Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Yes.

I had to run 157 legs to see those 200k options.
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
Which you can choose from a bunch of really valuable gift options (like a CD set in 2018(!)), when you reach 200K points within a tracking period.
too bad if you qualify by segments (which I will.. im at 46K tierpoints now, with 46 flights. Lol... all exclusively Finnair except for 2 BA flights) I expect to be way below 100K points when turning plat. No gift for me I assume?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:19 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by EuroFlash
No gift for me I assume?
The gift is then your new Platinum status.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 12:14 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
And here's me thinking the gift is to have the Finnair experience 150 segments a year!
Old Oct 11, 2018, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Clydez
Really? I was thinking otherwise.
For reaching gold the segments is reasonable, but 6.3 segments/month is too much travelling
Do you have data to backup to just assuming here? im also curious
I think it's anecdotal. Of course this being FT, there are many who qualify by segments, but some/many of us hit 2-4-500.000k yearly, so that's obviously qualification by points. I for one hit Lumo with 43 segments (IIRC) + some strategic points exchange (best points usage ever! Net outlay was a few 10k's, tops) Those 43 segments took me to some 386k points.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Booking a ticket for a friend who unfortunately has Ö and Å in his last name. Do I enter them simply as Ö and Å, O and A or OE and AA? What about his AY+ account as I've heard about issues?
Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:34 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I never transcribe Å, Ä ,Ö in names on tickets, and have never had any issues.
However do I have issues with AY+ at times, but I doubt it would help to fake ticket name. Chances you are able to fit whatever transcription AY does or does not do at a certain point in time is slim to nil.

Put the correct data on ticket and if AY can't handle it, call CS. Most problems seems to be around seat selection and other "features" of their new system. I'd rather have the imaginary seat block not work than being denied boarding due to name mismatch.

Just my 2 cents.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by intuition
I never transcribe Å, Ä ,Ö in names on tickets, and have never had any issues.
However do I have issues with AY+ at times, but I doubt it would help to fake ticket name. Chances you are able to fit whatever transcription AY does or does not do at a certain point in time is slim to nil.

Put the correct data on ticket and if AY can't handle it, call CS. Most problems seems to be around seat selection and other "features" of their new system. I'd rather have the imaginary seat block not work than being denied boarding due to name mismatch.

Just my 2 cents.
Thanks!
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:28 am

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo (LTG) OW Emerald, SPG Platinum (LTG), UA Silver
The booking engine on the AY website just changes Ä->A on the ticket when you purchase the ticket.

I have Ä in my name in the AYFFP and have not ever had any problems.

When I enter the name in conjunction with my passport information I transliterate Ä->AE as it is done in the machine readable area in the lower part of the passport.

Using consostently just A was in the past nerver a problem for example in US. But in Australia they were very picky about the transliteration Ä->AE, so I started to use that everywhere the passport is involved; visa applications, ESTA, passport information in the reservation. In the India visa they convert AE back to A. China issues the visa as AE. Nigeria actually converted AE to Ä (maybe as the visa was issued in Stockholm).
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:41 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum (OWE), HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AX
I am taking the 00.25 a.m. AY flight from HKG. Does anyone know what time the check-in desk at the airport will usually open? I know AY states at least 2h before departure but would prefer to take myself to the airport somewhat earlier and just spend the remaining time in the CX lounge. I understand that I could as such check in also at Kowloon but I am mostly concerned about dropping off my checked luggage.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:57 am

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo (LTG) OW Emerald, SPG Platinum (LTG), UA Silver
You can check-in downtown any time. The luggage is transported to the airport, so you do not need to drag it on the train.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 6:19 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by Aviating
I have Ä in my name in the AYFFP and have not ever had any problems.
Are you able to select seats for free and ither similar perks provided by departure control system (where it needs to make a roundtrip to back-end FF systems)? This is where I've found issues with name mis match.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Next month I am flying AY JFK to HEL and transiting directly to RVN. I would like to have some duty free alcohol with me when I arrive in RVN. If I buy it at JFK will i be able to take it with me though HEL on to the second flight? If not is there another option, such as checking it in HEL to RVN? Thanks
Old Oct 12, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
Next month I am flying AY JFK to HEL and transiting directly to RVN. I would like to have some duty free alcohol with me when I arrive in RVN. If I buy it at JFK will i be able to take it with me though HEL on to the second flight? If not is there another option, such as checking it in HEL to RVN? Thanks
Flights from EU and US are deemed safe at HEL, thus you will not have to go through transfer security => you can take the tax free liquor with you to your next flight. (don't know what would be the case for flights from other destinations. How would HEL security behave? Would they allow sealed tax free bags through?)

Obviously, if you leave airside, you'll have to check it in, as you'll not be allowed through security with it (provided that your bottles are bigger than 100ml).
Old Oct 12, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: AY+Plat
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun

(don't know what would be the case for flights from other destinations. How would HEL security behave? Would they allow sealed tax free bags through?).
My understanding is that they will allow if it was bought airside at US airport : https://www.finnair.com/pl/pl/easy/p...-liquid-policy

Update: After reading it more carefully, I am not so sure

Last edited by lento; Oct 12, 2018 at 9:28 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.