Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Good news, is this the beginning of the end for Covid19?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2021, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Courmisch
How to get a SARS-COV-2 (COVID-19) RT-PCR test certificate for travel from Finland?

This wiki post details the means to obtain a PCR-test test certificate in Finland for travel. It is possible to completely avoid the cartel prices of over 200€ (Terveystalo, 9Lives, etc.) by getting a certified from the public sector.

Where to get the test?

Print-at-home test result certificates are available for public sector tests taken in the following regions:
  • Uusimaa,
  • Kymi valley,
  • Northern Ostrobothnia,
  • South Karelia.
The PDF certificate for the last test taken can be downloaded from KoronaTietoni ( https://www.koronatietoni.fi/ ) within an hour after the test results are notified by SMS. You will need Finnish bank or mobile authentication codes to proceed.

It is expected that, in the second phase of deployment of the EU green pass in Finland, test results will be available from Kanta.fi regardless of locality. At the moment, Kanta.fi can only provide Finnish national vaccination certificates. In the first phase of deployment, (only) the vaccination certificates will be converted to EU format.

How to apply for the test?

There are several ways to apply for and take a suitable test:
  • If you have Covid-19 symptoms (based on self-diagnostic), you can get a test via Omaolo: https://www.omaolo.fi/
  • If you are returning to (or entering) Finland less than 14 days before the intended test date, you can apply from FinEntry: https://www.finentry.fi/
  • Visit the appointment-free test bus in poorer Helsinki districts. The schedule is available here:
    https://www.hel.fi/helsinki/coronavirus-en/social-and-health/coronavirus-test/
Print Wikipost

Good news, is this the beginning of the end for Covid19?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2020, 7:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
It should perhaps be pointed out that 90% efficacy (which is what the studies have so far shown) does not mean 90% effectiveness (ie protection in 90 out of 100 people). Those are very different numbers.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 1:01 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by Courmisch
There are plenty of elderly who don't live in pensioner houses. You can't simply "go where the elderly live", for they live all over the place.

2/3 of all people dying from/with COVID 19 in Germany are living in homes for the elderly or they are in hospitals because of different health problems.. That's at least in Germany the case. And yes if you can shout countries down like we did it, you can go to every single person who is in danger.

I doubt that people who are 80years and older will start running to those centers and wait till they get their treatment.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by LondonElite
It should perhaps be pointed out that 90% efficacy (which is what the studies have so far shown) does not mean 90% effectiveness (ie protection in 90 out of 100 people). Those are very different numbers.
Could you elaborate in layman(ish) terms? I think I already grasp what "90%" means in tests (maybe), how is it in the case of vaccines?
Old Nov 30, 2020, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Could you elaborate in layman(ish) terms? I think I already grasp what "90%" means in tests (maybe), how is it in the case of vaccines?
The best layman's explanation I have been able to find is an article in the NY Times from which I will take some quotes:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/20/h...effective.html

From the headlines, you might well assume that these vaccines — which some people may receive in a matter of weeks — will protect 95 out of 100 people who get them. But that’s not actually what the trials have shown. Exactly how the vaccines perform out in the real world will depend on a lot of factors we just don’t have answers to yet — such as whether vaccinated people can get asymptomatic infections and how many people will get vaccinated.

<snip>

The fundamental logic behind today’s vaccine trials was worked out by statisticians over a century ago. Researchers vaccinate some people and give a placebo to others. They then wait for participants to get sick and look at how many of the illnesses came from each group.

In the case of Pfizer, for example, the company recruited 43,661 volunteers and waited for 170 people to come down with symptoms of Covid-19 and then get a positive test. Out of these 170, 162 had received a placebo shot, and just eight had received the real vaccine.

From these numbers, Pfizer’s researchers calculated the fraction of volunteers in each group who got sick. Both fractions were small, but the fraction of unvaccinated volunteers who got sick was much bigger than the fraction of vaccinated ones. The scientists then determined the relative difference between those two fractions. Scientists express that difference with a value they call efficacy. If there’s no difference between the vaccine and placebo groups, the efficacy is zero. If none of the sick people had been vaccinated, the efficacy is 100 percent.

<snip>

Efficacy and effectiveness are related to each other, but they’re not the same thing. And vaccine experts say it’s crucial not to mix them up. Efficacy is just a measurement made during a clinical trial. “Effectiveness is how well the vaccine works out in the real world,” said Naor Bar-Zeev, an epidemiologist at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.

It’s possible that the effectiveness of coronavirus vaccines will match their impressive efficacy in clinical trials. But if previous vaccines are any guide, effectiveness may prove somewhat lower.
r2d2, ffay005, Ed Size and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 4:08 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by LondonElite
The best layman's explanation I have been able to find is an article in the NY Times from which I will take some quotes:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/20/h...effective.html
Uh-oh, maybe that is fine explained for laymans like Wilco but it takes a couple of hours for me as a saladman to digest that explanation.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 4:23 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I understand that this is the more humane way to do it, instead of trying to actively transmit the virus to the people who got the real vaccine. But as the number of infected people is really low, isn't there quite a lot of room for error here? Taking into account that the PCR tests used to detect the virus are very unreliable as well. Could be many more infected, but they just got a negative test result and have no symptoms (but could still transmit the decease).
Ed Size likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 8:56 am

What went wrong?

