Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2021, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by exp
You mean 24 hours before check in hotels will refund?

or cancel up to 24 hours after booking?
24 hours prior to checkin. You have a cash upfront booking?
Old Mar 20, 2021, 6:48 pm

Programs: AS 75K
I've gone back and forth mainland to Hawaii 15+ times since Covid started and am still learning things about the process. My test results through Kaiser have typically come back within 24 hours which means before I'm eligible to fill out the Health Questionnaire at T-24 (I generally take my test within an hour of T-72). But one time the results were late and I realized it's possible to get the almighty QR code but still not have test results uploaded. Of course, once anyone scans the QR code they can see you don't have test results in yet. It just confused me since I thought once I had a QR code I was done but that's not the case.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 10:03 am
Community Director Emerita

I've filled out the questionaire and almost instantaneously got my QR code. There were some interesting points in the accompanying email:

If you depart to Hawaii without your test result uploaded, or as a paper copy, you will be required to complete a 10-day quarantine even if you receive your test result during your 10-day quarantine period. The state will no longer allow travelers to upload tests after departure to Hawaii.

(On arrival) Be prepared to show a copy of your reservations for lodging and return flight, if applicable.

Re the first point, I've read recent accounts of folks who got their test results while they were in the air enroute to Hawaii. I take the first point to mean that they will not be allowed to submit them and will be subject to quarantine on arrival.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I've filled out the questionaire and almost instantaneously got my QR code. There were some interesting points in the accompanying email:

If you depart to Hawaii without your test result uploaded, or as a paper copy, you will be required to complete a 10-day quarantine even if you receive your test result during your 10-day quarantine period. The state will no longer allow travelers to upload tests after departure to Hawaii.

(On arrival) Be prepared to show a copy of your reservations for lodging and return flight, if applicable.

Re the first point, I've read recent accounts of folks who got their test results while they were in the air enroute to Hawaii. I take the first point to mean that they will not be allowed to submit them and will be subject to quarantine on arrival.
The ban on results arriving while in the air has been in place for a couple of months.

The other issue not mentioned here is United and Alaska (and perhaps other airlines...not sure) are pre-approving test results people at the departure airport and issuing a wrist band. So you don't have to do anything as you exit the plan for the State of Hawaii, you just leave the airport.

I don't recall showing any copy of our housing arrangements, but you should have entered it into the Hawaii site when you created the trip record.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 12:19 pm

Programs: United Two Million Miler; United 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
I just returned from Guam and stayed in HNL for a couple of days. A couple of observations:
On LAX-HNL I flew United and I was able to get my QR code verified in LA and I was given a bracelet. You could do this on the concourse, in the United Club (if you have access) or at the gate. Once in HNL, the National Guard checked your bracelet and you were home free.
From Guam to HNL, I got the COViD test results and converted them to PDF and uploaded. I got the pending verification note and it never did get verified. Once in HNL the person behind the desk had to look up the lab to see if it was on the list and said it was not verified beacause it was a jpg, not a pdf. This was not true. Nevertheless he called a supervisor and I was good to go. I did chuckle as they always seem to need a supervisor. How about train and empower your staff to make decisions. Another topic I guess.
On the return from HNL I flew Hawaiian. Not too much hassle for my departure. However, on concourse C yesterday, a Saturday at 1 pm, multiple full flights were arriving and none of the flyers had bracelets. Thus the processing line extended back to my gate C1 and it looked like at least an hour wait to clear and be admitted to Hawaii, maybe longer. Clearly the airport checkpoints were understaffed and overwhelmed. I pity the poor supervisor who probably had to verify nearly everyone. ​​​​I’m sure many inter island connections were missed as a result of this.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 12:46 pm

If you depart to Hawaii without your test result uploaded, or as a paper copy, you will be required to complete a 10-day quarantine even if you receive your test result during your 10-day quarantine period. The state will no longer allow travelers to upload tests after departure to Hawaii. I've read recent accounts of folks who got their test results while they were in the air enroute to Hawaii. I take the first point to mean that they will not be allowed to submit them and will be subject to quarantine on arrival.
I got an email from Alaska Airlines with the same message.

If your negative test results are still pending and we are unable to pre-clear you, we can move you to the next available flight. Otherwise, you will be required to self-quarantine on arrival in Hawai'i for 10 days or the duration of your stay, whichever is shorter. Testing or further document verification will not be available upon arrival in Hawai'i.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 9:37 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
How long is it usually taking for the QR code to change to exempt? I received the qr code immediately but it's saying N/A for exempt. I have my walgreens test uploaded and it says negative, I'm traveling along with 3 young ones so just hoping this goes smoothly.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 9:51 am

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
How long is it usually taking for the QR code to change to exempt? I received the qr code immediately but it's saying N/A for exempt. I have my walgreens test uploaded and it says negative, I'm traveling along with 3 young ones so just hoping this goes smoothly.
I think it always says "exempt" and "N/A" for screened. I believe those have to do with workers and military that are exempt from the process you are going through. I've never noticed mine to change from that and have gone through 10+ times without a problem. As long as you have your test uploaded and have answered the health questionnaire at T-24 hours everything should go smoothly.
LASUA1K likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Bill Dead

