Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Good news, is this the beginning of the end for Covid19?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2021, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Courmisch
How to get a SARS-COV-2 (COVID-19) RT-PCR test certificate for travel from Finland?

This wiki post details the means to obtain a PCR-test test certificate in Finland for travel. It is possible to completely avoid the cartel prices of over 200€ (Terveystalo, 9Lives, etc.) by getting a certified from the public sector.

Where to get the test?

Print-at-home test result certificates are available for public sector tests taken in the following regions:
  • Uusimaa,
  • Kymi valley,
  • Northern Ostrobothnia,
  • South Karelia.
The PDF certificate for the last test taken can be downloaded from KoronaTietoni ( https://www.koronatietoni.fi/ ) within an hour after the test results are notified by SMS. You will need Finnish bank or mobile authentication codes to proceed.

It is expected that, in the second phase of deployment of the EU green pass in Finland, test results will be available from Kanta.fi regardless of locality. At the moment, Kanta.fi can only provide Finnish national vaccination certificates. In the first phase of deployment, (only) the vaccination certificates will be converted to EU format.

How to apply for the test?

There are several ways to apply for and take a suitable test:
  • If you have Covid-19 symptoms (based on self-diagnostic), you can get a test via Omaolo: https://www.omaolo.fi/
  • If you are returning to (or entering) Finland less than 14 days before the intended test date, you can apply from FinEntry: https://www.finentry.fi/
  • Visit the appointment-free test bus in poorer Helsinki districts. The schedule is available here:
    https://www.hel.fi/helsinki/coronavirus-en/social-and-health/coronavirus-test/
Print Wikipost

Good news, is this the beginning of the end for Covid19?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2021, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by cistavoda
The same as for those paper workers. Nothing. But this being ideological she is choosing to show no compassion for aviation industry workers.
This is getting so OMNI/PR that maybe we should switch there?
It would sink to oblivion very quickly under all the US-related topics over there.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 2:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
For a start by saying "we are sorry for those thousands of people who lost their jobs." I know compassion is not in Sanna's or any of her ministers' vocabulary but surely some of those bright young things around her could google the word?
Of course the government has talked about what a shame it is that people have lost their jobs in general. I'm not sure why you think performative things like visits to closing down factories are something we want in our political sphere, and btw these visits only happen because politicians politicized the factory closures in a way that airport job losses were not politicized (because one is a perceived failure of government policy while the other is because of a global pandemic). Everyone is sad that people have lost their jobs, politicians' words won't make them come back.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 3:06 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
For a red-green government, it's probably not a loss, but a victory, that flights are struggling and airports are empty. So this is something our government has excelled at. HEL is a ghost town while IST is business as usual and even AGP feels like an airport even if it isn't superbusy.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY+ Lumo, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mpkz
And what exactly could Sanna have done for Finnair or Vantaa? Finnish government policy did not stop people flying, a global pandemic did. The government participated in Finnair's equity and hybrid bond issues and paid the furlough costs for pilots and everyone else that was laid off. If the government had not instituted border closures or testing we'd have much less money available for Finnair since our service sector would be more screwed than it already is.
Take part in the discussion with Mr. Manner (who himself should be much more active) instead of avoiding it.

As PM she should actively discuss with and engage industry leaders, keep the communication open and going both ways, and offer solutions. She has an army of civil servants at her disposal. Together things can be achieved, but Sanna does not do dialogue. She does not answer questions, but she's great at doing lip service.

Of course, putting yourself out there is tough. Finding solutions is tough. That's why leaders at the levels of PMs and CEOs of legacy airlines should be competent with substance, have life experience, and been awarded their positions through actual merit and ability. Sadly this is not how it goes. Good things never come easy, but solutions that no individual can even imagine right now usually start to appear when people work together with good intentions. It's easy to be passive, hide away in Alaska safety videos or parliamentary ivory towers, but that kind of weakness should be punished by voters and the executive boards. Mr. Manner has Finnair shares worth of millions, he'll be safe no matter what happens. It's the actual people who run the operations that also must risk their livelihoods. In this respect, I cannot but give both Sanna & co. and Mr. Manner a hard F grade.

