Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2017, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Aviating
You are allowed to bring your children less than 18y to the Finnair lounges as Platinum or Gold in addition to the one guest
The funny thing is Silvers got to bring their children but not their spouse into AY lounges back when they had access...
Old Jul 13, 2017, 1:35 am

Programs: AY Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
The funny thing is Silvers got to bring their children but not their spouse into AY lounges back when they had access...
lol... that wouldn't be of any use since who in the right mind will make use of that when travelling with both their spouse and children
Old Jul 13, 2017, 1:44 am

The family member's upgrade benefit for 50,000 points round trip(up to 3 family members when travelling in business class) for platinum seems interesting.

Is there a specific capacity allocated for upgrades or you can upgrade as long as there is a business class seat available?
Old Jul 13, 2017, 3:05 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by mechu
The family member's upgrade benefit for 50,000 points round trip(up to 3 family members when travelling in business class) for platinum seems interesting.

Is there a specific capacity allocated for upgrades or you can upgrade as long as there is a business class seat available?
It is one of the major perks.
There is specific capacity assigned for upgrades, called F class. There is a search engine to see how many seats are currently offered on future flights:
https://www.finnair.com/int/gb/finna...e-availability
Old Jul 13, 2017, 3:34 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by intuition
There is specific capacity assigned for upgrades, called F class. There is a search engine to see how many seats are currently offered on future flights:
But even when there is no upgrade availability shown, at least for Plats there is relatively high probability that one's waitlisted upgrade will clear, as long as there are free seats in biz.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 4:07 am

I'll be flying home from a World Championship Pistol shooting comp in September.... CDG-HEL-HKG-SYD... First two flights on AY.

Anyone have experience of flying on AY with firearms in checked baggage?

The website is quite good...there is an online form to fill in ..and a fee of Euro 25 to be paid.....just looking for any real life experiences and advice.

I'll be in J so even if the guncase is counted as an extra bag that won't be a problem...

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 13, 2017, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by intuition
WOW. That's a really nice and simple tool for checking availability.

Plenty of availability if booking a few months in advance. Flights out of SIN (where I am based) seem to have more limited availability (saw 2 seats only for most of the dates I checked) but availability out of BKK and HKG is much better
Old Jul 13, 2017, 8:48 am
Original Poster

WOW. That's a really nice and simple tool for checking availability.
While useful it is also frequently inaccurate as CS once told me so it's best to double check.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 8:49 am
Original Poster

lol... that wouldn't be of any use since who in the right mind will make use of that when travelling with both their spouse and children
Well they still bring their 12 children if they wanted to.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, TK Elite
I flew MEL-LHR on QF arriving on Sunday. The points from that flight will push me over the Plat threshold (Who would’ve thought this will ever happen).
I still have return leg to fly.
I also have LHR-HEL-TLL (and back) coming up this weekend.
QF points have been notoriously bad at posting previously.

Has anyone had luck contacting CS to get the points to post before the missing points form will open?
I’d really like to see the CX 1st lounge at LHR
Old Jul 18, 2017, 3:03 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat Basic
Originally Posted by juhanh
Has anyone had luck contacting CS to get the points to post before the missing points form will open?
Yes, however my n=1 case concerned AY flights on AY metal (that were taking way too long to post!). As gold, I mentioned my scheduling and the fact that it would be very nice if I could enjoy plat benefits on "my return flight in a few days" I think is the way I phrased it.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 1:35 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, TK Elite
This worked like a charm: 15 minutes and points were added!

Originally Posted by juhanh
I flew MEL-LHR on QF arriving on Sunday. The points from that flight will push me over the Plat threshold (Who would’ve thought this will ever happen).
I still have return leg to fly.
I also have LHR-HEL-TLL (and back) coming up this weekend.
QF points have been notoriously bad at posting previously.

Old Jul 22, 2017, 12:34 am

Flying ncl-hel soon over lhr. Just noticed that ncl-lhr arrives t5 and the lhr-hel flight leaves T3. I have 1u55... More than enough time to make the flight, but how much time will I have in cx first lounge?
Old Jul 22, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
About 1h. 20 mins to T3, walk through security to lounge 15 (assuming you are eligible for fast track). You leave the lounge latest T-30 which gives you 50 mins or so to enjoy champers.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:05 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
AY 12 SFO to HEL in Business - questions

Hi, I'm a complete Finnair noob, hope you will be gentle and forgive what may be dumb questions...

I'm considering booking AY12 from SFO to HEL in Business class. From what I've seen here and a cursory search generally, this looks like a pretty nice (though not spectacular) modern business class cabin, albeit with a decidedly quirky seat layout.

On a flight of this length (10 hours), for me it's all about getting some good restful sleep, so I can arrive rested, happy, and ready to hit the ground running. How are these seats for sleeping? Are they reasonably wide at the shoulders, elbows, hips and feet? Some lay-flay seats have bits of the armrest, seat shell, etc that prevent one from really getting comfortable, while some allow those protruding elements to fold down or swivel out of the way, allowing one to spread a bit and relax. Also, some seat designs have teeny little foot cubbies that complicate things for your feet when sleeping (it sounds like the foot cubby varies quite a bit depending on the seat). How are these things?

Once your flight is booked, is it relatively straightforward to select seats (with the Finnair PNR/confirmation number) or do they make that hard?

Finally, any other things a noob should watch out for when booking, choosing seats and flying this flight?

Many thanks for your input (please be gentle).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.