Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Good news, is this the beginning of the end for Covid19?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2021, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Courmisch
How to get a SARS-COV-2 (COVID-19) RT-PCR test certificate for travel from Finland?

This wiki post details the means to obtain a PCR-test test certificate in Finland for travel. It is possible to completely avoid the cartel prices of over 200€ (Terveystalo, 9Lives, etc.) by getting a certified from the public sector.

Where to get the test?

Print-at-home test result certificates are available for public sector tests taken in the following regions:
  • Uusimaa,
  • Kymi valley,
  • Northern Ostrobothnia,
  • South Karelia.
The PDF certificate for the last test taken can be downloaded from KoronaTietoni ( https://www.koronatietoni.fi/ ) within an hour after the test results are notified by SMS. You will need Finnish bank or mobile authentication codes to proceed.

It is expected that, in the second phase of deployment of the EU green pass in Finland, test results will be available from Kanta.fi regardless of locality. At the moment, Kanta.fi can only provide Finnish national vaccination certificates. In the first phase of deployment, (only) the vaccination certificates will be converted to EU format.

How to apply for the test?

There are several ways to apply for and take a suitable test:
  • If you have Covid-19 symptoms (based on self-diagnostic), you can get a test via Omaolo: https://www.omaolo.fi/
  • If you are returning to (or entering) Finland less than 14 days before the intended test date, you can apply from FinEntry: https://www.finentry.fi/
  • Visit the appointment-free test bus in poorer Helsinki districts. The schedule is available here:
    https://www.hel.fi/helsinki/coronavirus-en/social-and-health/coronavirus-test/
Print Wikipost

Good news, is this the beginning of the end for Covid19?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2021, 4:55 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
As far as EU wide solidarity is concerned, we’ve seen very little of that in the past year, what with all the border restrictions in place. And Finland has been the strictest member here!

Iltalehti had a pretty good editor comment that reflects my thoughts almost exactly. https://www.iltalehti.fi/politiikka/...c-dbcf58ca9798

It’s more the symbolism here than the actual action that I find is all wrong.

However, there’s one thing that does make me wonder. If 34.000 jabs is marginal, then how will this marginal figure help (eg) Croatia? Does the marginal figure become non-marginal when it crosses a national border?
Old Apr 7, 2021, 11:48 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Perhaps the marginal shipment is combined with other marginal shipments from other givers?
on22cz likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 2:26 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by intuition
In other news...
It seems EU and a number of member states have issued updated prognosis today. EU claims target (I assume the 70% level) will be reached much earlier that previously said. Now by end of june.
Mrs Von der Leyen already promised 70% of EU adults would have had the chance to be vaccinated by end of June, something like two months ago though. It's really nothing but estimations anyway. What if one of the supplier factory burns down, like happened in the (also under-supplied) chips business... But there is no denying that vaccine production is ramping up heavily in EU this month, so we just have to hope that logistics follow.

There's still the problem of want to be vaccinated, which is pretty low among younger age groups. By some models, we'd need 90% of the whole population vaccinated to stop the spread of the so-called British variant. In other words, even 100% of all adults wouldn't be enough.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 2:58 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by Courmisch
Mrs Von der Leyen already promised 70% of EU adults would have had the chance to be vaccinated by end of June, something like two months ago though. It's really nothing but estimations anyway. What if one of the supplier factory burns down, like happened in the (also under-supplied) chips business... But there is no denying that vaccine production is ramping up heavily in EU this month, so we just have to hope that logistics follow.

There's still the problem of want to be vaccinated, which is pretty low among younger age groups. By some models, we'd need 90% of the whole population vaccinated to stop the spread of the so-called British variant. In other words, even 100% of all adults wouldn't be enough.
It makes no sense to talk about the percentage in Europe if we are talking about a global pandemic, and 70% by end of June is quite optimistic, even for Europe. Look at the global numbers and you will realize that we either need to go another way or we have to wait a long time till it s back to normal. In China not 1% is vaccinated yet.

Globally at this point 1.9% of the population got full protection - so you can calculate yourself how long this will take.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 6:50 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by ffay005
As far as EU wide solidarity is concerned, we’ve seen very little of that in the past year, what with all the border restrictions in place. And Finland has been the strictest member here!

Iltalehti had a pretty good editor comment that reflects my thoughts almost exactly. https://www.iltalehti.fi/politiikka/...c-dbcf58ca9798

It’s more the symbolism here than the actual action that I find is all wrong.

However, there’s one thing that does make me wonder. If 34.000 jabs is marginal, then how will this marginal figure help (eg) Croatia? Does the marginal figure become non-marginal when it crosses a national border?
Exactly as intuition wrote it, on its own the 34K vaccines will not become non-marginal after leaving Finland (BTW, I guess it never actually comes to FI, but redirected to HR), but as FI was not the only country donating vaccines, it can add up to a number that can actually make a difference.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 6:54 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by Ed Size
It makes no sense to talk about the percentage in Europe if we are talking about a global pandemic, and 70% by end of June is quite optimistic, even for Europe. Look at the global numbers and you will realize that we either need to go another way or we have to wait a long time till it s back to normal. In China not 1% is vaccinated yet.

