Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2017, 12:21 am

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), SK Gold (*A Gold), airBaltic VIP, Hilton Gold, PP
It is a kind of weird that AY has not (re)started flights to Stuttgart. The German economy has been booming for years and Stuttgart is a major city from this point of view. In March SK will restart direct flights to Stuttgart...

At the airport there is a nice BA lounge available also for Schengen and domestic (AB) pax. ^
Old Feb 14, 2017, 1:01 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by Justinus
It is a kind of weird that AY has not (re)started flights to Stuttgart. The German economy has been booming for years and Stuttgart is a major city from this point of view. In March SK will restart direct flights to Stuttgart...
Roughly 200 km north is Frankfurt, 200km south is Zurich and 200km west is Munich. So Stuttgart is not out of reach with the current destinations and with the ICE from FRA it takes just over an hour to Stuttgart.

SK flies already now to STR from CPH. The new route is from ARN and a single flight on weekdays.

To fit into AY's schedule they need 2 daily flights to feed the LH flight. I don't know if there is enough demand even when flying E90 only if you want to earn money on that route.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 1:43 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
...At the airport there is a nice BA lounge available also for Schengen and domestic (AB) pax. ^
I would actually argue with the use of word "nice" for that BA lounge. IIRC, that BA lounge is not actually operated by BA, only under the BA brand.

Re the HEL-STR-HEL route, it would suit me very well once a year, when heading down to the Cannstatter Volkfest (Stuttgart's version of the Oktoberfest) so that I could avoid using AB...
Old Feb 14, 2017, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by Jainzar
Roughly 200 km north is Frankfurt, 200km south is Zurich and 200km west is Munich. So Stuttgart is not out of reach with the current destinations and with the ICE from FRA it takes just over an hour to Stuttgart.
I feel that the AY connection would be competitive for the Asian connections. Just like me, many Germans avoid FRA at all cost (though the terminal used by AY is a bit better than the hassle at the LH terminals).

SK flies already now to STR from CPH. The new route is from ARN and a single flight on weekdays.
Which again means that there seem to be increasing demand... After all, CPH and ARN do not have all the Asian connections that HEL has to offer.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 8:37 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
New charter flights to Murmansk:

Finnair in summer 2017 season plans to offer Helsinki – Murmansk flight, operating as scheduled charter, with a mix of ATR72 and A319 aircraft. Reservation is not open to individual travellers.

Planned schedule from 13MAY17 to 30SEP17 as follow.

AY7601 HEL0715 – 1000MMK AT7 6
AY7602 MMK1140 – 1415HEL AT7 6

From 27MAY17 to 24JUN17, service operates with Airbus A319 with revised schedule:
AY7601 HEL0815 – 1000MMK 319 6
AY7602 MMK1140 – 1325HEL 319 6

Extra service also scheduled on 10JUL17 / 21JUL17 / 01AUG17 / 12AUG17 with A319:
AY7605 HEL1015 – 1200MMK 319
AY7606 MMK1330 – 1510HEL 319
http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...route-20170220
Old Feb 20, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton

At the airport there is a nice BA lounge available also for Schengen and domestic (AB) pax. ^
An old friend of mine used to be a regular, Stuttgart area based flyer on this route and later also worked briefly for AY Plus especially regarding the German market.

He blasted AY Germany sales managers as amateurs and was really surprised how they were able to run down the STR operations.

I'd just say it was AY incompetence regarding the German market and also a certain kind of corporate account focused arrogance (and misunderstanding of German Mittelstand company culture and importance thereof) that prevents them from being successful at certain regional airports there.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by mosburger
I'd just say it was AY incompetence regarding the German market and also a certain kind of corporate account focused arrogance (and misunderstanding of German Mittelstand company culture and importance thereof) that prevents them from being successful at certain regional airports there.
I once happened to have a discussion with the AY people in Germany. I asked why AY is stuck always to the same airports and does not fly i.a. to Cologne-Bonn. This person answered that the airport is too close to DUS.

