Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2017, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Lai Gordon
Does anyone know if it is possible to transfer credit card points to Finnair plus?
Like AMEX points or Citi Thankyou awards?

Thanks
Only from a Finnish AMEX card it's possible to do a transfer.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by Lai Gordon
Does anyone know if it is possible to transfer credit card points to Finnair plus?
Like AMEX points or Citi Thankyou awards?

Thanks
Finnair Plus points transfer is available through local AMEX Membership Rewards. A brief Google would suggest transfer is possible from cards issued in Finland, Sweden, Hong Kong, India, Italy, Germany, UK etc.

Additionally, you can earn points by staying at hotel partners' properties, however hotel points maximisers such as Kaligo, Rocketmiles and Pointshound would yield more. I am not aware of any hotel partner that would allow transferring in (namely, spg is missing). This is usually an expensive shortcut to transfer credit card points to airline miles not available within that card's scope.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold
Originally Posted by Courmisch
So yes, now that you mention it, there are two corner cases: HEL<->SFO and HEL<->MIA yield better under AA code than semi-flex AY codes, but only if you have no Finnair Plus tier level. And then the difference is marginal. The same also apply to HEL-MAD, but I'm not sure if it is usable as a connector at all.

So I'll leave that out for the sake of simplicity. Thing is, it is very hard to get semi-flexible (K/P/M/T) booking classes anyhow, so the dilemna is unlikely.

Even more simpler rule: business and full flex in AY codes, the rest in AA codes.
This is really crazy if I'm looking at it correctly. For MIA-HEL-MIA booked on AY the calculator (booked in S class) gets be 8800 some points with Silver level status.

With AA I get just about double the amount at 16000 some odd points.

Is that really correct? Now the AA fare is $800 more so....
Old Sep 1, 2017, 4:53 pm

As a One World Sapphire (BA Silver), how does Finnair's Economy Comfort seating work? Do I have to pay for it the same way as non-status passengers do?
Old Sep 1, 2017, 11:05 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Frequent flyer 101
As a One World Sapphire (BA Silver), how does Finnair's Economy Comfort seating work? Do I have to pay for it the same way as non-status passengers do?
Yes. It was once free for Sapphires, but these days only for Emeralds.
Frequent flyer 101 likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Hello Finnair fundis...

My partner and I need to fly HEL-IVL-HEL in December. I was able to book HEL-IVL months ago at a reasonable rate. But the IVL-HEL flight I want has been showing only full-fare Y ever since I started monitoring it. So I have held back hoping some cheaper buckets would open up. Now I am wondering if some flights never sell cheaper fare classes. (I have had a fare alert active on Expertflyer and it has never produced anything.)

Should I just bite the bullet and pay EUR364 each (gulp!)? I guess if those tickets are fully refundable and any cheaper fares show up, I could always get a refund and re-book.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: AY Gold
If AY look bad the other choice is to book direct IVL-HEL on Norwegian, no daily service though.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:50 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat
Another newbie question: I recently made AY+ gold, well ahead of the end of the tracking period (March 2018), which means I'm good until March 2019.

Upgrade vouchers are a new thing for me, so a simple question: do I get another set of European upgrades (or a single long-haul upgrade) when I renew my gold status after March 2018?
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by HELboy
Upgrade vouchers are a new thing for me, so a simple question: do I get another set of European upgrades (or a single long-haul upgrade) when I renew my gold status after March 2018?
Yes you do. Congrats for gold!
HELboy likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by Andaman
If AY look bad the other choice is to book direct IVL-HEL on Norwegian, no daily service though.
Thanks for that. No Norwegian flight on my date unfortunately.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 8:12 am

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
Thanks for that. No Norwegian flight on my date unfortunately.
Skiing holiday season starts in December and some dates are very heavily booked, particularly towards the end of month.
I can see dates with the fare you quoted above (EUR 364 each) but AY has 2 or even 3 flights out of IVL on some dates.
Can you adjust your itinenary slightly in case there is availability on another day? Saving 150-200€ on ticket price can easily buy you a very comfortable hotel night in HEL if you can leave a day earlier, not an optimal solution, but still...
Old Sep 5, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: AY LUMO
D8 has excellent prices to IVL. AY in November was 450€ return and D8 I bought 25€ oneway.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 3:08 am

Programs: BA Gold
I'm a bit confused on the Business Campaign fare. For changes before/after departure, it says 'Not allowed/2000 HKD'. I need to change my flight to an earlier date, so I take it they won't let me, but if I was moving it to a later date, I could do it and pay 2000 HKD?
Old Sep 7, 2017, 6:14 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I assume it says "2000HKD/Not allowed"

This would mean changes are allowed until departure at fee 2000HKD and not allowed at all after.

You can try yourself, as these changes can be made from Manage My Booking. There should be change flights button, that takes you to a date search tool, with prices for every date possible.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by ff_flyer
Skiing holiday season starts in December and some dates are very heavily booked, particularly towards the end of month.
I can see dates with the fare you quoted above (EUR 364 each) but AY has 2 or even 3 flights out of IVL on some dates.
Can you adjust your itinenary slightly in case there is availability on another day? Saving 150-200€ on ticket price can easily buy you a very comfortable hotel night in HEL if you can leave a day earlier, not an optimal solution, but still...
I do realise it's skiing season - but that makes it even more baffling why a flight out of IVL on a Friday would be in such demand! (The demand isn't there yet - the seat map is wide open with only 14 seats taken - all upfront.)

Changing the date would have undesirable knock-on effects on the rest of my trip, so I really would rather not. (Besides my only option would be a later flight and I have nothing I particularly want to do in Ivalo during that time. )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.