Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2018, 2:35 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by EuroFlash
I have understood that if you become Platinum not too far from the end of your tracking period you may not get the upgrade vouchers at all when turning Platinum. Is that correct?
The end of my tracking period is 23rd of February 2019, and I will become platinum around the 30th of January. Will that be early enough to get both the vouchers when turning Plat, and when entering my full year of plat?
Tracking periods end at the last day of a month, so it is the 28th in your case. And 1 month leaves enough space if your flights post in a reasonable time (3 weeks). So maybe better not to use e.g. LA on the last flights.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 11:18 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold
If you checkin in the schengen area in HEL, is there a way to get to the non-schengen area (premium lounge)? I'm checking in at gate 21.

edit: not possible. Only if departing from non schengen or if arriving at non schengen and flying from schengen ...

Last edited by jimaras08; Sep 8, 2018 at 11:30 pm
Old Sep 9, 2018, 1:52 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
Hi all, this is not Finnair specific question but you all may be able to help me. If I'd want to book a ticket from Kuopio to Bangkok via Helsinki the only options I get through Google Flights are very expensive Finnair flights (which is obvious..). But in Matrix I can find Finnair + Qatar options too and they easily save me +- 200 euro.

If I would book this through a travel agent, will I get just on PNR which I can use for seat reservations etc? Can this ticket even be booked by Finnair CS? Will bags get checked through? In case there is a delay on one of the flights, are the airlines (which one of the two actually?) responsible for rebooking me onto a new flight (just like it's always the case with regular bookable tickets)?

I'd generally want to know what the ups and downsides are of having a ''complex'' ticket which has to be booked by an agent. I can't seem this fare anywhere else online.

Old Sep 9, 2018, 6:36 am

If I would book this through a travel agent, will I get just on PNR which I can use for seat reservations etc?
Usually yes.
Can this ticket even be booked by Finnair CS?
It is a QR fare so probably not.
Will bags get checked through?
Yes.
In case there is a delay on one of the flights, are the airlines (which one of the two actually?) responsible for rebooking me onto a new flight (just like it's always the case with regular bookable tickets)?
If the flight from KUO is delayed, then it is AY, otherwise QR. Also bear in mind that EU261 regulation only applies on the outbound (except for the very last leg).
I'd generally want to know what the ups and downsides are of having a ''complex'' ticket which has to be booked by an agent. I can't seem this fare anywhere else online.
The matrix sometimes shows a false availability. So it can be that it is not bookable. You can check e.g. with bookwithmatrix.com.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: BA gold, OWE
I can't seem this fare anywhere else online.
Momondo gives you this alternative. It redirects you to Tripmonster, that I have no experience, but pricing it 592€. Fare seems to be QLFIP1ZX

BTW, funny rule by QR:
PASSENGER SELF OFFLOAD DECISION REFUSAL OF
FURTHER TRANSPORTATION
IF AFTER CHECK-IN YOU AND OR ANY PASSENGER
ACCOMPANYING YOU DECIDE NOT TO TRAVEL ON A QATAR
AIRWAYS SERVICE WITHOUT A VALID REASON AND INFORM
US LESS THAN THREE HOURS PRIOR TO THE FLIGHT
DEPARTURE THEN THE FOLLOWING WILL APPLY
A. IF THERE IS A FLIGHT DELAY AS A RESULT OF YOUR
DECISION THEN WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO RECOVER
FROM YOU ANY AND ALL DIRECT COSTS INCURRED DUE TO
DISRUPTED OPERATIONS WHICH INCLUDE REMOVAL OF
YOUR BAGGAGE FLIGHT DELAY DISRUPTIONS AND
MISCONNECTIONS OF OTHER PASSENGERS. IN ADDITION
WE WILL CANCEL YOUR ENTIRE TICKET FOR ANY FURTHER
TRANSPORTATION WITH NO REFUNDS.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 2:30 pm

