Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2017, 1:38 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Yeah, full flat would be overkill, but just doing 2+2 with wide recliner seats would be great. But then AY would have to fixate the size of the J cabin and they clearly would rather move curtain to row 2 than to op-up people on shorthaul. (Funny, since they have no issues giving away longhaul J seats like candy)
Old Feb 23, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I would never even dream of AY reconfiguring all of their A321s. My wish is they would set aside a number of A321s for longhaul and equip those with extra fuel tanks and real J seats.

DXB is a pure holiday destination from the Finnish perspective, so there's no paid-J demand there. I'm not quite sure about TLV, though. And India would be a completely different thing. With good timings, they would be able to attract pax flying from North America to India.

Btw, IB is one of the European airlines that has a middle-haul product with narrowbodies and a real J class. Not lie-flat but recliner seats in 2+2 configuration. They use them on SVO, CAI, TLV, SSG, LOS.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by mosburger
Once CX starts CPH - HKG and makes feeder flight arrangements to ARN, GOT and OSL (and of course HEL), we shall see if those strategy points are still valid.

Is CX starting to serve CPH?
Old Feb 23, 2017, 7:54 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I'm not sure if it is a dream or if Mosburger has some inside info. But CX has a great office in CPH, so they are already established.

Google tells me CX was quoted 2 years ago saying CPH was on a list of suspects:
"Direct flights in Tel Aviv, (expected next year in August), . James Tong said. Other studies also offer direct flights to places including Munich, Berlin, Copenhagen, Stockholm, as well as Hawaii, Houston, and even Miami. "
Old Feb 23, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by ff_flyer
Not replacing initially, 8 new and leased A321 airplanes (not ER though) on order and the first one (OHLZ-) will start in ~2 weeks,
OH-LZM and coming today.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by intuition
As for the shorthaul fleet it seems clear AY is currently aiming for better yields by high density and thus we will not see any improvements in hard product for a long time if ever. Perhaps they are having a hard time to decide weather or not the shorthaul fleet is indeed a separate operation and thus competing with DY (no J) and SK (ludicrous J) or if it is an integral part of the longhaul business.

I'm guessing they are not selling many EU O/D standalone J tickets. The response should IMHO not be to make EU J crappier but instead focus on the SH as a part of LH operations.

Real J seats to the connecting people!
Why not lease some of the AB narrow body birds including the crews?

They offer much better seats up front than any current AY short haul alternative and the crew service attitude is also superior to most AY European ones plus they can interact better with Austrian/German/Swiss passengers.

I really miss those old "designated biz seat" AY 319 DUS/FRA/TXL - HEL J runs with the superb pursers and delicious Nordic food and the two mostly excellent red/white wine options.

CX is somewhat impersonal compared to that but it became my airline of choice due to constantly offering a hard product standard for frequent flyers where comfort is assured.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 3:49 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Keep dreaming about A32S seating... its space flex all the way from now on. AY is barely breaking even, and the low oil price days are over, so its back to lowest operating unit cost projects.

Corporate rates offered by AY in MUC are blanket 1800-2200€ in J to anywhere in Asia the two daily flights can connect to.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 4:08 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by OH-LGG
OH-LZM and coming today.
It did indeed, took off from Hamburg Finkenwerder and arrived HEL 20:42. After that no activity.

How long before all staff has sampled the new-car-smell and the new bird will fly for real?
Old Feb 24, 2017, 7:41 am

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE)
It did indeed, took off from Hamburg Finkenwerder and arrived HEL 20:42. After that no activity.

How long before all staff has sampled the new-car-smell and the new bird will fly for real?
Hehe, the smelling sessions will last little less than 2 weeks this time.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Comparisont to that Qatar A320 with 2+2 business lie-flats, that is a reason enough for me to book a 6 h flight in J. I don't see why Finnair could not use such conf efficiently on several of their 5-6 h routes.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by FFlash
Comparisont to that Qatar A320 with 2+2 business lie-flats, that is a reason enough for me to book a 6 h flight in J. I don't see why Finnair could not use such conf efficiently on several of their 5-6 h routes.
Those seats are really hard to sell for basic Aurinkomatkat - waist bag -travellers.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Those seats are really hard to sell for basic Aurinkomatkat - waist bag -travellers.
Gonna change that. I wanna book Solartravel next time and have a waist bag
Old Feb 26, 2017, 1:11 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by ff_flyer
Hehe, the smelling sessions will last little less than 2 weeks this time.
Well, it looks like OH-LZM is is on the runway going to IVL as AY477 tonight, so that was two short weeks!
Old Feb 26, 2017, 1:14 pm

First service is AY477 to IVL. Right now.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 1:19 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Yeah, tell me something new
(check post 553)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.