I'm getting more and more upset with this corona "crisis". Good thing vaccine is coming some day. But what I can't understand is why Western medical authorities isn't testning and using the already available drug that is showing positive data in every trial. That is beyond my understanding why on earth we are not testning and using a safe, cheap and available drug. The drug I'm talking about is Ivermectin. (I have mentioned it here before)
+30 studies of different kinds with results are available. All showing different degrees of positive effects. Something has gone fundamentally wrong in the medical field. This isn't some tin foil/snake oil drug, it is a Nobel prize winner.(2015)
And for fellow flyers. The prophylactic effect in 3-4 different trials has shown 75-100% protection from infection, something that is good to know IF you need to visit heavy infected areas.

End of touting/rant
Old Dec 5, 2020, 9:37 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
In real life:

Conclusions Our study reported no beneficial effects of hydroxychloroquine, ivermectin, azithromycin. The HCQ+AZIT treatment seems to increase risk for all-cause death.
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....06.20208066v3

Ivermectin has recently shown efficacy against SARS-CoV-2 in-vitro. We retrospectively reviewed severe COVID-19 patients receiving standard doses of ivermectin and we compared clinical and microbiological outcomes with a similar group of patients not receiving ivermectin. No differences were found between groups. We recommend the evaluation of high-doses of ivermectin in randomized trials against SARS-CoV-2.
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...l.pone.0242184

Ivermectin and COVID-19: How a Flawed Database Shaped the Pandemic Response of Several Latin-American Countries
https://www.isglobal.org/en/healthis...ries/2877257/0
Old Dec 5, 2020, 9:52 am

Why are you referring to garbage?
1st one flawed study from Peru. Proven to be bs.
2nd 22nd July? Never seen. And 13 severe patients.
3rd some old article of The "nowadays silent sceptic" Chaccour.

Look at available real life data now available.
Want links?
​​​​​​

Last edited by seldomrfly; Dec 5, 2020 at 10:03 am
Old Dec 5, 2020, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by fransknorge
In real life:
https://www.researchsquare.com/article/rs-100956/v1

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....29.20222661v1

https://www.researchsquare.com/article/rs-109670/v1

Some fairly new ones.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 9:59 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Well, when medical industry went from ethical to greedy, it all began, and gets only worse till the end of the world. Where we are in the logarithm curve remains the only (useless) debate.
Take a vaccine or dont take, choose a medi-bubble life or a all-natural life, you are busted anyhow.
I am sick and tired tol already and it counts.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 10:48 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by seldomrfly
I can't understand (...) why Western medical authorities isn't testning and using the already available drug that is showing positive data in every trial. That is beyond my understanding why on earth we are not testning and using a safe, cheap and available drug. The drug I'm talking about is Ivermectin. (I have mentioned it here before)
The problems were all along the health care system capacity and lethality for the very elderly and a few other high-risk groups. That was already known around CNY, when the virus was still mostly a Chinese affair. I don't know if Ivermectin is an effective treatment or not, but I can guess that a treatment only does so much in terms of de-saturating hospitals and saving lives. Even if it (say) halves the average duration of hospitalisation and the chances of death, then what? You will get double the number of patients after two weeks if you don't take measures to reduce the spread.

The hope is that an efficient and effective vaccine would actually address those issues much better than any treatment. Also from a legal standpoint, most European governments are actually responsible for keeping the people's health. But if the government provides a vaccine for the people, then it's done its part. Many people will refuse to take it, and some of them will die (and even a few who did take the vaccine), but the government will not be liable any longer.

And to answer your specific question, the fact that people are publishing on that exact topic sounds like there are,or have been, tests, and Ivermectin is evidently controversial at best. The people in government are not superscient. If a majority of experts say Ivermectin does not work, then that's that.
r2d2 and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 11:03 am

If a majority of experts say Ivermectin does not work, then that's that.
Well, the problem IMO is that no expert at all is saying anything.
As Dr. Paul Mariks said yesterday on his press conference; Please review the data, please. If you reject it fine, but stop ignoring it.

As you say, the vaccine is the solution. But until that, use whats available.
Old Dec 6, 2020, 12:02 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
Also from a legal standpoint, most European governments are actually responsible for keeping the people's health. But if the government provides a vaccine for the people, then it's done its part. Many people will refuse to take it, and some of them will die (and even a few who did take the vaccine), but the government will not be liable any longer.
At least in Finland you are entitled to public healthcare even if you have created the need for care yourself (e.g. cigarette smoking, long-time heavy alcohol use, suicidal behavior, leisure travel to an area with an infectious disease without taking preventive medication/vaccination, or whatever reason). As there are indications that the first COVID vaccines do not provide sterilizing immunity, i.e. they prevent the symptoms but you can still get infected and spread the disease, the world couldn't return to normal if only half of the population is willing to take the vaccine. I guess that's why the Finnish press is now starting to advocate the need for taking it.
Old Dec 6, 2020, 12:24 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by seldomrfly
As you say, the vaccine is the solution. But until that, use whats available.
Question is, the solution for what? Going back to normal life? Maybe since this is the way the politicians want to go. Saving the life of the people? It depends how many deaths you think are tolerable. There are many diseases incl. measles (where there is a vaccine for around since 1963) and influenza of course, which course still a couple of 100.000 deaths. From measles died about 2,6 million people a year before the vaccine, but in 2019 still 207000 died of this disease - that was 56 years after the first vaccine was available.

If this is tolerable - fine, but then the arguments about the measurements to protect all of us from COVID 19 are a little wrong. At least in Germany, here is the keypoint to justify everything "We must fight for every single life".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.