Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo (LTG) OW Emerald, SPG Platinum (LTG), UA Silver
Originally Posted by intuition
Are you able to select seats for free and ither similar perks provided by departure control system (where it needs to make a roundtrip to back-end FF systems)? This is where I've found issues with name mis match.
The only problem I have had for maybe 2 years is to select a seat if that leg is on the upgrade waiting list. So I have to first select the desired seat in Y and then request the upgrade. But I do not think that it has anything to do with the name. Something else is broken...
intuition likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:23 pm

Programs: QRPC-Plat/OWE, MPC, BAEC
Overnight stay in HEL

Dear all,

I will be arriving HEL at 23:10 and leaving 07:55, on flights in the same ticket. Is there any lounge which is open? Or are there any recommendations for spending the night in the airport? Thank you!

Cheers,
Kelvin
Old Oct 12, 2018, 8:06 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by HOLYMOLEAIR
I will be arriving HEL at 23:10 and leaving 07:55, on flights in the same ticket. Is there any lounge which is open? Or are there any recommendations for spending the night in the airport?
No lounges are open 24/7. There are some sunbed-type padded loungers scattered around the airport, at least at gate 11. I've seen them in the non-Schengen side, too, but can't remember where. Then there are some sleeping pods, see https://www.finavia.fi/en/newsroom/2...eeping-airport
Old Oct 12, 2018, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
Next month I am flying AY JFK to HEL and transiting directly to RVN. I would like to have some duty free alcohol with me when I arrive in RVN. If I buy it at JFK will i be able to take it with me though HEL on to the second flight? If not is there another option, such as checking it in HEL to RVN? Thanks
Pax arriving from the US will not need to pass security at HEL. You will enter the gate area and just walk to your next gate (via passport control). So make sure you don't go airside landside, and you'll be fine.

Last edited by ffay005; Oct 13, 2018 at 5:44 am
Old Oct 12, 2018, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by Aviating

The only problem I have had for maybe 2 years is to select a seat if that leg is on the upgrade waiting list. So I have to first select the desired seat in Y and then request the upgrade. But I do not think that it has anything to do with the name. Something else is broken...
No, that applies to me, too, and I have no ÅÄÖ in my name.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 12:51 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Originally Posted by ffay005
Pax arriving from the US will not need to pass security at HEL. You will enter the gate area and just walk to your next gate (via passport control). So make sure you don't go airside, and you'll be fine.
On a direct transit, it would be fine even if there was a security check, as long as the duty free bags would be sealed and contained receipt showing the date of purchase at JFK.
And I assume you meant landside, because airside is exactly the place to stick to in such a case (although, the above mentioned would still apply, so not that big deal of stepping landside, just a potential problem at some airports).
Old Oct 13, 2018, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Within the EU the sealed bags are "valid" for 24 hrs - ie you can go landside/downtown and the sealed bag would still be accepted at security (though some scrutiny of the receipt in the bag is to be expected) Logic would dictate that the same should be true for other "safe" origins, but you never know.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by on22cz
And I assume you meant landside
Of course! Thanks! Mistake fixed.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 5:56 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum (OWE), HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AX
Originally Posted by Aviating
You can check-in downtown any time. The luggage is transported to the airport, so you do not need to drag it on the train.
Thanks, great news!
Old Oct 13, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold
I requested a LH upgrade with vouchers on the phone for Mai 2019 and now in the app I see:

the latest transaction is 0 points to long haul upgrade on ...

the vouchers are still in my app. Its obviously not through yet otherwise I would have got an email and the vouchers would be gone but am I still on the waitlist? How can I find that out? And should I call again? The woman on the phone was surprised there wasn't any availability considering flying in Mai ...
Old Oct 14, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: AY Gold
Originally Posted by HOLYMOLEAIR
Dear all,

I will be arriving HEL at 23:10 and leaving 07:55, on flights in the same ticket. Is there any lounge which is open? Or are there any recommendations for spending the night in the airport? Thank you!

Cheers,
Kelvin
If you consider booking a room, the GLO hotel could work for you. The hotel is located at Terminal 2 landside, on the ground floor: https://www.glohotels.fi/en/hotels/glo-airport
Old Oct 15, 2018, 12:07 am

Programs: AY Platinum
Originally Posted by jimaras08
the vouchers are still in my app. Its obviously not through yet otherwise I would have got an email and the vouchers would be gone but am I still on the waitlist? How can I find that out? And should I call again? The woman on the phone was surprised there wasn't any availability considering flying in Mai ...
You should see it online when looking up your reservation on AY webpage. It should show both your trip on Y class as well as a waitlisted business class reservation for the same flight. Additionally, I think also Checkmytrip shows waitlisted reservations.
jimaras08 likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Why AY has these 2 flights from BCN almost the same time? Would it not be nice to bundle them into one aircraft, obviously A359 then? Wishful thinking...I really love the LHR morning 8am flight with widebody, please more of that for shorthaul routes, hey AY! I am fed up with E90 and A320 business class cramped seats and all that.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by FFlash
Why AY has these 2 flights from BCN almost the same time? Would it not be nice to bundle them into one aircraft, obviously A359 then? Wishful thinking...I really love the LHR morning 8am flight with widebody, please more of that for shorthaul routes, hey AY! I am fed up with E90 and A320 business class cramped seats and all that.
As a rule of thumb wide-bodies are more expensive per pax to operate than narrow-body. Usually there are two reasons for the usage of wide-bodies on SH: much cargo or a restricted amount of slots.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 10:29 am

Probably BCN is very J-light, so J would remain mostly empty or be filled with upgraders and op-ups. Two A321s can accommodate many more Y pax than a A359. However, I'd love to see more widebodies on Euro flights, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.