The state Senate in Hawaii ended up killing the bill that would have kept a universal travel policy in place across all of the islands. With that dead, island/county mayors can still have different COVID rules in place. Although once Kauai rejoins Safe Travels in April, the islands will pretty much be on the same page for except:
-Interisland travelers still won't need to test out of quarantine on flights into Honolulu
-Maui arrivals still need to download their contract tracing app
-Big Island arrivals are still subject to an additional, albeit free, quick COVID test upon arrival

With the pace of vaccinations picking up, Hawaii should be pretty well vaccinated by the start of summer travel season and I'd expect more restrictions to fall.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 2:52 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
The state Senate in Hawaii ended up killing the bill that would have kept a universal travel policy in place across all of the islands. With that dead, island/county mayors can still have different COVID rules in place. Although once Kauai rejoins Safe Travels in April, the islands will pretty much be on the same page for except:
-Interisland travelers still won't need to test out of quarantine on flights into Honolulu
-Maui arrivals still need to download their contract tracing app
-Big Island arrivals are still subject to an additional, albeit free, quick COVID test upon arrival

With the pace of vaccinations picking up, Hawaii should be pretty well vaccinated by the start of summer travel season and I'd expect more restrictions to fall.
I'll bet Mayor Derek goes back on his plan and continues to kill the Kauai economy while the others forge ahead. I hope I'm wrong.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 3:47 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Do all the testing partners listed on the site have quick turnarounds?

What are the costs and logistics of the quarantine if you fail the test?

In fact if you fail the test, you won't be allowed to board the flight and you can change to different dates?
Old Mar 23, 2021, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by exp
Do all the testing partners listed on the sitehave quick turnarounds?

What are the costs and logistics of the quarantine if you fail the test?

In fact if you fail the test, you won't be allowed to board the flight and you can change to different dates?
If you read through the two main threads here on the topic, there are dozens and dozens of reports on speed of results return, ( and your other questions as well) which can be anywhere from an hour, to 48-72 hours. Each vendor has a stated timeline, but during the December/January surge, some vendors seriously struggled to meet their "guarantees". Note, typically, but not absolutely, the fastest results cost more money.

The cost of quarantine would depend on the hotel involved, and is totally the responsibility of the traveler. I have not heard any other definition of a price...I don't think the State is saying the per diem is XXX per day, or limiting it in any way.

The general statement is you can't get on a plane without a negative test. But there has been no proof that it is consistently enforced by the airlines...they don't want to be in that enforcement position. But, if you get put into quarantine, which WILL occur if you don't have a negative test, you can't buy your way out with a late test result or a fast test at or near the airport. Just get the test.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 6:05 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Of course I would get a test.

But I would book the flight and hotels long before I take the test close to departure.

I guess I better look for refundable hotel reservations and easily changed flight tickets.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by exp
Of course I would get a test.

But I would book the flight and hotels long before I take the test close to departure.

I guess I better look for refundable hotel reservations and easily changed flight tickets.
Other than a few special cases, like award bookings at Hilton family members, aren't the vast majority of bookings refundable/cancelable? Most airlines allow cancellations with a credit.

We are getting our Covid test tomorrow for a Saturday flight. Flight and hotel are fully concealable up 24 hours prior to departure (check in for the hotel). We booked them months ago.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 7:32 pm

We're headed to Hawaii. We have done all the following:
  1. Registered on https://travel.hawaii.gov/#/welcome
  2. Had our COVID test within 72 hours of departure at a State of Hawaii approved site; had the NAT test
  3. Received negative NAT results
  4. Uploaded to Hawaii.gov site and printed out a hard copy
Now what? I see people talking about a QR code. Will we see something on the Hawaii.gov site? Do we need to keep checking?

Is there preclearance in at the San Diego airport? AS has flies nonstop to several of the Hawaiian islands.
24 hours from departure, a questionaire was open on the travel.hawaii.gov site. Once I filled it out and submitted it, near instantaneously I got a QR code.

We flew SAN-KOA on AS. An AS agent was going person to person at SAN to check for the QR code. We also had to show personal identification. We were then given a wrist band. On arrival in KOA, we walked down the steps from the plane, were given a round disk (which purpose was never obvious to me), walked thru a long path outside the terminal, dropped the disk in a basket someone was holding, and were sent inside. There we were given a dollop of hand sanitizer and filled out a questionaire. We then went thru many more twists and turns within the terminal and eventually got to people to whom we handed the questionaire. I thought we were done but no, we were sent outside to technicians who swabbed our noses. We were told we would hear within 2 hours if we failed our latest Covid test. I believe that 100% of our plane was tested though didn't stick around to be sure. We then wended our way outside around the terminal and waited for our car rental van.

Once at the car rental office, we had to bring up our QR code on our phone before being allowed to rent a car. They would not accept a paper copy as they said there had been too much fraud. The final time that we had to show the QR code was at our hotel as a requirement to be allowed to check in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.