Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2021, 9:30 am

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
short visit to Hawaii? (departed without COVID test results)

So, a very good friend of mine (who is a smart, reasonable, professional adult) and her husband to UA328 from Denver to Hawaii yesterday (tues)
... I was able to use PP to get them both upgraded to Polaris - due to the events over the weekend, the 777 was swapped out to a 787
... very nice flight
Landed in Hawaii
... denied entry since they did not have their COVID test back
... given option to quarantine for 9 days in their hotel (the length of their visit)
... or return home on the next flight
... boarded the same plane (no upgrades available) and returned a few hours later.
She said they got tested locally in Denver on Sunday
... sounded like the results were not back in time to board (on tues)
... but somehow, someone, not only let them board - but told them "dont worry, you can fix it when you land"?

Having walked by the UA B-gates for Hawaii in DIA several times and seeing at the COVID stuff - it is unclear why this process broke down

more details to follow......
Old Feb 24, 2021, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mfirst
So, a very good friend of mine (who is a smart, reasonable, professional adult) and her husband to UA328 from Denver to Hawaii yesterday (tues)
... I was able to use PP to get them both upgraded to Polaris - due to the events over the weekend, the 777 was swapped out to a 787
... very nice flight
Landed in Hawaii
... given option to quarantine for 9 days in their hotel (the length of their visit)
... boarded the same plane (no upgrades available) and returned a few hours later.
... but somehow, someone, not only let them board - but told them "dont worry, you can fix it when you land"?

Having walked by the UA B-gates for Hawaii in DIA several times and seeing at the COVID stuff - it is unclear why this process broke down

So many wrong things in here it's hard to know where to start.
1) Not sure how "smart" your friend is, having decided to ignore the plethora of information provided by the State and United about quarantine requirements if negative test not in hand before flight.
2) At the pre-clearance in Denver, if a negative test is not presented, the travelers sign statements that they will be required to quarantine or they do not get a wristband. Simple as that.
3) If they arrive w/o a wristband, they will be asked for a valid negative test or they will have to go into quarantine at a valid location (ie not a short-term rental property), just like the written (and provided) rules state.
4) Anyone can get on a flight to Hawaii - with or without a test. Nobody is denied boarding by UA due to lack of test - UA does NOT check for test, nor is UA required to. UA does provide plenty of info regarding testing/quarantine requirements. Don't say they didn't get provided the info - they did - they may have chosen to ignore it. UA provides it multiple times and in multiple places. I've gotten on multiple times without a test - I go into quarantine.
5) One is not "denied entry" into Hawaii, but one is allowed in, but into quarantine. The only people who "denied" are those who are supposed to quarantine and refuse to provide a valid (and verifiable) accommodation - they go to jail. Sound like your friends had quarantine-appropriate accommodations reserved, but decided they didn't want to quarantine. That's NOT "denied entry". That was their choice to leave instead of quarantining.

The only process that broke down is that your friend decided NOT TO READ THE QUARANTINE RULES for Hawaii, or did and decided they could scam their way out of them. Sorry, this is 100% their fault. There are almost daily stories here of people who decide the rules provided to them are "loose". They aren't. There's no asterisk saying "The written rules provided multiple times can be overridden by a non-official third party who says "You can sort it out there".

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Feb 24, 2021 at 10:10 am
Old Feb 24, 2021, 9:53 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
The requirement to have proof of a negative test before boarding a flight to Hawaii is clearly specified here: https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel/
Old Feb 24, 2021, 10:00 am

IAH -
In general, I tend to agree with you - and in fact, I think I might have even said "make sure you have your COVID test".... I need to talk to them to get the details.
I know my friend wasn't trying to scam anyone... but something is odd
... I wonder if they thought that their test results, performed on Sunday in a capital city in the USA, would have been back in time?

Part of posting this is not to lay blame - but to emphasize that this stuff is "real" and while everyone thinks that everything is wonderful if you have a negative COVID test... the world is much different if you dont (or let alone to consequences if you somehow test positive)......

-m
ExplorerWannabe and Bellerina like this.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 10:01 am

... very nice flight
Landed in Hawaii

Really no one to blame but the people traveling. I just got back from a two week stay in Maui and before we left for the islands, I quadruple checked all the travel requirements. But -- at least your friends got a nice ride in Polaris!
Old Feb 24, 2021, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

..... I wonder if they thought that their test results, performed on Sunday in a capital city in the USA, would have been back in time?...
It doesn't matter one iota - the rules provided to them clearly state a negative test result must be in hand prior to departure to avoid quarantine. Again - anyone can get on a plane to Hawaii (with or without a valid negative test in hand), but no negative test in hand before departure means quarantine. I think your friend is a bit smarter now....

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Feb 24, 2021 at 10:14 am
Old Feb 24, 2021, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IAH -
In general, I tend to agree with you - and in fact, I think I might have even said "make sure you have your COVID test".... I need to talk to them to get the details.
I know my friend wasn't trying to scam anyone... but something is odd
... I wonder if they thought that their test results, performed on Sunday in a capital city in the USA, would have been back in time?

Part of posting this is not to lay blame - but to emphasize that this stuff is "real" and while everyone thinks that everything is wonderful if you have a negative COVID test... the world is much different if you dont (or let alone to consequences if you somehow test positive)......

