Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Good news, is this the beginning of the end for Covid19?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2021, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Courmisch
How to get a SARS-COV-2 (COVID-19) RT-PCR test certificate for travel from Finland?

This wiki post details the means to obtain a PCR-test test certificate in Finland for travel. It is possible to completely avoid the cartel prices of over 200€ (Terveystalo, 9Lives, etc.) by getting a certified from the public sector.

Where to get the test?

Print-at-home test result certificates are available for public sector tests taken in the following regions:
  • Uusimaa,
  • Kymi valley,
  • Northern Ostrobothnia,
  • South Karelia.
The PDF certificate for the last test taken can be downloaded from KoronaTietoni ( https://www.koronatietoni.fi/ ) within an hour after the test results are notified by SMS. You will need Finnish bank or mobile authentication codes to proceed.

It is expected that, in the second phase of deployment of the EU green pass in Finland, test results will be available from Kanta.fi regardless of locality. At the moment, Kanta.fi can only provide Finnish national vaccination certificates. In the first phase of deployment, (only) the vaccination certificates will be converted to EU format.

How to apply for the test?

There are several ways to apply for and take a suitable test:
  • If you have Covid-19 symptoms (based on self-diagnostic), you can get a test via Omaolo: https://www.omaolo.fi/
  • If you are returning to (or entering) Finland less than 14 days before the intended test date, you can apply from FinEntry: https://www.finentry.fi/
  • Visit the appointment-free test bus in poorer Helsinki districts. The schedule is available here:
    https://www.hel.fi/helsinki/coronavirus-en/social-and-health/coronavirus-test/
Print Wikipost

Good news, is this the beginning of the end for Covid19?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2020, 1:21 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by r2d2
At least in Finland you are entitled to public healthcare even if you have created the need for care yourself (e.g. cigarette smoking, long-time heavy alcohol use, suicidal behavior, leisure travel to an area with an infectious disease without taking preventive medication/vaccination, or whatever reason).
The point is that the government won't be liable for bodily injury and negligent manslaughter if somebody dies from Covid after refusing to take the vaccine - as opposed to if somebody dies from Covid before getting a vaccine while the government wouldn't have taken any preventative restrictions.

Case in point: in my home country (and probably a few other European ones), PM and health ministers are under criminal investigation for not taking measures in January/Februrary.

Not to say that the healthcare system could ignore you altogether.
r2d2 likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 9:38 pm

As there are indications that the first COVID vaccines do not provide sterilizing immunity
Are there? Would you care to post some pointers to those indications? Thanks!
Old Dec 9, 2020, 11:19 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
Are there? Would you care to post some pointers to those indications? Thanks!
Here: https://www.is.fi/taloussanomat/art-2000007657738.html (sorry, it's in Finnish)
cockpitvisit likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 11:52 am

Thanks. Sadly, that article does not point to any specific research proving that existing vaccines produce no sterilizing immunity, it just mentions it in one sentence (if the google translator got it right).

It seems no one researched whether new Covid-19 vaccines produce sterilizing immunity, so there are no "indications" at all - it is simply not known. Same for the proposed Finnish vaccine the article talks about - by their own admission, they lack money for a proper phase 3 study, so their claims of sterilizing immunity look a little dubious.
r2d2 likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 12:14 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Interesting point - we don't know if (or which) vaccines prevent spreading the virus. We also don't know how immunity (sterilizing or not) will last. That's something scientists will have to figure out at some point next year, when it comes the time to worry how often to redo the vaccination, if at all.

But in the short term, so what? Should it affect someone's will to be vaccinated? I guess if you know you have caught the virus, then it's questionable whether vaccination makes any sense. but otherwise I'd be concerned about side effects, not sterilising immunity or lack thereof.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 5:36 am

Programs: AY Platinum/OWE
I don’t believe there is a feasible way to prove what kind of immunity is given by a vaccine this early. After all, there is no reliable way to show infectiveness at the moment (PCR positive does not mean someone is infective), nor is there any way to prove immunity (negative antibodies does not show that someone is not immune).

Most things we know about vaccines is learnt after the fact. For instance, the the number of times a vaccination has to be renewed in order to keep immunity has in many cases been learnt retrospectively.

