Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2017, 4:20 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
So it differs from BA who allows it for the booking...
Depends on the airline. If e.g. I fly AA as a OWE, anyone (up to 8 ppl) on my booking can benefit from my extra luggage allowance. With AY, it is VERY personal, so only for the one that holds the card. (Which makes the whole implementation incosistant, as e.g. seat reservation is for free for anyone on the same booking)
Old Oct 16, 2017, 4:42 am

Programs: AY*PL, TK*ELPL, AF*PL, HH*Diam, MR*Plat
Credit on AY flight op by FI

Just wondering if AY6831 operated by FI brings in tier/award miles as if it were an AY flight, or just award miles as if it were a FI flight?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 5:04 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Does the extra baggage benefit for tier members apply for member only or the whole booking?
Member only.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
Depends on the airline. If e.g. I fly AA as a OWE, anyone (up to 8 ppl) on my booking can benefit from my extra luggage allowance. With AY, it is VERY personal, so only for the one that holds the card. (Which makes the whole implementation incosistant, as e.g. seat reservation is for free for anyone on the same booking)
Originally Posted by lkrt
Member only.
Thanks. Was wondering about the AA allowance so it's nice to get 3 bags per person at 32kg each.

Last edited by miamiflyer8; Oct 16, 2017 at 5:26 am
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:41 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by cerberusbites
Just wondering if AY6831 operated by FI brings in tier/award miles as if it were an AY flight, or just award miles as if it were a FI flight?
If your ticket says AY and you're collecting to AY+, you will get award points and tier points as if you were flying AY – although not by zone but km-based.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by cerberusbites
AY marketing codes always earn tier and award points to AY+ program regardless of operating carrier. It might not credit to any other OW program however. This is independent of the frequent flier agreement between FI and AY (e.g. it also works for AY codes on AF domestic flights).
Old Oct 16, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
I don't think non-OW-operated flights earn any tier points.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Not, when it's on FI code. When on AY code, op by FI, it's a different case (maybe)
Old Oct 16, 2017, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by lkrt
I don't think non-OW-operated flights earn any tier points.
They sure as hell do. It's even in the Finnair Plus rules.

Originally Posted by Finnair
As a Finnair Plus member you can also earn points for Finnair codeshare flights (flights marketed by Finnair and operated by another airline). If you have purchased a codeshare flight that is issued under a new ticket type, you will earn points based on the ticket type, points multiplier and distance flown.
(...)
If you have purchased a codeshare flight not issued under a ticket type, you will earn points based on the booking class, points multiplier and distance flown.
I have gotten credit for AY-on-AF and AY-on-3K in the past year.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 4:10 pm

Baggage on layover in HEL on Finnair

Hi. Going from FCO-HEL-JFK. Arriving in HEL at 00:05 and leaving at 14:10. Does checked baggage go through or do I have to lug it around for 14 hours? Thanks.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:19 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by oaken
Hi. Going from FCO-HEL-JFK. Arriving in HEL at 00:05 and leaving at 14:10. Does checked baggage go through or do I have to lug it around for 14 hours? Thanks.
It is checked through.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's going to happen in this scenario?

Upgrade voucher is about to expiry, so I apply it to a flight in the future. Will I keep the upgrade if I later change the flight to another date (even more in the future) or lose the upgrade?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
What's going to happen in this scenario?

Upgrade voucher is about to expiry, so I apply it to a flight in the future. Will I keep the upgrade if I later change the flight to another date (even more in the future) or lose the upgrade?
From earlier discussion with CS, I understood that if the flight changes while retaining the same booking code, and upgrade is available then the upgrade will be carried over. Otherwise, the upgrade is lost... but you could ask CS to reinstate it manually (as I successfully did).
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My problem is, that by that time the original validity will have expired, so reinstating would not help there.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: AY+ Gold
I've had some points gifted to my by a family member. And I'm looking to exchange some points to tier points. I don't quite have the half earned yet to move up to Gold, but wondering if they ever run promotions on transfers to tier? Since I don't have the half needed yet so there's no rush to move the points around yet.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.