Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2020, 4:22 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Originally Posted by nomad420
Basically they are is saying, no test results don't bother to travel to Hawaii. Seems a bit harsh given the requirement..
What would be less harsh? Hawaii cares more about curtailing covid that it cares about a handful of tourists. Maybe it will stop people from getting on the plane that have even the slimmest of doubt. Just because you "feel good"...means nothing.

Originally Posted by fs2k2isfun
The bureaucracy behind a "trusted testing partner" is absurd, labs are already certified by a competent authority, why does Hawaii need their own certification?
I would say the answer to this question is: Because they can make their own rules?

If you think a few extra hoops will stop the tourism, it won't. People will play by the rules and tourism will slowly improve. Everyone else can stay home.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 10, 2020 at 4:40 pm Reason: multi-quote
Old Nov 10, 2020, 6:12 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
My suggestion to the OP - connect from Europe through either the bay area or SEA and get a test at one of the partners there. I am taking the Carbon test with Alaska in Seattle tomorrow - a friend took it today and the turnaround time for results was 20 minutes. You should be able to take one of the rapid tests and if you happen to land in the morning, you have a decent shot of being able to take an evening flight to Hawaii with results in hand.

I'm not excusing the bureaucratic hoops that you have to jump through, just presenting a rapid alternative.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 7:41 pm

Programs: DL DIA/MM AS MVPG75K Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by sullim4
My suggestion to the OP - connect from Europe through either the bay area or SEA and get a test at one of the partners there. I am taking the Carbon test with Alaska in Seattle tomorrow - a friend took it today and the turnaround time for results was 20 minutes. You should be able to take one of the rapid tests and if you happen to land in the morning, you have a decent shot of being able to take an evening flight to Hawaii with results in hand.

I'm not excusing the bureaucratic hoops that you have to jump through, just presenting a rapid alternative.
Except that Carbon testing is booked out in Seattle till some time in Dec I believe.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Took my Vault test on Monday, for a flight on Thursday. Late Tuesday night got my negative result.
Now, I got an email with a receipt, full of very technical info and an email which basically says negative. And then told to go to the Vault website to "download your results" but there's really nothing to download, just a line item saying negative without any test particulars.

Do folks print to PDF the detailed receipt and use that on the Hawaii portal, or something else?
Old Nov 11, 2020, 6:13 am

HI Pre Teavel Carbon Health

Our Medical Plan lists Carbon Health El Camino Medical Group as a Provider and we only have to pay $15 Co Pay vs $185 with Vault. I made an appointment fir my Parents and I at their Cupertino Valco Mall location for Bointume which is within the 72 hour margin on Nov 24rh Tuesday for our Friday 7 AM Flight. just in case of any delays on arrival and these were the open times for all three.

Just to Confirm we will be fine as we fly on SW from SJC to Mauit r/t. I chose Travel as the reason for the tests.

We all filled out the Pre Travel Online Form..Do we just show a printed copy of our test results with the QR Code?

Mahalo
Old Nov 11, 2020, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by MDTyKe
As a Hawaii resident it’s all getting a bit exhausting. The fact the State needs “approved partners” is frustrating, when any CLIA lab should count.

I also travel to Europe from HI and I can see no way to do that without planning several day long layovers on the East Coast to try and get an appointment at a CVS, who don’t let you schedule more than 3 days in advance, to get back to work.

It’s incredibly frustrating for us islanders I’m not going to lie; especially as a lot of these in-airport tests are landslide. It makes it almost impossible to book a trip to/from Europe or anywhere internationally. (Immigration restrictions are not applicable). Even business meetings or weekend trips on the Mainland are now out as no-one can get their ducks in a row. It’s easier for tourists at this point. Our State needs to open it to any CLIA lab, who are Federally recognized with rigorous standards. The fact they want partners is absurd.
Agree. I can get a Yellow Fever Vaccine anywhere its administered. Perhaps only certain vendors for money kickbacks? I thought a PCR Test given by my own Dr. is more reliable than a CVS nurse. My insurance covers it. Why should I pay $185 when I can walkin for a test paying $15 CoPay?
Old Nov 11, 2020, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by sullim4

My Medical Plan in rhe SF Bay Area is affoliated with Carbon Health and we have one in Cupertino would this work? Our Insurance covers it.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 9:58 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Took my Vault test on Monday, for a flight on Thursday. Late Tuesday night got my negative result.
Now, I got an email with a receipt, full of very technical info and an email which basically says negative. And then told to go to the Vault website to "download your results" but there's really nothing to download, just a line item saying negative without any test particulars.

