Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2020, 8:58 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rabilancia
Coupled with the (however remote) possibility of a false positive result, it is this risk that I will not accept and will be soon cancelling my annual "January pilgrimage" to the Island of Hawaii.
If you get a positive rapid results test at the airport they immediately do a PCR test and those have been turning around in about 24 hours on the island, so your odds of being trapped in quarantine beyond 24 hours after a false positive are pretty low.

With the rate of confirmed positives increasing though as the number of inbound passengers decreases, I'd be more concerned about more restrictions/lockdowns than I would be of false positive tests impacting trip plans.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 11:58 am

I've uploaded a my test and the Hawaii Safe Travels site confirmed negative. Do I also need to upload a recent photo of myself? How do I confirm that I'm exempt from the quarantine?
Old Nov 5, 2020, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by erics2356
I've uploaded a my test and the Hawaii Safe Travels site confirmed negative. Do I also need to upload a recent photo of myself? How do I confirm that I'm exempt from the quarantine?
Yes, you need to upload a photo, I just used my iphone and sent the image. BTW, note all documents have to be pdf files.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Pending approval from county lawyers, starting this weekend, Hawaii Island will select 20% of arrivals at ITO and KOA for mandatory secondary screening at the airport. The rest will be free to go as long as they show negative pre travel test results.

On another note, the second test on Hawaii Island continues to detect positive COVID travelers with a negative pre-travel test. In October, 8 positive passengers were confirmed. On November 1-2, an additional 4 confirmed positive passengers who came in with negative test results were identified.

These travelers must stay quarantined inside a hotel room for 14 days at their expense. The passengers who flew within +/- 2 rows are being contacted by Hawaii Department of Health for monitoring/testing/quarantine.
Were those positive post arrival test on the Big Island? I had not heard those kinds of numbers and in fact what I am being told by my local people is the reason for the proposed 20% testing level upon arrival is because the post arrival testing has shown little if any positivity.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 2:45 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
That's what I've read in The Garden Island as well. Seems like the post-arrival tests are yielding very low positive rates:

Few positive tests in post-travel program | The Garden Island
Old Nov 5, 2020, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by nomad420
Were those positive post arrival test on the Big Island? I had not heard those kinds of numbers and in fact what I am being told by my local people is the reason for the proposed 20% testing level upon arrival is because the post arrival testing has shown little if any positivity.
These are double-confirmed positives; they tested negative pre-travel, but tested positive upon arrival, and tested positive again through a PCR test.

The reason to go down to 20% is purely for cost; the island can't afford the $75,000/day its costing to test everyone on arrival.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 4:11 pm

These are double-confirmed positives; they tested negative pre-travel, but tested positive upon arrival, and tested positive again through a PCR test.

The reason to go down to 20% is purely for cost; the island can't afford the $75,000/day its costing to test everyone on arrival.
Didn't you say this was funded by some local billionaire. I guess even the Island's guardian angle billionaire is getting a little tapped out by that . While numbers are a bit higher than I was told they are not horrifically high.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by sullim4
That's what I've read in The Garden Island as well. Seems like the post-arrival tests are yielding very low positive rates:

Few positive tests in post-travel program | The Garden Island
That is a different test program: that's the statewide follow-up test which is different from the islands' optional second tests and Hawaii Island's mandatory second test. That statewide program hasn't found many positives, but they haven't been clear on the methodology.

The Hawaii Island 2nd test is finding about 1 positive passenger with every 350 negative pre-travel test arrivals this month.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it should not be anywhere near that much - afaik various test costs are $5-50 depending on type and one time machine cost is in 10K ballpark; on current BI scale of 500 tourists it should be $10-20K per day
nomad420 likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
it should not be anywhere near that much - afaik various test costs are $5-50 depending on type and one time machine cost is in 10K ballpark; on current BI scale of 500 tourists it should be $10-20K per day
The biggest expense is labor; they have county employees working overtime to supervise the process, corral the passengers, process paperwork. And then there's the expense paid to the airport for rent of the space they're occupying. And finally, you have the medical provider charging around $135/test to the state.

KOA ITO Test Changes

Last edited by Weatherboy; Nov 5, 2020 at 6:44 pm
Old Nov 5, 2020, 7:12 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
The biggest expense is labor; they have county employees working overtime to supervise the process, corral the passengers, process paperwork. And then there's the expense paid to the airport for rent of the space they're occupying. And finally, you have the medical provider charging around $135/test to the state.

KOA ITO Test Changes
Then maybe the governor should use some of the millions in federal assistance that we failed to use on a contact tracing program...... despite claiming one was in place? Just sayin.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 7:50 pm

Programs: DL DIA/MM AS MVPG75K Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by azepine00
I believe that number includes the cost to pay the Civil Defense workers to manage the testing each day along with transportation of those people to the airports likely meals for them, plus the testing itself, and then I am sure a ton of other fees that the gov't come up with. So while I agree with you... I am sure somehow by the time they are done it somehow reaches an unreasonable number.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 10:45 am

Programs: DL DIA/MM AS MVPG75K Bonvoy Plat
The website for the AA partnership with Letsgetchecked for pre-testing doesn't seem to show KOA as a valid destination choice when ordering a test (only HNL, OGG and LIH.) I am guessing this is simply an error on their website? Can anyone confirm if they have used LetsGetChecked and arrived at KOA?

Per Mondays announcement from AA, Phoenix flights were added to the pre-test program and we are looking for a testing option for the AA PHX-KOA flight.

https://www.letsgetchecked.com/us/en/american-airlines/ Does not show KOA as a valid destination.

thx.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 11:29 am

Hawaii Test Changes Effective Today

Hawaii Island is rolling out test changes today.

At ITO, there won't be changes though: 100% of arriving travelers coming in through the pre-travel testing program will be tested.

At KOA, using a secret process, 25% of arriving passengers will be selected to take the mandatory test. If a selected passenger is flying with a group/family, everyone in that party will be tested.

Kohala coast resorts continue to open up. Some of them are requiring their own rapid test (at their expense or bundled into the resort fee) upon check-in regardless of airport test results.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 5:12 pm

Kohala coast resorts continue to open up. Some of them are requiring their own rapid test (at their expense or bundled into the resort fee) upon check-in regardless of airport test results.
Your nostrils are going to need a break after arriving....geezzz. You would think they would accept two negative test within 72 hours of arriving on their door step, one of which is probably within an hour of arrival. I guess if they pay for what the heck!
LETTERBOY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.