Speaking of, Tytti Yli-Viikari is a good example of what is wrong with the system. She was promoted and protected unfairly by Pöysti with no substance; her first (and only real) degree is in aesthetics and she did not correctly describe her education history, now here we are this is the result, the reputation of Finland as a transparent non-corrupt leader in tatters. I hope she not only gets fired, but also has to answer in court, after which she'd be unemployable for life. Why cannot deserving people ever get good jobs? Why do incompetent fools have so much power and chances of getting the good jobs in this society?
cistavoda likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 1:02 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by zxcv1
T

Speaking of, Tytti Yli-Viikari is a good example of what is wrong with the system. She was promoted and protected unfairly by Pöysti with no substance; her first (and only real) degree is in aesthetics and she did not correctly describe her education history, now here we are this is the result, the reputation of Finland as a transparent non-corrupt leader in tatters. I hope she not only gets fired, but also has to answer in court, after which she'd be unemployable for life. Why cannot deserving people ever get good jobs? Why do incompetent fools have so much power and chances of getting the good jobs in this society?
Don’t worry. I’ve been in international business seeing many incompetent fool Leaders to speak to, whom being just elected because they were cousins to a rich, taxi-driving the only competence etc.

Our system error is pretty small comparably , yet appalling.

this Tyttigirl had some good balls anyway to protect herself in the A-talk I watched. She will survive any fire. Wouldn’t want to be her mom
ffay005 likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Of course the government has talked about what a shame it is that people have lost their jobs in general. I'm not sure why you think performative things like visits to closing down factories are something we want in our political sphere, and btw these visits only happen because politicians politicized the factory closures in a way that airport job losses were not politicized (because one is a perceived failure of government policy while the other is because of a global pandemic). Everyone is sad that people have lost their jobs, politicians' words won't make them come back.
I don't disagree with you - I just pointed out the discrepancy/hypocrisy, that 300 back-of-beyond lost jobs are more of a loss than 4000+ lost jobs in Vantaa. It's not a question of which industry the loss is - it's a slap in the face for the citizens of Vantaa (the fourth largest in the country)

PS - the funny thing is that the job losses in Vantaa are the actually gov't policy failures, while the paper mill closure is not.

Speaking of, Tytti Yli-Viikari is a good example of what is wrong with the system. She was promoted and protected unfairly by Pöysti with no substance; her first (and only real) degree is in aesthetics and she did not correctly describe her education history, now here we are this is the result, the reputation of Finland as a transparent non-corrupt leader in tatters.?
According to a side sentence in HS*, she also graduated from ENA (École nationale d'administration) which would be a serious achievement if correct.

*while discussing Macron's plans to close ENA

As PM she should actively discuss with and engage industry leaders, keep the communication open and going both ways, and offer solutions. She has an army of civil servants at her disposal. Together things can be achieved, but Sanna does not do dialogue. She does not answer questions, but she's great at doing lip service.
She has a toddler at home and she thinks the whole country (and the administration) is a toddler. "Do as I say, or else!" Constitution and laws be damned

The big issue with her is that after the putsch that ousted Rinne (no big loss there), she came in as a "Capitano in bel tempo" - unfortunately the weather changed but the captain remained

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Apr 20, 2021 at 7:23 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 20, 2021, 4:49 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
She has a toddler at home and she thinks the whole country (and the administration) is a toddler. "Do as I say, or else!"
With that reference I'm starting to questioning your toddler experience. While I'm sure the general public sometimes is the toddler, I don't think any political leader comes even close.
Doesn't toddler administration work something like this:

- Please put your jammies on!
[Repeat for 15 minutes while being totally ignored, incrementally raising your voice to no effect]

And it usually goes on with
Phase 2
- I don't like those jammies!
- You can choose any jammies, just look in the box which one you like!
[Toddler chooses]
- No, I said jammies, not Jeans!
[Repeat selection process with all possible iterations of clothing [b]not being jammies]

Phase 3
[Toddler have found acceptable jammies and starts to put them on]
- No, no, you need to take off the regular clothes first!
[Toddler having a 10 minute fit]
- Why don't you EVER allow me to do things MY way?!?!
[Toddler manager gives up, allowing toddler to once again do things his/her way, ending up with multiple layer night clothes]

Phase 4
- I need toilet!
- OK, just go there before night story then!
- You need to help me. For some strange reason there are two layers of pants and I'm a baby and can't undress myself!
[Toddler manager has a 10 minute fit]

Phase 5
[Toddler finally in bed, "getting ready" for nightstory by jumping up and down ferociously. Toddler manager tries different management techniques]
- Which story do you like today? I'll read you any book if you just settle down!
[... to no effect]

- Do as I say or else!
[... to absolutely no effect]

- I am getting angry with you now, please settle down before we end up in a big fight!
[... resulting in laughter plus even higher jumps with somersults]

[Toddler manager iterates through all conceivable threats, including leaving and never come back. Jumping continues but with increasingly worried toddler face]

[Finally, upon manager actually getting up and leaving through the front door, toddler settles down. Jumping is replaced with hysterical crying]

[15 minutes of soothing]

Calm starts to settle. Lights are turned off. 'Finally', thinks toddler manager to himself... until
- I am hungry!
[Toddler manager passes out from exhaustion / rage-attack / near heart-attack.]
temppa and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 9:15 am
Suspended

Take part in the discussion with Mr. Manner (who himself should be much more active) instead of avoiding it.

