Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Old Sep 7, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
I do realise it's skiing season - but that makes it even more baffling why a flight out of IVL on a Friday would be in such demand! (The demand isn't there yet - the seat map is wide open with only 14 seats taken - all upfront.)
The seat map doesn't reflect availability at all as seat selection is chargeable, most customers don't select seats until check-in.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I do realise it's skiing season - but that makes it even more baffling why a flight out of IVL on a Friday would be in such demand! (The demand isn't there yet - the seat map is wide open with only 14 seats taken - all upfront.)

Changing the date would have undesirable knock-on effects on the rest of my trip, so I really would rather not. (Besides my only option would be a later flight and I have nothing I particularly want to do in Ivalo during that time. )
I'm sure someone's willing to dig up load factors on ExpertFlyer or such. When I checked IVL weekend flights a few weeks ago for the first week of November they were priced around 118.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE)
Seatmap is no indication of the actual demand as mentioned above but can you reveal the date you are planning to travel IVL-HEL?
Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by intuition
I assume it says "2000HKD/Not allowed"

This would mean changes are allowed until departure at fee 2000HKD and not allowed at all after.

You can try yourself, as these changes can be made from Manage My Booking. There should be change flights button, that takes you to a date search tool, with prices for every date possible.
No, it says 'Not allowed/2000 HKD' and there is no Change Flights button, only Cancel.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 12:18 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Slightly odd, but that reads changes are not allowed before takeoff and after takeoff they are allowed at fee 2000HKD.

Usually it is the other way around. "Change flight" button should then appear after first flight is taken.
Again, this is an odd rule, but I did dummy book exHKG and indeed this is how the rule is set.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 12:29 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Come to think of it, I guess there is a logic. They want to be sure all tickets sold under this fare actually will fly (or noshow) on the date booked, but still allow passengers to extend or cut the trip short at will.

These rules are different in each market. Business campaign in other markets may have other change rules - for instance from Sweden to HKG it is (currently) changeable in both direction for a fee.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 2:41 am

There is a Business Campaign/promotional fare available from HKG and apparently this is what OP has purchased:

Fare class: I1PFHK52

Changes:
BEFORE DEPARTURE
CHANGES NOT PERMITTED
AFTER DEPARTURE
CHANGES PERMITTED.
NOTE -
CHARGE HKD 2000 FOR REISSUE/REVALIDATION
CANCELLATIONS
TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE.

A bit unusual but intelligible since the price is fairly good ex HKG in J.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 6:19 am

Award availability

Hi - Was looking to fly Finnair from JFK to Hel and then on to Moscow on Aug1 - I cant find any award space from JFK (was hoping for business) - Does Finnair hold back award seats or release seats at a specific time?? I arbitrarily looked at other dates and never once found any available flights - So is this an unrealistic hope or should I keep checking, maybe use expertflyer?

Thanks for your help!
Old Sep 9, 2017, 3:30 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by lkrt
The seat map doesn't reflect availability at all as seat selection is chargeable, most customers don't select seats until check-in.
Except... since the only available booking class has been Y, then everyone who has bought a ticket would have been entitled to a seat allocation for free and presumably availed themselves of the option?

Originally Posted by remymartin
I'm sure someone's willing to dig up load factors on ExpertFlyer or such. When I checked IVL weekend flights a few weeks ago for the first week of November they were priced around 118.
I have ExpertFlyer - but not sure how to find/deduce load factors? All I can see is Y4 B0 H0 G0 X0 E0 and the seat map.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 3:34 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat, Hilton Honors Gold
Except... since the only available booking class has been Y, then everyone who has bought a ticket would have been entitled to a seat allocation for free and presumably availed themselves of
For sure there have been other booking classes than Y available.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 3:57 am

For sure there have been other booking classes than Y available.
Not necessarily, if load factor is high the lower classes may be sold out or unavailable and only Y (Pro Fare) is then available and those are notoriously expensive.
Some flights from IVL are operated as three-leg flights ie. HEL-KTT-IVL-HEL and this may affect the total load factor of a single flight.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 3:57 am
Moderator, Finnair

Except... since the only available booking class has been Y, then everyone who has bought a ticket would have been entitled to a seat allocation for free and presumably availed themselves of the option?

I am not sure everyone does select seat even if it would be free. It is a detour from the normal flow in the booking process. Also, the design of seat selection in the style of ancillary revenue, so I think many customers are scared to enter that process.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 4:08 am

What I mean is that at some point there have been cheaper tickets available. They don't start the ticket sales with just Y tickets.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
What I mean is that at some point there have been cheaper tickets available. They don't start the ticket sales with just Y tickets.
Indeed. I even quoted prices from a few weeks ago. They were for 3-5th and 4-6th Nov.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: BA BD SA
I suppose so - though it surely is possible? It really has been Y only for quite a few months - which means about 8 months before the flight date. I find it hard to believe that lots of cheap seats get snapped up so far in advance for one single random flight and not others on the same or close-by dates.

Originally Posted by remymartin
Indeed. I even quoted prices from a few weeks ago. They were for 3-5th and 4-6th Nov.
Not sure what the relevance of that is? There are still many days with low fares including in the same week that I wish to travel. But the specific flight I have in mind has not budged in price.

Until now! Yesterday B class became available. And today H class as well. So the fare has dropped to a "mere" EUR309. Since it is cancellable I booked it. If they continue the pattern of releasing a lower fare bucket every day, eventually I may score a low fare.

Very interesting revenue management. The only other time I have seen anything like it was when South Africa hosted the World Cup and the airlines only released full fare seats up until a few months prior to the event - after that it returned to pretty much normal patterns though obviously with much higher loads on certain flights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.