Globally at this point 1.9% of the population got full protection - so you can calculate yourself how long this will take.
And exactly these sorts of figures make me start to accept, that for the near future, travelling will mean intra EU, perhaps North-America, but the rest we can almost for sure forget for some time...
Old Apr 8, 2021, 8:11 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
And exactly these sorts of figures make me start to accept, that for the near future, travelling will mean intra EU, perhaps North-America, but the rest we can almost for sure forget for some time...
All of Africa is open already. There are a few exceptions, but most nations just require a flu certificate, nothing more. (Same is true for several Central & South American countries.)

My friends who have visited a few countries in Africa seem to have gotten the impression that they already live in a post-covid world down there. While the disease might not have disappeared, other issues are considered more pressing and more important, so most people have just decided to forget about the bat flu and move on.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 9:13 am

EU and rich countries in general are not going to wait for poorer countries to sort out vaccination. It would be politically, socially and economically unsustainable. Restrictions will be lifted gradually.

Well, yes. It took decades to eradicate smallpox, and it will take decades to eliminate Covid-19, if it ever happens. Also the plague and leprosy may evoke the Middle Ages in Europe, but they still exist in other parts of the world.

I stick to what Steve, myself and others have already stated: travel within EU will reopen earlier. Finnair Asia strategy is going to require some years to become a thing again.

My friends who have visited a few countries in Africa seem to have gotten the impression that they already live in a post-covid world down there. While the disease might not have disappeared, other issues are considered more pressing and more important, so most people have just decided to forget about the bat flu and move on.
There is still the problem of coming back from those countries without having to arrange a PCR test and/or getting quarantined. The first option is for vaccinated people to be exempted from the return restrictions, understanding that a small fraction of them will bring Covid-19 back with them. This is unfair until everybody has had a fair chance to be vaccinated though. Or then we have to get herd immunity in Europe.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Apr 8, 2021 at 9:48 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 8, 2021, 11:07 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
Originally Posted by Courmisch
Well, yes. It took decades to eradicate smallpox, and it will take decades to eliminate Covid-19, if it ever happens. Also the plague and leprosy may evoke the Middle Ages in Europe, but they still exist in other parts of the world.

I stick to what Steve, myself and others have already stated: travel within EU will reopen earlier. Finnair Asia strategy is going to require some years to become a thing again.
If you only talking about the holiday, Europe is a great place, but if it comes to work we all need to go places, and the people from outside need to come to Europe for reasons, so we need a strategy as we have with other diseases, and I guess a vaccine does a good job right now, but medical treatment is way more important to stop the fear of that pandemic.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
All of Africa is open already. There are a few exceptions, but most nations just require a flu certificate, nothing more. (Same is true for several Central & South American countries.)

I've read comments along the lines of "we have so many other problems, from ebola to armed conflict to failed crops and locusts, that covid is just one more among many >>shrug<<"
ffay005 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 11:14 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Looks like patience is still needed especially for leisure travel. Summary

May
Work-related travel within the EU will be permitted

June
EU internal border controls end

July/August
Work-related travel outside the EU opens up

No details on requirements regarding quarantine etc yet as far as I can see.

https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/s...month/11875690
Old Apr 9, 2021, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by florens
Looks like patience is still needed especially for leisure travel. Summary

May
Work-related travel within the EU will be permitted

June
EU internal border controls end
Work related travel has been permitted all the time.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 12:45 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
All this is if, if and if.

Pointless speculation.
ffay005 and DrSickle like this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 12:46 pm

If you only talking about the holiday, Europe is a great place, but if it comes to work we all need to go places, and the people from outside need to come to Europe for reasons, so we need a strategy as we have with other diseases, and I guess a vaccine does a good job right now, but medical treatment is way more important to stop the fear of that pandemic.
I don't know on what basis you draw that inference. But medical treatment has been the root cause of the problem all along, with hospital getting saturated. Nobody is going to bet on a cheap (unlike the monoclonal thingy), expeditive and effective treatment when there are seemingly working vaccines.

If a new strain comes out that not only resists the current vaccines but also attempts to make new ones, then that's a different story. But even I am not that pessimistic.

I guess a vaccination certificate will be required to enter (or return to) the Schengen area going forward, for quite some time.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by reflektia
Work related travel has been permitted all the time.
Not in recent months - only certain groups (truck drivers, emergency workers, etc) were allowed. Many Estonians coming to work (construction, etc) were turned back and even more didn't dare go home because they couldn't have returned.

The text is ambiguous - should state "inbound work travel", as outbound was/could never forbidden.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.