Hi,
First post on this forum: Planning on booking a ticket from LHR to TAY (Tartu) via HEL on Finnair. I would have an 8h connection in Helsinki: would AY let me short check my luggage to Helsinki? Thanks
Old Sep 10, 2018, 2:40 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
AFAIK, there is no clear policy on short-checking. A good agent can do it, but YMMV.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 4:37 am

Ok, thanks!
Old Sep 12, 2018, 12:02 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
Seat&Meal, way to take away status benefit of choosing good seats?
I have HEL-LHR itienary booked on A321's in Y and while trying to take seats as front as possible, 3 front rows are assigned as Seat&meal-seats with a fee of 36e/10 000p -> on a itienary with one AY Plat and one AY gold, these seats are technically not available to choose without paying.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 12:09 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
It's been around for a while on few routes. IME they open up at some point during OLCI if they are not sold.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 3:14 am

Programs: JMB
Just a little bit confused... for my flight HEL-KIX in november the bidding for upgrade to business is already open starting with 570€. On the other hand, if you want to upgrade with AF+ points, you need 50k of them. You can buy 50k points for ~540€. Why risk not to get an upgrade if you can buy a guaranteed upgrade for less?
Well, of course, just waiting for a last minute offer would be even "cheaper" (if available at that point) ;-)
Old Sep 12, 2018, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by Seyan
Just a little bit confused... for my flight HEL-KIX in november the bidding for upgrade to business is already open starting with 570€. On the other hand, if you want to upgrade with AF+ points, you need 50k of them. You can buy 50k points for ~540€. Why risk not to get an upgrade if you can buy a guaranteed upgrade for less?
Well, of course, just waiting for a last minute offer would be even "cheaper" (if available at that point) ;-)
You can upgrade with 50k points, if there is upgrade space available (i.e. booking class F). And often there isn't when you place your upgrade request. So it is also not guaranteed until it gets accepted.
Seyan likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Jainzar
You can upgrade with 50k points, if there is upgrade space available (i.e. booking class F). And often there isn't when you place your upgrade request. So it is also not guaranteed until it gets accepted.
Ah okay, just waitlist... so better not buy points that won't be used
But Finnair doesn't seem to want my money. I have a schedule with stop at HEL. First I made a seat reservation for my long haul with AY+ points (normal seat). A few weeks later I changed my mind for an economy comfort seat -> contacted the chat to cancel the seat and refund the points. That was no problem, so I made a new reservation for the economy comfort seat (paying with money) and a normal seat for the short haul (paying with points). By now Finnair hasn't charged my CC (the reservation was seven weeks ago and there's also no queued request), and after contacting them twice (one time by chat, one time by phone) they don't understand what's the problem (that I want the economy comfort seat to be paid). Well, it's not my job to make sure they charge my CC... the worst that can happen is that the economy comfort seat reservation will be cancelled before the flight. As long as I won't be stranded at Helsinki ;-)
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Seyan
By now Finnair hasn't charged my CC (the reservation was seven weeks ago and there's also no queued request), and after contacting them twice (one time by chat, one time by phone) they don't understand what's the problem (that I want the economy comfort seat to be paid). Well, it's not my job to make sure they charge my CC...
Well, those kind of things happen from time to time even though 7 weeks is already quite some amount. My last car rental nearly a month ago is also nowhere to be found on my CC account.

But if something is wrong with your CC they usually approach you sooner than later.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Jainzar
Well, those kind of things happen from time to time even though 7 weeks is already quite some amount. My last car rental nearly a month ago is also nowhere to be found on my CC account.

But if something is wrong with your CC they usually approach you sooner than later.
It was the same CC I used for the booking of my flight. Also, shouldn't the CC check alert if there's something wrong with the information?
The problem is, I want the reservation to be paid but no one at Finnair seems to be interested in getting my money ;-)
As I said: I tried to chat and phone them. Since that didn't work I don't think it's my duty to chase them to get my money ;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.