FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Finnair | Finnair Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus-636/)
-   -   Good news, is this the beginning of the end for Covid19? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus/2028256-good-news-beginning-end-covid19.html)

zxcv1 Nov 9, 2020 5:55 am

Good news, is this the beginning of the end for Covid19?

Today Pfizer released promising news. Finnair share +35%.

Is this finally the beginning of the end? For sure the recent point purchase promotion just got much more interesting.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...f4e8642332.png
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...aaa2c1d40a.png

Ed Size Nov 9, 2020 6:05 am

Simple answer -No. Pfizer says they can produce 1.5 billion shots of vaccine in the next 12 month, so it will goes a little on till the majority of the population will be immune. Maybe we are on track to normal, but it will take a while.

denkigroove Nov 9, 2020 6:54 am

Biontech showed today the sucessful results of her Phase III for her vaccine.

OH-LGG Nov 9, 2020 6:58 am

Originally Posted by zxcv1 (Post 32806811)
Today Pfizer released promising news. Finnair share +35%.

Is this finally the beginning of the end? For sure the recent point purchase promotion just got much more interesting.

Why purchasing points is now more interesting?

seldomrfly Nov 9, 2020 7:18 am

I think it is the beginning of the end. Pfizer is saying 1.5billions in 12 months. I guess it is estimated on Pfizers production capacity. There is more production capacity in the world IF this one is so good they claim it to be.

While we are waiting there is always Ivermectin already available. Seems to be very effective as prophylactic, at least according to available studies. I have tried it when visiting "dangerous" places. No adverse effects or 'rona for me. OTOH I can't even say how much or if I've been exposed for the virus.

Disclaimer: I'm not recommending anything. Always consult your doctor.

DrSickle Nov 9, 2020 8:10 am

The high efficiency of the vaccine is certainly good news, as it makes me hopeful that having gotten the vaccine in itself may make one exempt from quarantine procedures (as with yellow fever).

This would mean that things can start to return to notmal faster, as a herd immunity would not be required before travel could start opening up.

FFlash Nov 9, 2020 9:41 am

I will wait min 1 year after first approved vaccine has been taken by folks.
safe regards, mr. narcolepsia

intuition Nov 9, 2020 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by FFlash (Post 32807343)
I will wait min 1 year after first approved vaccine has been taken by folks.
safe regards, mr. narcolepsia

While a terrible condition, wouldn't it be quite nice on boring MRs to just doze off?
Just put your ticket, passport and AY+ card in a wallet around your neck, label it "Unaccompanied Adult" with instructions "If I am sleeping, just leave me in the seat as I am already checked in for the same-plan return flight"

mosfet Nov 9, 2020 1:03 pm

Mr Wendover Productions has a great video (linked below) on the logistical challenge of a vaccine.

Premature to say this is the beginning of the end for COIVD-19 but certainly this is good news!!

TBD Nov 9, 2020 5:38 pm

Don't forget that other companies are testing promising vaccines, too. Pfizer may have 1.2b by next year, but AZ and J&J may have vaccines in production, too. J&J's current trial only requires one shot.
Regardless of how you look at this, it's nice to finally get some concrete and positive news.

kauppias Nov 9, 2020 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by Bdsm (Post 32808426)
Finnair share will be down as soon as... tomorrow?

<br />

of course :)

well rather likely these will be turbulent times in travel stocks

WilcoRoger Nov 9, 2020 11:59 pm

On this news alone I wouldn't invest serious money in travel related stocks. Of course as the saying goes "when the going gets tough, the tough go shopping" :)

Ed Size Nov 10, 2020 2:38 am

Originally Posted by TBD (Post 32808639)
Don't forget that other companies are testing promising vaccines, too. Pfizer may have 1.2b by next year, but AZ and J&J may have vaccines in production, too. J&J's current trial only requires one shot.
Regardless of how you look at this, it's nice to finally get some concrete and positive news.

It is not only about the pure amount of vaccine shoots, it also needs the man power and the infrastructure to treat billions of people. Alone in Germany they say they want to treat close to 52 million people, all of then needs two shoots. And in 2021 max. 60 places in the whole country will be allowed to treat people, just do the maths and you will find out it will take quite a time.

zxcv1 Nov 10, 2020 5:21 am

Originally Posted by OH-LGG (Post 32806940)
Why purchasing points is now more interesting?

While the 75k tier points doesn't help if you're already platinum - they will not count towards Lumo as for that one specifically needs AY flights with no exceptions - it's still an attractive offer.

Finnair can ramp up frequencies at a relatively short notice should demand warrant it. To the horror of climate activists, polls are suggesting that people are gonna fly a lot after covid19. If the vaccination means the end for restrictions, I can realistically see Finnair unwrapping their parked planes. The lounges will reopen. All of these good things just became much more likely to happen in 2021, even perhaps in Q1/2021 already. The risk associated with valuation of points - and existence of Finnair, just became much reduced. In Bayesian terms, obtaining this new information changed the underlying odds for the recovery of aviation in our favour. The promotions thread is full of calculations of varying sophistication of how the points will help. If anything else, the 300k will go a long way making requalification to platinum easier in 2023. There will be many uses as the aviation activity and Finnair can now. be expected to recover, at least the prospects are much better. The markets agree - the Finnair share is up +65% and going through the moon as I'm typing this.