Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2016, 12:37 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by intuition
SQ is letting go of a few A380 birds, so why not!
I don't see AY & A380 as a very likely scenario, but I surely don't have anything against spending a couple of minutes speculating about it.

The A380 hasn't proved to be a big success. I believe the biggest drawback is that airlines don't want to fly one huge plane from hub to hub, they want to fly direct between smaller airports because customers value nonstops and they want to have more frequencies between the hubs because customers value a schedule where they can pick a flight that suits them.

AY, on the other hand, will only fly to and from HEL. And if they add frequencies, they will fly on a very similar schedule (like NRT in the summer with two dailies, or BKK in the winter). So the aforementioned reasons why A380 isn't a success don't really apply to AY.

AY could probably acquire 1–2 planes very affordably. And they would probably be able to fill them year-round, too, with ticket prices similar to those of today. They might even benefit from having less J seats than they do now on two A330/A350s – less upgrades, more Y seats. A AY A380 would most definitely be a Scandic of the Skies karvalakkimalli, ie J seats similar to those on A350 (hopefully with a little more legroom) and Y+/Y similar to today's A350, no F and no real premium economy.

But would it really be feasible to operate a fleet of only 1–2 A380? Flight crews, mechanics, spare parts, irrops... Probably not.

What about landing fees? Is there a big difference in price if you operate two A350 vs. one A380 to NRT, for example?
Old Oct 10, 2016, 1:50 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by ffay005
I don't see AY & A380 as a very likely scenario, but I surely don't have anything against spending a couple of minutes speculating about it.
Yeah, that was my take on it too!

I think one big part of the non-success is that the slot situation hasn't become as dire as suspected. As long as there are two slots many airlines will appreciate giving their travellers the option of selecting departure time. Also, with two slots you can adapt to fluctuations in demand.
Like the AY61/62 slots. Fly two dailies when demand supports it, cut back to one when it doesn't. You can't just fly half the A380.

I think Hub/spoke versus point-to-point has less to do with it. The point-to-point model is a model of thinness - where other airlines only sees profitability connecting pax through hub, the LCC flies small aircraft P2P.
If a P2P pair of cities can sustain A380, then they would be someone's hub sooner or later!

As for demand, I guess Thailand is the obvious choice for a true scandic in the sky. NRT is a surprise with 3 flights within 40 minutes of each other. That is somewhere between 721 and 772 seats, ie more than any currently existing A380 config (Emirates has a 615 seater on typical scandic routes).

True, A380 would be a very rare bird in AY maintenance, but as far as crew I guess Airbus claims commonality and some simple re-training. AY could also team up with buddy BA for the A380 service.

What I think is cool about an AY A380 fleet is the range. It can reach most of the world (even though it is pretty unlikely there ever will be demand for any direct HEL-SYD or HEL-SCL or HEL-CPT) While I'm dreaming, the AY A380 surely must re-introduce first class and sport a sauna and a spa.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 11, 2016, 3:42 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
HEL has no gates capable of accomodating an A380 and I don't suppose there is any in the current expansion plan either?

(Sure an A380 can land at HEL, as LH already did, but only for emergency situation.)
Old Oct 11, 2016, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Courmisch
HEL has no gates capable of accomodating an A380 and I don't suppose there is any in the current expansion plan either?

(Sure an A380 can land at HEL, as LH already did, but only for emergency situation.)
I believe there will be one once the Non-Schengen extension is ready. Wikipedia states it as gate 49. Akbar al-Baker also humorously referred to this during the QR press conference: http://www.lentoposti.fi/uutiset/al_...sinki_reitille .
Old Oct 12, 2016, 2:42 am

Programs: BA Gold
Surely it would be more in line with Finnair's and Finavia's MO to bus pax to and from a prospective A380. No need to build an expensive jetbridge, think of the savings!
Old Oct 12, 2016, 11:25 am

VST will be cancelled: http://www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/vas...tsens-styrelse

I wonder if this breaks the record as the most short-lived AY route ever. Will SDA be on second place from now on?
Old Oct 12, 2016, 2:12 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Very odd interview. After three weeks of traffic they can tell ends won't meet?!
If you only have three weeks endurance, you shouldn't run an airport.

Also, he claims the airport can be profitable even without flights, as long as they have a competitive cost structure.

I smell some politics involved here. Maybe they wanted to remove aiport leadership and needed an excuse.

Last edited by intuition; Oct 12, 2016 at 2:22 pm
Old Oct 13, 2016, 4:42 pm

Programs: AY GOLD, HH GOLD
Originally Posted by Flythe96flag
Surely it would be more in line with Finnair's and Finavia's MO to bus pax to and from a prospective A380. No need to build an expensive jetbridge, think of the savings!
This is a good question. How many stand arrivals would be needed to reach the cost of a A380 jetbridge
Old Oct 13, 2016, 11:19 pm

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), SK Gold (*A Gold), airBaltic VIP, Hilton Gold, PP
Originally Posted by intuition
Very odd interview. After three weeks of traffic they can tell ends won't meet?! If you only have three weeks endurance, you shouldn't run an airport.
True. A few years ago AY cancelled MMK and LYS before these were ever started.

At least MMK would today be worth reconsidering...
Old Oct 14, 2016, 2:59 am

Programs: AY+ Gold (OWS)
LYS was cancelled because AY did not get permission to fly there from Norwegian authorities.

http://thebarentsobserver.com/en/ind...e-longyearbyen
Old Oct 14, 2016, 3:02 am

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by deissi
LYS was cancelled because AY did not get permission to fly there from Norwegian authorities.

http://thebarentsobserver.com/en/ind...e-longyearbyen
To be pedant, are we discussing LYR here?
Old Oct 14, 2016, 3:23 am

Programs: AY LUMO
LYS and LYR both cancelled before start.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 5:59 am

Programs: AY+ Gold (OWS)
Sorry, mixed up LYR and LYS.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 6:58 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
LYS is inside the EU and, AFAIK, AY has statutory rights to operate to/from there. But it got cold feet with the economic downturn of 2008 and cancelled it.

LYR - something else.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Justinus
True. A few years ago AY cancelled MMK and LYS before these were ever started.

At least MMK would today be worth reconsidering...
AY flew to MMK via RVN a long time ago. 15 years, maybe.

What about KUL? I think they never started that one either, or did they? It was supposed to be flown as HEL-KUL-SIN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.