On the other hand, virus replication causes tissue damage, which causes symptoms. If a vaccine protects from the disease, it is rather unlikely that these people would just keep having the same level of virus replication without magically developing any symptoms (even the vaccine-mediated immune response would also result in tissue damage and symptoms if the disease was severe enough). So it is likely that infectiveness is at least to some extent decreased by the vaccine, although the extent of this decrease remains unknown. Still, it annoys me greatly that the newspapers managed to turn this into “vaccinated people will enjoy life without getting a disease but will endanger everyone else by spreading it”.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 8:48 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by DrSickle
(negative antibodies does not show that someone is not immune)
Could you elaborate on this? I took an antibody test this week and was hoping for a positive result, but it came out negative. As much as I have been travelling, and to several major covid hotspots, too, I was expecting that if anyone, I would have had a very mild version of covid19 at some point and that this would show up as a positive result in the antibody test.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 11:16 am

Programs: AY Platinum/OWE
Originally Posted by ffay005
Could you elaborate on this?
Antibody levels do not stay elevated forever, even if the immunological memory still exists. Thus, it is natural for antibodies to decrease after some time after an infection. How this works is pathogen-dependent, different pathogens trigger the immune system differently.

Hepatitis B virus is an example of this. When vaccinating against HBV, some (less than 5%) people fail to develop immunity. If one wants to verify immunity, The HBV s-antigen antibodies must be measured at 6-8 weeks from the final dose, at which time the antibody levels should exceed a certain threshold in order for the immunization to be considered successful. If this is not done, the way to
show a successful immunisation involves taking the entire vaccination series again.

How does this work with our current SARS-CoV-2 virus? I don’t believe we fully know yet. And that is my main point - we know rather little about how immunity works with this virus.

Also apologies for going somewhat off topic here, just thought this subject important for aviation in general at the moment, which I believe justifies the discussion (for a few posts at least).
ffay005 and SPBanker like this.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 2:39 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by DrSickle
Also apologies for going somewhat off topic here, just thought this subject important for aviation in general at the moment, which I believe justifies the discussion (for a few posts at least).
As far as I am concerned, this is not off-topic at all. Thanks for sharing this level-headed analysis.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY+ Lumo, HH Diamond
According to this, should be okay a year from now.

Old Dec 27, 2020, 8:14 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Not sure I follow your reasonning. The map seems to indicate that there is nowhere in the world that will be a "near-zero-spread" zone until 2022?
Old Dec 27, 2020, 8:52 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by intuition
Not sure I follow your reasonning. The map seems to indicate that there is nowhere in the world that will be a "near-zero-spread" zone until 2022?
Yep, dates seem to quite late... With several vaccines approved both in the US and EU very soon, I’d say Europe and North America will be more than 70% vaccinated before the autumn 2021. Same goes for Japan, China, most of ASEAN countries...
Old Dec 27, 2020, 10:30 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
You are dreaming. Based on current order and stocks, France for example, estimates that 15 million people will be vaccinated by end of summer. That is less than 25% of the population.
https://www.franceinter.fr/coup-d-en...long-processus

There are serious production issues to vaccinate this much in such a short time. I think that in autumn 2021 we should be happy if we reach 40%.
Ed Size likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 11:05 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by SPBanker
Yep, dates seem to quite late... With several vaccines approved both in the US and EU very soon, I’d say Europe and North America will be more than 70% vaccinated before the autumn 2021. Same goes for Japan, China, most of ASEAN countries...
In Germany we are hoping that we got 5 million people vaccinated by end of March. Just the first priority group, the people older than 80 years old and people working in the medical business are more than 8 million, even the people older than 65 are close to 20 million. If Germany gets more than 30 million people vaccinated by autmúm 21 this only will work if normal doctors can give you the treatment. If it stays so special any number higher than 20 million by Oct. 21 will be a great success.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Ed Size
In Germany we are hoping that we got 5 million people vaccinated by end of March. Just the first priority group, the people older than 80 years old and people working in the medical business are more than 8 million, even the people older than 65 are close to 20 million. If Germany gets more than 30 million people vaccinated by autmúm 21 this only will work if normal doctors can give you the treatment. If it stays so special any number higher than 20 million by Oct. 21 will be a great success.
One needs AstraZeneca and other similar vaccines for really large numbers, i.e. vaccines that don’t require -70C for storage etc.
Ed Size likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.