Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
AY Y/B/H fares earn 150% to AY+, the ticket type, if it exists, is always PRO in that case.

Ticket type only matters for R, Z, O, Q, S, N, L and V fares, where 50% earnings are the default, but 100% earnings are possible with Value tickets. As Steve mentioned, ticket types are not available on J.V. flights.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
Yep, but likely it comes with a very steep price...
Y and B fares are always expensive. But in my experience, H fares not necessarily: for instance, you might get H fares due to multi-city itinerary, for not much more than normal discounted economy (depending on the areas).
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:25 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by Courmisch
... But in my experience, H fares not necessarily: for instance, you might get H fares due to multi-city itinerary, for not much more than normal discounted economy (depending on the areas).
Good to know this. Might start to look around for "multi-city" itineraries for my NA flights in the future... ^
Old Aug 31, 2017, 1:00 am

Finnair plus Mileage

Hello all. I am new to Finnair Plus.

How does it work with the mileage. Lets say I buy a ticket on Finnair.com for the route VIE LHR BOS and return in C.

Will I be awarded the Finnair mileage like 4000 plus 16000 Points each way?

Thank you for your help
Old Aug 31, 2017, 1:08 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
As Finnair does not fly that route (but uses its partners) the mileage earnings will depend on who is noted as marketing carrier / what airline code is on the flight-number.

The zone based earnings (the 4k and 16k you mention) are only valid when the ticket has finnair flight number *).

You can use this link to calculate points:
https://www.finnair.com/int/gb/finna...ual-calculator

-- Added
*) and actual flight is operated by Finnair or Norra

Last edited by intuition; Aug 31, 2017 at 2:06 am Reason: added info after the excellent addendum by deissi below
Old Aug 31, 2017, 1:35 am

Programs: AY+ Gold (OWS)
As far as I understand it, the zone based earnings are actually only valid on AY operated flights. LHR-BOS on an AY code would net approx. 10k points + tier bonus based on the calculator.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 2:08 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by deissi
As far as I understand it, the zone based earnings are actually only valid on AY operated flights. LHR-BOS on an AY code would net approx. 10k points + tier bonus based on the calculator.
Yes, you are right!
Old Aug 31, 2017, 2:27 am

Thank you all! Shame!
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:07 am

Zone based earnings are only for AY-marketed and AY-operated flights. Otherwise it is based on kilometerage, which is usually, but not always lower. Class factors are the same regardless. In C, 200% for AY-marketed and 125% for anything else.

(For instance, HEL-MAD, HEL-DXB or HEL-SIN have more kilometers than zoned points.)
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:11 am

For transatlantic route, the optimum is simple:
  • AY marketing codes for business (C, D, I, J), flexible economy (Y, B, H) and semi-flexible economy (K, M, P, T),
  • AA marketing codes for all else, i.e. lower classes

It does not much matter who operates the flight.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
For transatlantic route, the optimum is simple:
  • AY marketing codes for business (C, D, I, J), flexible economy (Y, B, H) and semi-flexible economy (K, M, P, T),
  • AA marketing codes for all else, i.e. lower classes

It does not much matter who operates the flight.
But I guess it goes a bit more detailed, than that? I.e. AY marketed vs AY marketed and operated will yield more on shorter distances, but AY marketed and AA/BA/IB operated will yield better kilometrage on west coast destinations, right?
Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by remymartin
But I guess it goes a bit more detailed, than that? I.e. AY marketed vs AY marketed and operated will yield more on shorter distances, but AY marketed and AA/BA/IB operated will yield better kilometrage on west coast destinations, right?
So yes, now that you mention it, there are two corner cases: HEL<->SFO and HEL<->MIA yield better under AA code than semi-flex AY codes, but only if you have no Finnair Plus tier level. And then the difference is marginal. The same also apply to HEL-MAD, but I'm not sure if it is usable as a connector at all.

So I'll leave that out for the sake of simplicity. Thing is, it is very hard to get semi-flexible (K/P/M/T) booking classes anyhow, so the dilemna is unlikely.

Even more simpler rule: business and full flex in AY codes, the rest in AA codes.

Last edited by Courmisch; Aug 31, 2017 at 1:02 pm
Old Aug 31, 2017, 1:03 pm

P.S.: The dreaded AA-to-AY earning enhancement is likely upon us if AA goes forward with their unbundled transatlantic fares.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
The same also apply to HEL-MAD, but I'm not sure if it is usable as a connector at all.
It is when going to South America and connecting from other TATL flights.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 4:44 am

Finnair plus points transfer

Does anyone know if it is possible to transfer credit card points to Finnair plus?
Like AMEX points or Citi Thankyou awards?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.