Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2021, 8:44 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
The current policies do not make accommodations for fully-vaccinated travelers.
Agree. If one looks around these threads you will see discussions on the topic. The Governor has stated he will loosen the requirements involving vaccinated travelers when the CDC issues guidance on the topic. As of yesterday, the CDC refused to issue related guidance. I suspect the CDC will change it's mind in perhaps the next month, as the number vaccinated grows.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 10:30 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
You need a QR code for the island you land on directly from the mainland and a separate QR code from your connection point to your destination.
How does the KOA post arrival test work if one comes in from an inter-island transit? According to the rules, only trans-pacific pax are tested upon arrival and many will connect connect via HNL first. Are they “auditing” the inter-island flights to make those who connected in HNL take a test upon arrival into KOA or is the test not required? Very confusing rules at KOA and I wish they would get rid of the post-arrival test as it seems like a waste of time and resources for the very few # of positive cases they’ve discovered since October.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
You need a QR code for the island you land on directly from the mainland and a separate QR code from your connection point to your destination.
thank you. I think I have it figured out. Too hard to go home.......
Old Mar 11, 2021, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
How does the KOA post arrival test work if one comes in from an inter-island transit? According to the rules, only trans-pacific pax are tested upon arrival and many will connect connect via HNL first. Are they “auditing” the inter-island flights to make those who connected in HNL take a test upon arrival into KOA or is the test not required? Very confusing rules at KOA and I wish they would get rid of the post-arrival test as it seems like a waste of time and resources for the very few # of positive cases they’ve discovered since October.
While things are always changing, yesterday they were testing all arrivals, mainland and interisland, until 7pm and had no testing after that. They're still just doing the nasal swab and you don't need to wait for results.

They did catch 120 people that came in with negative tests that ended up being confirmed positive, so there has been benefit of having it.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 10:00 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
They did catch 120 people that came in with negative tests that ended up being confirmed positive, so there has been benefit of having it.
During this entire testing campaign?
Old Mar 11, 2021, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
While things are always changing, yesterday they were testing all arrivals, mainland and interisland, until 7pm and had no testing after that. They're still just doing the nasal swab and you don't need to wait for results.

The 120 figure is the # of detected positive test since the Safe Travels program began on October 15th, which comes out to less than 1 detected positive case per day out of the thousands who arrive at KOA daily. With that low of a positive test rate, it seems like a waste of resources and time to test healthy passengers who have already had a negative test taken less than 72 hours prior. Oahu and Maui haven’t had any issues of higher # of cases by not testing on arrivals.

Originally Posted by wunderpit
During this entire testing campaign?
Correct, that number is the # of positive detected cases upon arrival at KOA since October 15th, 2020.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 4:45 am

Programs: UA Plat
The 120 figure is the # of detected positive test since the Safe Travels program began on October 15th, which comes out to less than 1 detected positive case per day out of the thousands who arrive at KOA daily. With that low of a positive test rate, it seems like a waste of resources and time to test healthy passengers who have already had a negative test taken less than 72 hours prior. Oahu and Maui haven’t had any issues of higher # of cases by not testing on arrivals.
I believe the testing at KOA was largely funded by a donor who resides on the island. That money has run out, so we’ll see what happens next. I for one certainly appreciate this extra level of testing as a visitor to the island. I wish I could be in Australia or New Zealand right now, and the near zero case load on the big island is a close second. Also, one per day is not the total decrement in island cases that testing may have prevented. You have to believe that that one person would have infected others in cases where they were not headed to quarantine already (pre-arrival testing is optional, not mandatory).
Old Mar 12, 2021, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by economyplusfan
I believe the testing at KOA was largely funded by a donor who resides on the island. That money has run out, so we’ll see what happens next. I for one certainly appreciate this extra level of testing as a visitor to the island. I wish I could be in Australia or New Zealand right now, and the near zero case load on the big island is a close second. Also, one per day is not the total decrement in island cases that testing may have prevented. You have to believe that that one person would have infected others in cases where they were not headed to quarantine already (pre-arrival testing is optional, not mandatory).
The testing on arrival in KOA is mandatory if one wants to avoid the quarantine. According to this article (https://www.civilbeat.org/2021/03/ha...ort-screening/) Hawaii County is now using molecular test that was sent to them by the state intended for citizen use, but the county is using them for the post airport arrival testing. My main issue with the testing is the molecular test being used are the least accurate out of the all the COVID test and have a high % of false positives. They do have a plan in place to give you a second lab based test if the molecular test comes back positive, but you have to quarantine until it comes back and the state won’t allow you to quarantine in a vacation rental/condo so you are screwed if you were planning on staying in one as you now have to find a hotel while just having testing “positive” for COVID.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 11:30 am

