Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2016, 7:33 am
Original Poster

They sent an email that next winter passengers can fly from TKU to MHQ. Well, it is actually the other way around. I guess they won't sell cheap one-way tickets. I miss the old days when they flew HEL-TKU-MHQ vv 4 times a day.

Even though there aren't too many passengers TMP and TKU will miss the connections from JFK.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 8:13 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
At least I don't see why TKU needs that connection as long as 2N flies MHQ - TKU.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 9:41 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Also seasonal TMP-KTT and TKU-KTT.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 11:57 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Jainzar
At least I don't see why TKU needs that connection as long as 2N flies MHQ - TKU.
I would have a comment or two to add regarding what TKU would need but better to constrain myself, I reckon.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 3:40 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
None of the triangle routes are there to serve traffic needs between maakuntakaupungit – the triangle is simply a way to cut down costs and have less empty seats. So the MHQ-TKU is practically a coincidence. If someone wants to fly only that segment, of course it is possible (and the interesting thing wil be to see how they price it – hopefully in a sensible way.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ffay005
None of the triangle routes are there to serve traffic needs between maakuntakaupungit .
Of course you are right. But the marketing department puts it like We are offering new connections like Turku-Helsinki and Jyväskylä-Kajaani. In addition I'm sure that there are only few passengers Flying Hel-Tmp via KOK and Hel-Tku via Mhq.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Västerås - Helsinki

Finnair will start a new code-share route from Västerås (or Stockholm/Västerås) to Helsinki. The flights will be operated by NextJet. There will be up to 3 flights/day starting in September.

BTW Next Jet was just sold to two Finnish companies.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by nordic
BTW Next Jet was just sold to two Finnish companies.
Will Nextjet become the next Norra/Flybe/Finncomm/Karair/Finnaviation/whatever? Will AY shuffle over the ATRs and perhaps even the E190s to Nextjet...
Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:52 am

Programs: BA Gold
An irregularity caught my eye on the OUL departure board when I was through yesterday (as in any destination aside from HEL ), the weekly scheduled flight to Gazipasa, which was discussed here upon announcement.

Curious as to how Finnair manages the logistics of the operation, I did some research on FR24 and was interested to find out Finnair has an early morning HEL-GZP which then flies to OUL, returns to GZP and back to HEL for the night. Very efficient indeed.

I guess this means one could spend the day in Gazipasa on a 'back-to-back' from HEL, with 12 hours on the ground.

Last edited by Flythe96flag; Jul 19, 2016 at 10:59 am
Old Jul 23, 2016, 9:11 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by nordic
In addition I'm sure that there are only few passengers Flying Hel-Tmp via KOK and Hel-Tku via Mhq.
I will fly that HEL - MHQ - TKU in a few months. Got the HEL - TKU flight cancelled and was rebooked on the later flight (7h layover in HEL ). I got it now changed to HEL - MHQ - TKU so no big deal anymore.

Interestingly you can't book my new itinerary at AY's website yet.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Flythe96flag
Curious as to how Finnair manages the logistics of the operation, I did some research on FR24 and was interested to find out Finnair has an early morning HEL-GZP which then flies to OUL, returns to GZP and back to HEL for the night. Very efficient indeed.
This is the way AY operates their intl flights that leave from domestic outstations. They have tested all kinds of things like flights to RVN and KTT from Europe (CDG at least, also perhaps AMS/FRA, don't really remember) and in the winter, they fly OUL-LPA once a week.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 9:55 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by ffay005
and in the winter, they fly OUL-LPA once a week.
That was with 75W and it was in early 2010's.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:38 am

Programs: AY Gold
Oulu used to have more direct flights, even to Thailand in mid winter. In Jan 2012 the gate next to mine at HKT had flight AY1948 to OUL.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by Andaman
Oulu used to have more direct flights, even to Thailand in mid winter. In Jan 2012 the gate next to mine at HKT had flight AY1948 to OUL.
This was winter 2011/2012 when 5K operated with A330 many of AY's leisure flights.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:38 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I have seen an A3 charter to ATH from KEM, amazing what people charter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.