Do folks print to PDF the detailed receipt and use that on the Hawaii portal, or something else?
Create a . pdf from the first page of the report (with the negative result) by using print, then the dropdown to choose save to . pdf as your “printer.” Watch where the .pdf is being saved, then upload that to Hawaii’s site.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 11:05 am

I just got off the phone with Carbon Health and confirmed that the Test will work for travel to Hawaii. Our Insurance covers it with a $15 Co Pay which is very reasonable vs the $180 Mail In Test. The agent said that we would get the results more than likely before our Flight as they will try to prioritize travel tests.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by philemer
He said they "were planning to tweak the program". Have you read anywhere that they have actually made it official yet?
No, I haven't seen this yet. The Governor would need to amend his emergency order to make that change and I've yet to see evidence of that happening yet. However, the change could be implemented very quickly and enforced the following day he makes the order.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 2:20 pm

Just returned from Honolulu on Southwest.
Process was very easy - did the Walgreens rapid test on a Monday morning for a Wednesday afternoon departure from OAK -> HNL. Had results within 30 minutes. Uploaded to the Safe Travels site and was automatically deemed "Covid Negative".
Upon landing - took 1 minute for rep to scan QR code and verify ID and quarantine exemption status was updated immediately.

As a perk, there were 8 people out of 175 on the return flight from HNL to SJC! Plenty of room to social distance!
nomad420 likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by wunderpit
What would be less harsh? Hawaii cares more about curtailing covid that it cares about a handful of tourists. Maybe it will stop people from getting on the plane that have even the slimmest of doubt. Just because you "feel good"...means nothing.
Well just sticking with the original plan, you stay in quarantine until your test results are available and presumably negative. Up until recently you were rechecked at some Hawaii airports as well. Although I would add that some hotels won't let you in until you show BOTH your pre departure test AND your arrival results.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 5:24 pm
pxm

Does anyone how Hawaii is handling COVID-19 testing in different time zones. As an example, my flight departs at 2:00 p.m. from LAX, after connecting from ORD. If I test at the 72 hour mark in Chicago (12 noon Central), would they take into account the 2 hour difference between the central and pacific time zones?
Old Nov 11, 2020, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by pxm
Does anyone how Hawaii is handling COVID-19 testing in different time zones. As an example, my flight departs at 2:00 p.m. from LAX, after connecting from ORD. If I test at the 72 hour mark in Chicago (12 noon Central), would they take into account the 2 hour difference between the central and pacific time zones?
Everything discussed here in the various threads, and from the state website says the test must be done within 72 hours of the departure time of your last flight segment. So your test must be done within 72 hours of your scheduled departure time from LAX.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 7:21 pm

Programs: DL DIA/MM AS MVPG75K Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
Everything discussed here in the various threads, and from the state website says the test must be done within 72 hours of the departure time of your last flight segment. So your test must be done within 72 hours of your scheduled departure time from LAX.
To be clear.. 72 hours from your flight segment that takes off from the mainland and lands in Hawaii (think of first port of entry if we were talking about immigration into a different country.) For some people "last flight" terminology might be misleading if they a MIA-LAX-HNL->OGG type routing.

72 hours from the SCHEDULED departure time of your flight that leaves an airport that is not in the state of Hawaii and lands at an airport that is in the state of Hawaii. 72 hours. You can figure out what time that is in your home time zone as it might be different from that one that your flight to Hawaii leaves from if you have a connetion.

Originally Posted by pxm
Needs to be 72 hours from when your LAX-Hawaii flight is scheduled to depart, so yes, 12 noon in Chicago. Based on the experience of others: print out and bring a copy of your testing time confirmation.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 12, 2020 at 4:23 am Reason: consecutive posts merged

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.