Programs: UA Plat
The testing on arrival in KOA is mandatory if one wants to avoid the quarantine. According to this article (https://www.civilbeat.org/2021/03/ha...ort-screening/) Hawaii County is now using molecular test that was sent to them by the state intended for citizen use, but the county is using them for the post airport arrival testing. My main issue with the testing is the molecular test being used are the least accurate out of the all the COVID test and have a high % of false positives. They do have a plan in place to give you a second lab based test if the molecular test comes back positive, but you have to quarantine until it comes back and the state won’t allow you to quarantine in a vacation rental/condo so you are screwed if you were planning on staying in one as you now have to find a hotel while just having testing “positive” for COVID.
As I said, testing is optional. If you don’t test you have to quarantine. Your choice. You don’t have to have a test to get on the plane.

Agreed that there is a risk of a false positive and that this can upset one’s vacation plan, as mentioned upthread. The tests can’t have too high a rate of false positives, though, as I believe the 120 positive cases to date is out of something like 70,000 tests. That’s at worst 2 per 1,000. I would still rather they test than not.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by economyplusfan
As I said, testing is optional. If you don’t test you have to quarantine. Your choice. You don’t have to have a test to get on the plane.

Agreed that there is a risk of a false positive and that this can upset one’s vacation plan, as mentioned upthread. The tests can’t have too high a rate of false positives, though, as I believe the 120 positive cases to date is out of something like 70,000 tests. That’s at worst 2 per 1,000. I would still rather they test than not.
My main reason for bringing this up in the first place was because of the Governor's request to get a more uniform Safe Travels program in place that’s the same on all islands. With neither HNL nor OGG doing a post arrival test and the current positivity rate from the post arrival test on KOA being so low, it makes sense to just get rid of it to be more uniform with the rest of the safe travels program as Maui nor Oahu have had any issues by not giving one. I want to go to the Big Island on my upcoming Hawaii trip and stay in my vacation rental I usually stay at, but don’t want to risk a last min false positive test and having to pay for a separate hotel to quarantine on the island. I’d also assume that that 120 figure does not include false positives that were confirmed with a second lab based negative COVID Test so we don’t really know the true # of false positives. Most experts state that the molecular COVID test are only 85% accurate.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 12:41 pm

Programs: AS 75K
it makes sense to just get rid of it to be more uniform with the rest of the safe travels program as Maui nor Oahu have had any issues by not giving one.
Now that some time has passed I'm wondering what the data shows in regards to big island vs. the other islands. Has the second test statistically lowered the spread or instances of the virus?
Old Mar 12, 2021, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by mtofell
Now that some time has passed I'm wondering what the data shows in regards to big island vs. the other islands. Has the second test statistically lowered the spread or instances of the virus?
According to the Hawaii COVID dashboard (https://health.hawaii.gov/coronavirusdisease2019/) it doesn’t seem like it’s made much of a difference. Ironically, Honolulu County (Oahu) has the lowest positivity rate of 1% (outside of Kauai which is shut down) while having the fewest restrictions with no test requirements for inter-island travel. Hawaii County has a 1.4% positivity rate while Maui County has the highest positivity rate a 2.7%.
mtofell likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
The NAAT is at best 75-80% sensitive, but it is essentially 100% specific. Meaning false positivity isn’t an issue.

the risk of traveling to a place that tests you on arrival is an unexpected positive, not a false positive. The neighbor islands don’t have the healthcare infrastructure to accommodate much of that....
Old Mar 15, 2021, 9:13 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
The current policies do not make accommodations for fully-vaccinated travelers.
Hoping this starts to change. The requirement for testing doesn't make much sense if a passenger is fully vaccinated based on the available information we have
dlaue and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Hoping this starts to change. The requirement for testing doesn't make much sense if a passenger is fully vaccinated based on the available information we have
Hawaii is also reporting on "breakthrough" COVID cases; these are people who get full-blown COVID even though they were fully vaccinated (2+ weeks passed since 2nd shot.) Right now there's 3 breakthrough cases in Hawaii. While the vaccines aren't 100% efficacious, Hawaii would probably want to see some more accepted post-vaccine data before changing any requirements/rules. If there's even just a handful of new breakthrough cases reported in the next week, it would probably spook the powers-that-be not to change rules in the short term while waiting for more long term data.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.