Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Does anyone know how much AY charges if you want taxes and airport fees of your Light ticket back?
Old Oct 6, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Jainzar
Does anyone know how much AY charges if you want taxes and airport fees of your Light ticket back?
Used to be €50. YQ/YR is non-refundable.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 12:19 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I don't think there is a fixed amount for all LI tickets, it will depend on market. Ie a light ticket departing HEL may have another penalty than a light ticket departing say FRA. You need to find your fare rules.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 3:02 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by ffay005
Used to be €50. YQ/YR is non-refundable.
And taxes excluding surcharges rarely exceed 50€ @:-) so basically no refund.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 3:57 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond
When flying with Oneworld partners is it the marketing airline that determines the amount of points earned, similar to how other airlines calculate this? I ask because I have an upcoming flight with an AA number, BA metal, and the earning rates are very different between AA and BA.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 4:06 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
If both operating and marketing carriers are Oneworld alliance members, then points are earned according to the marketing carrier booking code. This is a general rule in Oneworld - not just Finnair.

And yes, it can yield interesting results, especially with the transatlantic joint venture.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: AY Plat
About to become a Plat. After making HEL-BKK later on this week and once those points will be posted - I will be 5000 points away from Plat which will be easy to do via Award points conversion to Tier.

Question: What about longhaul upgrades as a Plat benefit? My tracking period ends 10.31 hence in 3 weeks. Does it mean that I will get those 2 upgrades with the validity of 3 weeks (meaning useless) once I become Plat? And then another 2 vouchers on 11.01 with the validity of 1 year?

Since I will become Plat via points conversion, I can easily control the date when I will do it Maybe there is some "sweet spot date"? Say if I do it 7 days before the tracking period ends, maybe this will result in 4 upgrade vouchers with the validity of 1 year? I know, its a bit cheeky... but found some older posts that this trick used to work..

Any recent experience and advice?
Old Oct 8, 2017, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by adrs
About to become a Plat. After making HEL-BKK later on this week and once those points will be posted - I will be 5000 points away from Plat which will be easy to do via Award points conversion to Tier.

Question: What about longhaul upgrades as a Plat benefit? My tracking period ends 10.31 hence in 3 weeks. Does it mean that I will get those 2 upgrades with the validity of 3 weeks (meaning useless) once I become Plat? And then another 2 vouchers on 11.01 with the validity of 1 year?
Exactly. But you can use your vouchers for flights after the end of October. You just need to apply them before November.
Since I will become Plat via points conversion, I can easily control the date when I will do it Maybe there is some "sweet spot date"? Say if I do it 7 days before the tracking period ends, maybe this will result in 4 upgrade vouchers with the validity of 1 year? I know, its a bit cheeky... but found some older posts that this trick used to work..

Any recent experience and advice?
What I gathered here and from the chat is that you might/should simply not get those vouchers valid until end of October. No higher quantity in the next period.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:00 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE)
LATAM flight

I am a little confused about earning points with LATAM flights. If I enter my flight to mileage calculator, it shows ~4,5k points for a one way flight LHR-GRU in V booking class JJ ticket. However if I check from the "table", it says that 100% points should be accrued, which would amount to more than 9k per flight. I​​​​​​ asked Finnair chat about it and she told that ~4,5k points earning is correct. I flew the route last year (V booking class and JJ ticket) and got 100% points.

Have the point accrual amounts changed recently? Or who is the confused party here?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum
I happened to think about if any of you have some Finnair Plus statistics knowledge?

For example how many Finnair Plus members there are and what is the member distribution of different levels. Could it be something like this?

Platinum 5 000 members
Gold 50 000 members
Silver 300 000 members
Basic 2 500 000 members

Totally: ~3 000 000 members

Curious is to see different opinions and comments!
Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I saw somewhere the respective SK EB numbers - their top tier was 1% of all members (IIRC)
Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:04 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by AndyA
I am a little confused about earning points with LATAM flights. If I enter my flight to mileage calculator, it shows ~4,5k points for a one way flight LHR-GRU in V booking class JJ ticket. However if I check from the "table", it says that 100% points should be accrued, which would amount to more than 9k per flight. I​​​​​​ asked Finnair chat about it and she told that ~4,5k points earning is correct. I flew the route last year (V booking class and JJ ticket) and got 100% points.

Have the point accrual amounts changed recently? Or who is the confused party here?
I don't have an answer for you, but what I can tell you is that the calculator does not always work. So don't count on that. And in January, I received points from a reward flight on LA. So I'd say pretty much anything is possible.

What does JJ ticket mean?
Old Oct 11, 2017, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by ffay005
What does JJ ticket mean?
I assume a LATAM Brazil ticket (which is I think the former TAM).
Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Jainzar
I assume a LATAM Brazil ticket (which is I think the former TAM).
You are indeed correct.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Gifting Gold Status

Hi guys!

I've gifted Gold status to a friend. How long will it update that they have gold status? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.