Yet Cologne-Bonn is a major business area with no direct connections to Asia. So AY expects those pax travel (often) more than a hour to DUS, take AY to HEL and connect to Asia, while they can more conveniently take LH to FRA and continue directly to Asia. The route via HEL would be much faster... How do you know that you will not be successful in a market, if you don't even try?
Old Feb 21, 2017, 10:26 am

I once happened to have a discussion with the AY people in Germany. I asked why AY is stuck always to the same airports and does not fly i.a. to Cologne-Bonn. This person answered that the airport is too close to DUS.

Yet Cologne-Bonn is a major business area with no direct connections to Asia. So AY expects those pax travel (often) more than a hour to DUS, take AY to HEL and connect to Asia, while they can more conveniently take LH to FRA and continue directly to Asia. The route via HEL would be much faster... How do you know that you will not be successful in a market, if you don't even try?
There is some thought in this.

While some northern parts of Cologne and Leverkusen have rather good connections to DUS via ICE/IC/RB/RE/S trains or by car/taxi, eastern and southern areas are well populated and much easier to reach from CGN.

Also the whole Bonn area with numerous industrial companies in Bruehl, Wesseling etc. is already a considerable distance from DUS.

My idea would be to have one daily rotation HEL - CGN connecting from the "Asian Wave" and then an evening return CGN - HEL for the BKK, HKG and SIN red eyes.

Mainland Chinese, Japanese and Korean destinations are maybe better covered from DUS, IMHO.

With Rail & Fly tickets it would be possible to catch customers from as far as Euskirchen, Koblenz and/or Trier if there is a sales manager with real understanding of local companies, their culture and premium holiday travel & specialized travel agencies.

Turkish and the Gulf Airlines have shown how much potential there is in the German company & premium market, you just have to know and respect your customers and what they want.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 11:16 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Finnair usually wants to have at least 2 daily in the shorthaul traffic.

HEL-CGN would be around 2:20-2:40 flying time and to fit the waves the morning flight would leave HEL somewhere around 07.00-08-00 arriving CGN 09.00-10.00, allowing for the first return CGN-HEL to fly earliest at 9.30 but more likely waiting in the ground for a nice connection to the afternoon flights.

Schedule could be something like:
HEL-CGN 07:30-09.00
CGN-HEL 11.30-15.00

HEL-CGN 16.00-17.30
CGN-HEL 18.30-22.00

Even the embraers could do the rotation without refuelling, but if premium market is the target, current E90s are not the best choice.

Last edited by intuition; Feb 21, 2017 at 11:26 am
Old Feb 21, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)

With Rail & Fly tickets it would be possible to catch customers from as far as Euskirchen, Koblenz and/or Trier if there is a sales manager with real understanding of local companies, their culture and premium holiday travel & specialized travel agencies.
Provided Finnair would actually be willing to sell a Rail & Fly ticket combo. Tried a few years back, as on DB's site they had Finnair listed as a partner, but regardless of whom I tried to talk to at AY, no one even heard of it, so they could not sell it to me...
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
There is some thought in this.

While some northern parts of Cologne and Leverkusen have rather good connections to DUS via ICE/IC/RB/RE/S trains or by car/taxi, eastern and southern areas are well populated and much easier to reach from CGN.

Also the whole Bonn area with numerous industrial companies in Bruehl, Wesseling etc. is already a considerable distance from DUS.

My idea would be to have one daily rotation HEL - CGN connecting from the "Asian Wave" and then an evening return CGN - HEL for the BKK, HKG and SIN red eyes.

Mainland Chinese, Japanese and Korean destinations are maybe better covered from DUS, IMHO.

Regarding Japanese it is no surprise since it is the Japanese center in Germany.

Well, why only add CGN and STR and not also DTM, FMO and HAJ. Actually SK gives up BRE so that should be maybe also on the list. Just from the size we can argue for any of these airports more or less the same way.

