... the Gov rejected Maui's request for a passport [ pilot program ].
I believe that's true, and sorry, I don't recall exactly where I saw or read it.

Ige is preoccupied on the verification issue, which frankly, IMO, is never going to be solved. Creating an app is easy, but verifying the data is the trillion dollar problem for the masses that didn't get vaccinated at nationwide chains.

-David
Old Apr 4, 2021, 6:54 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
What weren't they worried about forged test results?
Old Apr 5, 2021, 5:10 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
Originally Posted by exp
What weren't they worried about forged test results?
I would imagine with testing, they would have a way to verify, if they wanted to, that individuals were getting the test from the approved providers (albeit probably not real time). With vaccines, there is currently no way to do the same, I believe.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 5:09 pm
exp
Suspended

Can you enter Hawaii through LIH, then fly to HNL and then return from HNL back to SFO?

Or is there any requirement to go through HNL first?

Maybe faster processing of verifying negative tests through HNL than smaller airports on other islands?
Old Apr 5, 2021, 5:29 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by exp
Can you enter Hawaii through LIH, then fly to HNL and then return from HNL back to SFO?

Or is there any requirement to go through HNL first?

Maybe faster processing of verifying negative tests through HNL than smaller airports on other islands?
You can enter Hawaii through LIH, OGG, HNL, ITO, KOA. That is, any of the airports that (at one time or another) serve domestic or international routes.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 8:19 pm
exp
Suspended

What about interisland travel?

Are there different rules for going from LIH to HNL vs. vice versa?

Would I need another negative test going either way, after spending say 5 nights on either Kauai or Oahu first?
Old Apr 5, 2021, 8:27 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by exp
What about interisland travel?

Are there different rules for going from LIH to HNL vs. vice versa?

Would I need another negative test going either way, after spending say 5 nights on either Kauai or Oahu first?
No test is needed to fly interisland LIH-HNL after your 5 night stay. A test would be required to fly HNL-LIH.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 8:58 pm

Programs: WN
Originally Posted by Finkface
No test is needed to fly interisland LIH-HNL after your 5 night stay. A test would be required to fly HNL-LIH.
AFAIK, at the current time, HNL is the *only* interisland destination not requiring negative test pre-flight
Old Apr 5, 2021, 9:17 pm

Ige Calls For Patience On Travel Restrictions, Vaccine Passports

https://www.civilbeat.org/2021/04/ig...ine-passports/
Old Apr 5, 2021, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Governor's Update

Governor Ige met with his COVID advisors, got an update on travel vaccine passports, and took questions from the media today. Some highlights:

-As I mentioned a few posts ago, he outright denied Maui's request to use vaccine passports. Counties will need to continue to use the Safe Travels platform and they can't use other platforms/solutions.

-The state is testing CLEAR and COMMONPASS as platforms that would tie into Safe Travels. Basically you get that platform to verify your test credentials and then that platform gives you a code you'd enter into Safe Travels to "connect" the two. It's possible this could work for pre-travel tests as soon as this summer.

-Ige reiterated the White House isn't interested in a national vaccine database/passport. As such, they'd likely only work with CLEAR and COMMONPASS for verifying vaccine information in the future. No timing on when that would happen. Unlikely before summer travel season.

-Hawaii focused on getting shots in arms moreso than data in computers. As such, Ige said vaccination data beyond quantitative counts the feds require, is not yet in any system. Providers may be logging vaccine data here/there, but shockingly there's no standard data capture happening here yet. Ige said the providers doing the vaccines could get such data into systems over time.

-The white vaccine cards won't be acceptable to bypass quarantine for now.

-Because of the lack of vaccination data in the state and the unwillingess to accept the white cards, there's no way to safely allow for interisland travel among residents let alone non-residents who have their own data verification issues.

-Because of these challenges, there are no changes to the interisland travel rules although the governor hopes there could be something new in place by July 4.

-And there are no changes to any of Hawaii's travel rules, even with the new CDC guidance for now.

-Ige welcomes the islands to do second tests upon arrival of passengers like the Big Island is doing, but they aren't allowed to have passengers pay for that 2nd test nor can they rely on the state to pay.

-Due to increase in COVID case counts, Oahu could trigger additional lockdown measures on Wednesday. But the onus is on the new mayor to deal with that and Ige hopes nothing will happen to disrupt the rebounding economy.
mtofell likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LIH Prem

Ige Calls For Patience On Travel Restrictions, Vaccine Passports

https://www.civilbeat.org/2021/04/ig...ine-passports/
What was frustrating to reporters today, and I imagine for everyone, is the info he shared this afternoon is in conflict with what he said earlier in the Spotlight program. So I'm not sure if his subsequent advisory meeting led him to be much more conservative with timing/etc. this afternoon.
mtofell likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 10:17 pm
exp
Suspended

thanks, glad I asked.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 10:56 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
What was frustrating to reporters today, and I imagine for everyone, is the info he shared this afternoon is in conflict with what he said earlier in the Spotlight program. So I'm not sure if his subsequent advisory meeting led him to be much more conservative with timing/etc. this afternoon.
Thanks for all the info..... As anxious as I am for vaccine passport and such, I'm also thankful for the system in place currently and am fine jumping through the hoops. I'm just glad there are hoops to jump through in the form of testing and getting out of quarantine.
Weatherboy and BeachRat like this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by jerryfreak
AFAIK, at the current time, HNL is the *only* interisland destination not requiring negative test pre-flight
Urrrggghh, I may have to do 2 tests for my upcoming trip.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 7:54 pm

6. At airport, if your airline participates, go to airline check in desk (or gate or however your airline/airport does it) for pre-clearance wristband. This speeds up your arrival big time.
Which airport? Our flight will be PHL-IAH-HNL with UA. Will the pre-clearance wristband on PHL or IAH?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.