Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2021, 5:48 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by scottinaz
We are visiting Maui soon and we have gone through all the testing and gotten our QR code. The Maui site says you also have to install the Aloha Safe App on your phone but it doesn't say what you would do with it. It appears it is a tracking and notification app for people who you may encounter who test positive. So does anyone have any experience with what we are required to do with this app? Do we just need to install it or do we need to activate the tracking? If we need to activate the tracking is there any check on when you activated the tracking?

It appears it uses bluetooth for tracking but airplane mode will disable bluetooth so it doesn't make much sense to activate it on the plane, so when?
Same experience as BlueZebra. I downloaded the app and had it open on my phone the entire trip, but no one ever asked to see it. Checking whether I had it was NOT part of the screening at the airport. The purpose is for contact tracing all around the island, not on the plane.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by gobears293
Same experience as BlueZebra. I downloaded the app and had it open on my phone the entire trip, but no one ever asked to see it. Checking whether I had it was NOT part of the screening at the airport. The purpose is for contact tracing all around the island, not on the plane.
Thank You
Old Apr 30, 2021, 9:04 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Yeah, they threatened the tracking app but never followed through with it. I'm totally speculating but I think they just didn't want the legal hassles.... after all, Covid or not this is still a free country, right?
LETTERBOY and scottinaz like this.
Old May 1, 2021, 7:46 pm

You don't do anything with the app. On iOS, it's the local (Hawaii) front end for the Exposure Notifications Settings in the OS. You'll be prompted to enable that iOS setting when you install and open the app. there's a similar app and settings for Android.

It also provides a way to notify you of any potential exposures and it also provides a way for you to upload a code from the health department if you test positive. There's a different front end app for each locality that supports it. Aloha Safe is the Hawaii app.

You can always turn off exposure notifications in the Settings app on iOS.

The data is all anonymous, so there's really no reason not to do it.

-David
hawaii-bound likes this.

Last edited by LIH Prem; May 1, 2021 at 7:55 pm
Old May 3, 2021, 11:24 am

Having a tough time finding the answer to this one - if anyone can help point me to the right direction, I'd appreciate it!

Later this month, we're heading to the Big Island for 4 days and then over to Maui for 7 days. One of our family members just recovered from Covid and is eligible for the 90 day exemption with doctor's note. It's clear how to apply for this exemption for the trans-pacific flight to Kona (through the State of Hawaii AG website). However, there's a comment on the AG site that inter-island travel exemptions need to be applied for through the county websites. I can't find anything on the Maui County website that allows you to apply for this exemption. Does anyone know if the main application works for continuing travel or is there some way to apply for the interisland exemption that I don't know about?

Thank you so much for your help!
Old May 3, 2021, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA-Plat
Originally Posted by emosley
Having a tough time finding the answer to this one - if anyone can help point me to the right direction, I'd appreciate it!

Later this month, we're heading to the Big Island for 4 days and then over to Maui for 7 days. One of our family members just recovered from Covid and is eligible for the 90 day exemption with doctor's note. It's clear how to apply for this exemption for the trans-pacific flight to Kona (through the State of Hawaii AG website). However, there's a comment on the AG site that inter-island travel exemptions need to be applied for through the county websites. I can't find anything on the Maui County website that allows you to apply for this exemption. Does anyone know if the main application works for continuing travel or is there some way to apply for the interisland exemption that I don't know about?

Thank you so much for your help!
This may help:
https://www.mauicounty.gov/2394/Requ...uarantine-Form
Old May 4, 2021, 12:56 am

How does the pre-travel testing work for one-day layover on two separate airlines?

I plan on departing from LAX and arriving in HNL on Delta around 7pm, and fly from HNL to LIH the next morning around 9am.

Assuming I did the pre-travel testing 48 hours prior to departing LAX (which would still be within 72 hours of arriving LIH), do I still need another pre-travel testing in HNL prior to leaving for LIH the next morning?

I am confused if booking two separate reservation would prevent the testing in LA from being valid in LIH.... I have to do separate booking because Hawaiian air doesn't have flight leaving HNL after arriving HNL on Delta around 7pm.
Old May 4, 2021, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by hawaii-bound
Thanks! Unfortunately that form appears to be only for essential work or end of life/medical reasons, with no mention of the 90-day recovery exemption. Could there be another form somewhere?
Old May 4, 2021, 11:01 am

Programs: AA-Plat
Originally Posted by emosley
Thanks! Unfortunately that form appears to be only for essential work or end of life/medical reasons, with no mention of the 90-day recovery exemption. Could there be another form somewhere?
Found the correct link for you:

SPECIAL INSTRUCTION FOR TRAVELERS RECOVERED FROM COVID-19

https://ag.hawaii.gov/travelexemption/
Old May 4, 2021, 11:29 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
How does the pre-travel testing work for one-day layover on two separate airlines?

I plan on departing from LAX and arriving in HNL on Delta around 7pm, and fly from HNL to LIH the next morning around 9am.

Assuming I did the pre-travel testing 48 hours prior to departing LAX (which would still be within 72 hours of arriving LIH), do I still need another pre-travel testing in HNL prior to leaving for LIH the next morning?

I am confused if booking two separate reservation would prevent the testing in LA from being valid in LIH.... I have to do separate booking because Hawaiian air doesn't have flight leaving HNL after arriving HNL on Delta around 7pm.
Your original LAX testing will continue to be valid so long as your flight to HNL departs within 72 hours of your test time.
Old May 4, 2021, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
Your original LAX testing will continue to be valid so long as your flight to HNL departs within 72 hours of your test time.
so, even though the flights LAX-HNL and HNL-LIH are on two separate reservations and two airlines (i.e. technically, not a connecting one-way flight), the original testing from LA can still count when i land in LIH?
Old May 5, 2021, 8:59 am

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
Not to mention what everyone leaves out, e.g., that you might actually become symptomatic and require treatment.
The physician in me always thinks that as I read these posts. The Covid tests are exceptionally accurate from a specificity standpoint - false positives aren't really an issue with he NAATs. What you need to worry about when you get on an airplane and fly a quarter of the way around the world to a rock in the ocean with VERY limited high-end medical capability is a TRUE positive. This risk of that is low for the fully vaccinated, but if it happens, it has the potential to be catastrophic.
Old May 5, 2021, 11:00 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by cmculp
The physician in me always thinks that as I read these posts. The Covid tests are exceptionally accurate from a specificity standpoint - false positives aren't really an issue with he NAATs. What you need to worry about when you get on an airplane and fly a quarter of the way around the world to a rock in the ocean with VERY limited high-end medical capability is a TRUE positive. This risk of that is low for the fully vaccinated, but if it happens, it has the potential to be catastrophic.
Maui isn’t using the NAAT test for the post-arrival, they are using cheaper antigen test which are not nearly as accurate. PCR test are only given if the first test comes back positive in which you will need to quarantine until the PCR test comes back.

Last edited by MCO Flyer; May 5, 2021 at 11:05 am
Old May 5, 2021, 2:16 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
so, even though the flights LAX-HNL and HNL-LIH are on two separate reservations and two airlines (i.e. technically, not a connecting one-way flight), the original testing from LA can still count when i land in LIH?
You should call the Safe Travels number to confirm.
Old May 5, 2021, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
You should call the Safe Travels number to confirm.
I did. The phone agent said: once you leave the airport, you have to re-test to go to another island. So overnight layover, you have to re-test again in honolulu, unless you sleep inside the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.