Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2016, 12:36 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by ffay005
In BKK, you didn't leave the plane. In J, you could if you wanted to, though. Don't know what HKG practice is or would be.
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Quite the contrary. Though I've flown only a few such flights - e.g. KUL-BKK-AMM or LHR-DBX-MCT On these you couldn't leave the plane at the transit airport if it wasn't your destination.
Ok, then I see the point. Such a transit is likely somewhat shorter than connecting to a CX/KA flight (but not much).
I've been on the SYD-LHR but since i got off midways i can't remember if others stayed on.

Originally Posted by mosburger
Dragonair flies to both Jeju and Okinawa, I think. Also rather hard to compete with CX Holidays in the premium package tour market.

In Winter, wonder if Sapporo is doable from Hong Kong in the available time? That is a very attractive skiing and outdoor destination unfortunately not yet well known in Europe.
Yes KA flies both routes, that's why I know about the HK airlines competition. Both CJU and OKA are small airports and they get jampacked by these 2 airlines.

I think CTS is a great choice too, but again, I'd rather have a non-stop.
And wIth Japan destinations we must not forget that AY is bound by the Joint venture. Tuck a HKG-Japan on the end of AY69 and I guess that whole flight suddenly is under BA control? Or AY needs to do a codeshare with themsleves to separate out the HEL-Japan flight on a separate flight number?

Finally, for AY to utilise the 9hour downtime in HKG, they must give up the 9hour rubberband effect they now use to solve any and every operational problem with. Any delay in their small fleet has a ripple effect and that is mitigated by delaying AY69 up to 9 hours. Or perhaps they would keep on doing that, and instead just cancel the last leg of the flight and rebook pax onto CX/KA? Doable, but costly I think.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 1:17 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
TPE, pls TPE!!
Sure, but as I said, I don't think that's possible.

AY selling HKG<->TPE would be cabotage, since both destinations are legally in China. The fact that only the four big HK and TW carriers operate the route tends to confirm it. And of course, they would need one more slot at HKG. Probably not worth it if they can only carry passengers all the way from HEL.

Ditto HKG<->SYX.

(hardly any direct flights from Europe, a few CI and a KL from AMS)
There is also BR direct from CDG, and via BKK from LHR, AMS and VIE.

Last edited by Courmisch; Oct 16, 2016 at 2:52 am Reason: Grammar
Old Oct 16, 2016, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Courmisch
AY selling HKG<->TPE would be cabotage, since both destination are legally in China.
Interesting point, lawyers would get rich on arguing this - both are in China, but one is in the ROC the other is a special region of the PRC

An interesting article from The Economist on the subject from 2001 (!) - so many a thing have changed since then.

http://www.economist.com/node/656231

at that time " Cathay gets about 12% of its revenues from its “golden route” to Taipei. On it, Cathay already faces competition from two Taiwanese carriers and from Thai Airways."
Old Oct 27, 2016, 1:48 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
CKG temporary killed January 11, 2017 to May 2, 2017 due to pilot A350 training.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 1:56 am

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by intuition
CKG temporary killed January 11, 2017 to May 2, 2017 due to pilot A350 training.
Excellent!

And the press release is there:

http://www.finnairgroup.com/mediaen/...l_2345128.html
Old Oct 27, 2016, 1:59 am
Moderator, Finnair

Nae, I was just looking into those nice 400€ fares to CKG.

They are also cancelling "some flights to Nagoya in the spring".
Old Oct 27, 2016, 2:10 am

Is it more difficult to wet lease an AC for a route to China? Or why else would they temporarily cancel a route? Low loads on this one?
Old Oct 27, 2016, 2:16 am
Moderator, Finnair

Low loads, yes. But there might also be governmental subsidies offsetting some of that downside. So I quite wonder why they wouldn't lease an aircraft for this route when they happily fly hifly to JFK.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 2:38 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Could this article be rather implemented as an intent or even a confirmation of upcoming flights from Helsinki to Astana (Kazakhstan)? Don't know the actual circumstances or the sources for this.

http://www.inform.kz/ru/novye-aviare...-2017_a2963093
Old Oct 27, 2016, 3:38 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by ff_flyer
Excellent!
Why is it excellent?
Old Oct 27, 2016, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
From yesterday's TV news about the presidential visit to Iran

"... discussing direct air- and rail connections ..."

So Sauli obviously read our musing on a HEL-IKA route

OTOH direct RAIL connections would only need a 50 km or so stretch to connect the Azeri and Persian network and while it might be useful for Finnish exporters, that project will not be lead by Finnish desires

Even more OTOH I attended an event with the Finnish ambassador to Iran, who proudly mentioned that the two countries have a common neighbour - I think he might need to refresh his 1987-edition world atlas
Old Oct 27, 2016, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by jmmi
Is it more difficult to wet lease an AC for a route to China? Or why else would they temporarily cancel a route? Low loads on this one?
Probably yes, Russian overfly permits can be an obstacle for using wetleased airplane.
AY has monopoly to operate from Finland and across Russian airspace and this is dictated on a bi-lateral agreement between both countries.
It may be very difficult to obtain a permit for another operator in a short notice, and we are talking about years in this context.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 6:39 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Originally Posted by intuition
Low loads, yes. But there might also be governmental subsidies offsetting some of that downside. So I quite wonder why they wouldn't lease an aircraft for this route when they happily fly hifly to JFK.
As far as I've understood Open Skyes agreement between US and EU allow all EU and US airlines to operate on any route between these regions (so prob it is enough that the airline and the aircraft are registered in EU, but not necessarily in same country), but bilateral agreements between Finland and Asian countries obviously require not just the airline but also the aircraft being registered in Finland. Agreements are the reason why it is so easy to put those wet-leases on US routes.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 7:36 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Probably yes, Russian overfly permits can be an obstacle for using wetleased airplane. (...) It may be very difficult to obtain a permit for another operator in a short notice, and we are talking about years in this context.
I'll believe you on that but:
AY has monopoly to operate from Finland and across Russian airspace and this is dictated on a bi-lateral agreement between both countries.
Hmm, JAL is also flying from/to Finland via Russian airspace. And IIRC, HNA was considering it, though maybe they gave up because of those politics?
Old Oct 27, 2016, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Courmisch
I'll believe you on that but:

Hmm, JAL is also flying from/to Finland via Russian airspace. And IIRC, HNA was considering it, though maybe they gave up because of those politics?
I already wrote a lenghty response earlier, but it vanished into thin air as my browser crashed.
But in short, to be precise AY is the only Finnish airline allowed to fly FROM HEL (or other cities) and BACK across Russian airspace.
There was until very recently an additional requirement that airplane must be registered to same country that the airline is registered to, but my data may be outdated here.

I presume there is similar agreement between FI and JP that allows JAL to operate over RU airspace from JP to FI and back, as they operate now.

Many EU states have similar deals between their own countries and RU.
You are required to have a permit to fly from A to B and possibly over country C, which is RU in this case.
Why AY is not using HiFly or any other wetlease on eastern routes is most probably due to the overfly restrictions, which may be hard acquire in a short notice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.