-m
test results are not forwarded to hawaii, they come back to patients... if they boarded while results were not available - it's on them... denver has multiple walgreens with hawaii approved rapid 24 hr tests available and scheduling is not an issue right now.. this is either ignorance or arrogance - akin showing up for international flight with expired passport...
BlueZebra likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 10:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
That would reflect a surprising lack of due diligence. It's not exactly a secret that test-delays are a big problem nationwide.

Also, unless the samples are processed on-site, Sunday is the worst day to do a test, because they're typically not even shipped off to the lab until Monday.

To me, this is like going to the airport for an international departure without checking visa requirements. No one but the passenger to blame.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 11:39 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

I'm fairly skeptical the above happened exactly like that. UA doesn't check results to board. And I'm really skeptical that even if a conversation happened, someone would say it could be fixed when you land.

I don't have time to count them all - but my last trip, completed last Monday was overwhelming in the volume of emails, text messages, app and kiosk warnings on travel to Hawaii and testing requirements - and reminders on enrolling in the safe travel program - to the point of overkill
Old Feb 24, 2021, 11:45 am

I am getting more details - but she was working with an "official trusted partner" as approved by the State of Hawaii for testing.... was her only local option for testing and she could not schedule any other time with them......

When she called the hotel to cancel their reservations - the hotel people said "yeah, we deal with this stuff all the time - the rules by the State are a mess"

there is more to this than just a passenger feeling the rules dont apply - sounds like the systems are broken.......
Old Feb 24, 2021, 11:45 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
As HNLbasedFlyer just posted, I received at least six E-mails from United the weeks and days before my flight from ORD to HNL last month. Here is one of them:
Don’t forget - action required before your flight to Hawaii
One final, required step before your flight in Hawaii:
Go to your Safe Travels account at https://travel.hawaii.gov/#/, upload your negative test result and complete the health questionnaire before boarding. Once completed, you will receive a QR code to present during travel.
All passengers must upload negative test results BEFORE departure. Uploading test results after departure will result in a 10-day quarantine upon arrival.
Passengers connecting through Hawaii are exempt from testing requirements; however, they must complete the Safe Travels application and are subject to the entry requirements of their destination.
Safe travels!
Old Feb 24, 2021, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...there is more to this than just a passenger feeling the rules dont apply - sounds like the systems are broken.......
There are no "broken systems". The ONLY failure here is your friend not having a test in hand for departure, as communicated multiple times to them. It was their choice, and their choice only, to board a plane without a valid negative test when they were warned multiple times that it would result in quarantine. They are victims only of their own chosen ignorance, not "broken systems". Ignorance by ignoring (or not being bothered to read) the provided travel info is not an excuse. There is nothing else to blame - you have provided zero evidence of anything not working like it was supposed to. Their responsibility was to have a negative test in hand prior to boarding and the only thing they needed to avoid quarantine. Providing third-party comments to somehow suggest evidence that your friends' situation was someone else's fault is just deflecting.

What exactly didn't work as it was supposed to after your friends boarded a plane without the required test (their responsibility, and their choice), as informed by multiple communications by United???? A delayed test result is not United's or the State's fault. If the test provider promised results before departure, that might be something broken.

I'll provide a third-party comments I've heard from visitor industry veterans numerous times here on my home island (Maui) - "I can't believe how many people ignore the information provided and have to cancel (or shorten) their trip".

I've traveled to/from Hawaii a dozen times since this whole thing started. Nothing is broken other than some travelers choosing 1) not to read the rules, 2) read and ignore the rules, or 3) read the rules and think they are "loose" somehow.

One actually has to be kind of oblivious to get on a United plane nowadays to Hawaii with all the information pushed at them by UA multiple times and then be "surprised" at the other end. Very few people on each flight arrive "surprised", which suggests your friends weren't among the brightest on the plane. Most of your friends' fellow passengers are here, enjoying their stay - because they read and followed the guidelines.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Feb 24, 2021 at 12:56 pm
Old Feb 24, 2021, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL

there is more to this than just a passenger feeling the rules dont apply - sounds like the systems are broken.......
The system is not broken. Thousands of travelers are successfully visiting HI daily. OTOH, boarding a flight to HI without having a negative test result is "broken."
cruisr likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by artvandalay
The system is not broken. Thousands of travelers are successfully visiting HI daily. OTOH, boarding a flight to HI without having a negative test result is "broken."
+1. I've had no issues whatsoever complying with the guidelines on my trips over the past few months.

The Safe Travels site states in no uncertain terms: "Travelers without a negative test result before boarding the final leg of their flight MUST quarantine for 10 days or the length of their stay, whichever is shorter."

It seems the OP's friends either failed to conduct a basic level of research, or felt they could circumvent the rules; regardless, it's on them.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by artvandalay
...OTOH, boarding a flight to HI without having a negative test result is "broken."
Well, not really - even that is not "broken" if one knows one is going into quarantine. A non-insignificant fraction or returning residents board w/o a test knowing they are going home and into quarantine.

The people who think the system is "broken" are those who run into things that don't work like they want them to. Unfortunately for some, the traveler does not get to determine the rules.

Originally Posted by aacar
...It seems the OP's friends either failed to conduct a basic level of research...
They didn't even have to research - UA practically brings the book to them, opens to the applicable page, and reads it to them.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 24, 2021 at 2:10 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.