There was an article in HS about this. The PM started taking meetings with industry leaders + confederations in fall 2020 after initially not doing so. Finnair was one of the direct meetings taken (which btw paper companies did not get).
Old Apr 20, 2021, 9:42 am
Suspended

I don't disagree with you - I just pointed out the discrepancy/hypocrisy, that 300 back-of-beyond lost jobs are more of a loss than 4000+ lost jobs in Vantaa. It's not a question of which industry the loss is - it's a slap in the face for the citizens of Vantaa (the fourth largest in the country)

PS - the funny thing is that the job losses in Vantaa are the actually gov't policy failures, while the paper mill closure is not.
Partly it's also that Vantaa job losses are not expected to be permanent, paper factory job losses are. But Vantaa losses are absolutely not government failures - the government can't do anything about a pandemic, they can do a lot more about the cost structure of Finnish factory work.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 4:51 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Partly it's also that Vantaa job losses are not expected to be permanent, paper factory job losses are. But Vantaa losses are absolutely not government failures - the government can't do anything about a pandemic, they can do a lot more about the cost structure of Finnish factory work.
I don't want to get into this discussion too much, but there is no cost structure at which most European (and North American) paper mills will survive the next 5-10 years. Nothing the government, labor unions etc. do (or don't) will change that.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY+ Lumo, HH Diamond
Big losses for the airline industry still in 2021. I must admit I for one have always thought that by 2022 covid-19 would be over due to the vaccinations, but I'm getting less sure of that.

Global carriers could face nearly $48 billion in losses this year as the troubled sector is struggling to rebound from the coronavirus pandemic, the International Air Transport Association (IATA) has said.

The new figures, presented by the global airlines body on Wednesday, are around 25% worse than it had previously expected. It had earlier forecast a $38 billion deficit. The airline industry’s losses are expected to amount to around a third of what the troubled sector saw in 2020, when it lost more than $126.4 billion as the spread of the coronavirus forced governments to shut borders.
https://www.rt.com/business/521711-a...ses-2021-iata/

Any financially sensible household has an emergency fund (and sometimes insurances) against loss of employment, sickness, and disruption to their cashflows. I've never understood why this principle doesn't seem to apply to institutions, and in this sense airlines with beginner finances should get as much sympathy as a person who spends lavishly, even on margin, and then loses their job as opposed to the person who took care of their finances while they had an income. Finnair's bottom line was very healthy in 2020, which allows them to survive until 2022 with zero or minimal operations, but the same cannot be said of many others. That's why Finnair deserves our sympathy in my opinion.

Looks like Buffet had a good guess about the future earlier when he sold his airline positions.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 1:31 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, SK Gold, BT VIP, Radisson Premium, Accor Platinum

This is good news: Finnair now also accepts certificate of the 1st vaccination as an alternative to the PCR test

WE REQUIRE A CORONAVIRUS TESTING OR VACCINATION CERTIFICATE ON FINNAIR FLIGHTS

In line with the recommendation by Finnish health authorities, we require either a certificate of a negative coronavirus test or a doctor’s certificate stating that you have had the coronavirus, within the past 6 months, but you are now symptomless and fit to travel. As of 11 May 2021, as the vaccination coverage is increasing rapidly in many countries, we will also accept a coronavirus vaccination certificate along as an alternative to the previously mentioned certificates. The requirement applies to all travellers, including citizens of Finland, on international Finnair flights to Finland. The requirement complements our other comprehensive measures for safe travel during the pandemic.
esledo, FFlash, Steve_Hun and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 1:37 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Where to get these certificates?
Old Apr 23, 2021, 1:48 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, SK Gold, BT VIP, Radisson Premium, Accor Platinum
Apparently these will be availabe in Omakanta.

COVID-19 vaccination certificate - Infectious diseases and vaccinations - THL
Old Apr 23, 2021, 1:56 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by aapee
Apparently these will be availabe in Omakanta.
Yeah, sure. When? 2030

When public sector says "will be", it means years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.