Turkish and the Gulf Airlines have shown how much potential there is in the German company & premium market, you just have to know and respect your customers and what they want.
TK is a special case given the millions of Turkish descent living in Germany. If only half that amount would be people of Finnish descent Germany might be AY's second core market.
I haven't checked all Gulf airlines but they also fly to pretty much the same destinations like AY themselves.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
As intuition explained, that just wouldn't work. It would feed traffic from Asia except HKG and SIN, and then feed traffic to from HKG and SIN but not the rest of Asia... leaving nobody but the odd EU-HKG,China-EU openjaw traveller served.

Most regular/business destinations thus have two rotations per day. But at a minimum, Finnair can alternate morning and afternoon rotations based on day of week, though this obviously restricts the flexibility for long-haul customers.

That said, the CGN catchment area is not only close to DUS. It is conveniently reached by train from FRA. If only AY would actually sell DB transfers like LH does (AY is listed as DB partner, but nobody knows how to actually buy the transfer ticket).
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by Courmisch
That said, the CGN catchment area is not only close to DUS. It is conveniently reached by train from FRA. If only AY would actually sell DB transfers like LH does (AY is listed as DB partner, but nobody knows how to actually buy the transfer ticket).
IMHO it is absurd to think that business people from the CGN area would be willing to take a train (and experience all the hassle it implies) to FRA or DUS just in order to experience the pleasure of flying AY. Instead they just fly to MUC and continue with LH.

Yes, I do believe that here would be a good market for AY, since flights to Asia are much shorter via HEL. Some 10 flights a week would do the trick.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:31 am

Regarding Japanese it is no surprise since it is the Japanese center in Germany.
Yes, I have lived in the area for many years and was in Dusseldorf and Cologne last time a couple of days this January. NH aka All Nippon Airways even flies from DUS to NRT with their widebody staying on the tarmac for some five hours at the DUS end.

Well, why only add CGN and STR and not also DTM, FMO and HAJ. Actually SK gives up BRE so that should be maybe also on the list. Just from the size we can argue for any of these airports more or less the same way.
Stuttgart has the automotive suppliers that have major operations in Asia. These are some of the largest and most successful companies on an European scale, even if they are mainly considered Mittelstand in Germany.

Cologne catchment area features the "federal city" of Bonn with Deutsche Post, the UN city and other international organizations and a strong industrial manufacturing base plus the art & design and other international fairs.

HAJ and BRE might also be possible destinations if research, marketing and sales are done properly. If KLM can do it, why not Finnair?

TK is a special case given the millions of Turkish descent living in Germany. If only half that amount would be people of Finnish descent Germany might be AY's second core market.

I haven't checked all Gulf airlines but they also fly to pretty much the same destinations like AY themselves.
I doubt many of the Turkish immigrants actually fly TK as there are numerous and cheaper charter and regular services available to Anatolia and other places of origin within Turkey.

TK would be more oriented towards the Turkish middle class and Turkey oriented businessmen in Germany while also selling a lot of connections to Africa, Asia and elsewhere.

The Gulf airlines are restricted in their amount of destinations in Germany and would actually like to fly to more cities.

Last edited by mosburger; Feb 22, 2017 at 12:55 am
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by Courmisch
It's quite a distance to DUS from south of Cologne.

There are some small and even larger cities and stations east of Cologne on the HSR line to Frankfurt Airport that indeed are well served if one is prepared to pay the separate ICE ticket fee.

I just checked and the walk-in fee for, say, Siegburg(/Bonn) to Frankfurt Airport for today is 62 - 72 euro for one direction in 2nd class. So 124 - 144 euro for the train tickets alone on a return trip.

Rail & Fly might indeed attract more customers to FRA flights, but maybe more from the directions of Hannover, Wuerzburg, Darmstadt, Heidelberg etc.

As Justinus mentioned, a Cologne area businessman or holidaying couple can just as easily park their car at CGN and fly to Asia one stop via MUC.

Last edited by mosburger; Feb 22, 2017 at 12:54 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.