Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2016, 12:20 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by ffay005
AY flew to MMK via RVN a long time ago. 15 years, maybe.

What about KUL? I think they never started that one either, or did they? It was supposed to be flown as HEL-KUL-SIN.
KUL was announced in 2006 but never started. It was HEL-BKK-KUL-BKK-HEL 3 per week AY093/AY094.

Then later in JAN 2007 KUL was cancelled for HKG nonstop and BOM 5 per week. SIN was axed in May 2007.

Last edited by OH-LGG; Oct 14, 2016 at 12:27 pm
Old Oct 14, 2016, 2:14 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
With MH joining OW in 2013, KUL makes a lot more sense now than back then, IMHO. The AY press release tried to sell it as a second Thailand:
Sight-seeing and climate-wise, Malaysia is equivalent to neighbouring Thailand as a travel destination. Kuala Lumpur is a modern city with almost a million and a half inhabitants and offers excellent shopping opportunities both in modern shopping centres and on smaller shopping alleys and streets. The city also offers top-rate hotel accommodation.
http://www.finnairgroup.com/mediaen/...144219618.html

But they decided to go with SIN in may 2011, I guess KUL is off the list.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 11:05 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Will the second HKG daily be flown with the HKG-based outsourced crew or the Finnish "regular" crew?
Old Oct 14, 2016, 11:09 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by lkrt
Will the second HKG daily be flown with the HKG-based outsourced crew or the Finnish "regular" crew?
Maybe. Last year HKG double 61/62 was Asian crew only.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 11:17 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
KUL was announced in 2006 but never started. It was HEL-BKK-KUL-BKK-HEL 3 per week AY093/AY094.
Of course it was, and not HEL-KUL-SIN. I don't know what made me make such a mistake! AY even had a crew base in BKK, out of which Finnish FAs could spend weeks flying to SIN and back (and later also HKG). Some even brought their families to BKK.

I wonder if there really is no destination to which AY could profitably fly from HKG with the plane that stands idle there for 9 hours. Since they have HKG-based crew, there wouldn't even be any accommodation costs.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 11:30 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Of course it was, and not HEL-KUL-SIN. I don't know what made me make such a mistake! AY even had a crew base in BKK, out of which Finnish FAs could spend weeks flying to SIN and back (and later also HKG). Some even brought their families to BKK.

I wonder if there really is no destination to which AY could profitably fly from HKG with the plane that stands idle there for 9 hours. Since they have HKG-based crew, there wouldn't even be any accommodation costs.
They could maybe reach HAN, SGN, MNL or BKK. But would it be profitable? I suppose they studied it and decided "no".

And HK-TW is probably reserved for Greater Chinese carriers.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
AY flew to MMK via RVN a long time ago. 15 years, maybe.

What about KUL? I think they never started that one either, or did they? It was supposed to be flown as HEL-KUL-SIN.
At the "meet the loyalty team" DO I specifically asked Pekka V about KUL and he said it won't happen.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TPE, pls TPE!!

(hardly any direct flights from Europe, a few CI and a KL from AMS)
Old Oct 15, 2016, 1:55 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
A HEL-TPE direct would be nice but I think what people here are suggesting is a connection service from HKG. And that seems pretty pointless. What could AY possibly offer on HKG-TPE that the 17 daily CX/KA flights can't?

In 9 hours turnaround ex HKG I can't really see a viable new destination.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 2:12 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by intuition
A HEL-TPE direct would be nice but I think what people here are suggesting is a connection service from HKG. And that seems pretty pointless. What could AY possibly offer on HKG-TPE that the 17 daily CX/KA flights can't?

In 9 hours turnaround ex HKG I can't really see a viable new destination.
Also, KLM has a captive point-to-point market from AMS.

KUL won't either be featuring in any AY plans since SIN opened. OW connections to Indonesia, Malaysia and the Philippines are available through HKG on CX/KA and the rest of AY pax to that region flies via SIN.

What I do wonder about if AY would be able to strike a deal with local tourist authorities on large enough subsidies for holiday flights (and the few business pax) from Europe to Hainan in China, Okinawa in Japan and/or Jeju in Korea?

Those are really interesting destinations on their own and well worth a trip from Europe, even.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What could AY possibly offer on HKG-TPE that the 17 daily CX/KA flights can't?
Additional revenue to AY and a no-transit trip to TPE.

Quite similar situation to those flights that continue from BKK. Currently e.g. AI - BKK-SIN, ET- BKK-KUL but I flew LH, RJ and TK as well from BKK intra-Asia.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 2:26 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by mosburger
What I do wonder about if AY would be able to strike a deal with local tourist authorities on large enough subsidies for holiday flights (and the few business pax) from Europe to Hainan in China, Okinawa in Japan and/or Jeju in Korea?

Those are really interesting destinations on their own and well worth a trip from Europe, even.
I have no insight in Hainan, but the to others are indeed good choices and serviceable from HKG in the spare hours. There are some competition already on the routes, HK airlines. Aren't they owned by Hainan airlines? Assuming there will be competition on Hainan too then.

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Additional revenue to AY and a no-transit trip to TPE.

Quite similar situation to those flights that continue from BKK. Currently e.g. AI - BKK-SIN, ET- BKK-KUL but I flew LH, RJ and TK as well from BKK intra-Asia.
Codeshares would get AY revenue with lesser risk.
What would the pros of a non-transit be? I mean, pax will still forced to leave the plane, right?
Old Oct 15, 2016, 3:00 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
What would the pros of a non-transit be? I mean, pax will still forced to leave the plane, right?
In BKK, you didn't leave the plane. In J, you could if you wanted to, though. Don't know what HKG practice is or would be.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quite the contrary. Though I've flown only a few such flights - e.g. KUL-BKK-AMM or LHR-DBX-MCT On these you couldn't leave the plane at the transit airport if it wasn't your destination.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 11:57 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
I have no insight in Hainan, but the to others are indeed good choices and serviceable from HKG in the spare hours. There are some competition already on the routes, HK airlines. Aren't they owned by Hainan airlines? Assuming there will be competition on Hainan too then.
Dragonair flies to both Jeju and Okinawa, I think. Also rather hard to compete with CX Holidays in the premium package tour market.

So, the flights would need to be targeted at ex-Euro passengers and probably also be sold more or less as package (flight & hotel) tours in those markets.

In Winter, wonder if Sapporo is doable from Hong Kong in the available time? That is a very attractive skiing and outdoor destination unfortunately not yet well known in Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.