Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2016, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by casper79
New Question... as part of my integration program in Finland I will book an aurinkomatkat travel (when in Rome act like the Romans) .

When I take the deal to upgrade to business, do I get the 16k tier points per direction?
No, points are awarded per booking class.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 10:49 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, Lounge Key, Accor basic, AY basic, HHonors Diamond
Is same plane turnaround possible at AMS?

Just booked Easter run AMS-HEL-LHR-BOS-DCA-ORD-DCA-BOS-LHR-MAD-CDG 927€ in J. Plan is to fly AY845 HEL-AMS and AY846 back.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 11:01 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by jp_fin
Yes and it's one of the easiest places to do it.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 11:14 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, HHonors Silver

Just booked Easter run AMS-HEL-LHR-BOS-DCA-ORD-DCA-BOS-LHR-MAD-CDG 927€ in J. Plan is to fly AY845 HEL-AMS and AY846 back.
Next question! With these kinds of mileage runs, how often are they screwed up due to delays?

And what happens to the itinerary? When you are in contact with airline service, will they understand you need to be rerouted via the same/similar airports, or will they just book A to B scrapping your points target?

Signed, "never done a mileage run"
Old Sep 25, 2016, 11:23 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, Lounge Key, Accor basic, AY basic, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by CeruleanBlue
Next question! With these kinds of mileage runs, how often are they screwed up due to delays?
Sometimes they are. Last month our PTY-MIA was 1 hour late causing us to miss MIA-DCA connection.

And what happens to the itinerary? When you are in contact with airline service, will they understand you need to be rerouted via the same/similar airports, or will they just book A to B scrapping your points target?
In that case we were rerouted to MIA-JFK next day and sent to hotel in Miami. I have made ORC for missing 180TP:s, still waiting for those.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Depends on the ticket (one ticket or several), what kind of connections you have (e.g 1 hr vs 1 day) where you are missing your connection, etc... and of course upon the agent rebooking you.

E.g missing your BOS-DCA connection will hardly result on you being put on a BOS-CDG flight, but missing your BOS-LHR might result in a BOS-CDG (I'm just guessing, though)
Old Sep 25, 2016, 11:36 pm

Nice! My newbie question: I take it this price isn't possible with AY codes?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
No, points are awarded per booking class.

Well, it is a big surprise. But the tickets came through... and it is I-class.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 2:15 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
We are talking an Aurinkomatkat here? AY flight number in the 1000-1999 series?
Don't these just earn a flat 1000 points for a return?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 3:27 pm

Programs: AY Gold
Many (most?) of their former charters or "leisure flights" are officially scheduled flights nowadays.

According to their website they now have totally nine scheduled destinations in Greece, eight destinations in Italy, seven in Spain (exc the Canaries) and five in the Canary Islands.

Checked a couple of destinations in the Greek islands, the flight numbers are AY900 serie.

Last edited by Andaman; Sep 30, 2016 at 3:45 pm
Old Sep 30, 2016, 3:44 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by intuition
We are talking an Aurinkomatkat here? AY flight number in the 1000-1999 series?
Don't these just earn a flat 1000 points for a return?
I think it was 1000 points for return to Europa and Mediterranean area and 4000 for a return on longhauls with flight number range 1000-1999.
Aurinkomatkat used to fly Cuba, Vietnam and Dominican Republic last winter. No idea about next winter offerings.

The booking class is probably I on these longhauls, but the accrual rate is cut by the flight number, IMHO. I have flown once to Thailand 4-5 years ago and afair it was flat 3000 points that time.

EDIT: just read casper79's question more closely and apparently he is talking about European flights.
Aurinkomatkat can have own flight numbering system on some routes, but most of the current destinations are operated in scheduled flight number range, very often 700, 800 or 900 series. An upgraded ticket should never have booking class I.
The longhauls for Aurinkomatkat only are a different story and I am on thin ice here.

Last edited by ff_flyer; Sep 30, 2016 at 3:58 pm
Old Sep 30, 2016, 11:03 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by ff_flyer
Aurinkomatkat used to fly Cuba, Vietnam and Dominican Republic last winter. No idea about next winter offerings.
Next winter long haul charters are to Cuba and Dominican.

And those flights are Finnair Charters with many tour operators involved.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 2:18 am

It is thailand. I think it is regular flight because you can also book online. I will let know when the miles arrived.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 3:28 am
HJP

Programs: AY+ Gold
Originally Posted by casper79
It is thailand. I think it is regular flight because you can also book online. I will let know when the miles arrived.
Did you upgrade with points through AY or with money through Aurinkomatkat? At least some years ago Aurinkomatkat offered the upgrade on their website for a fixed €€€ price depending on destination. This might lead to real Biz-bookingclass...
Old Oct 1, 2016, 5:55 am

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by HJP
Did you upgrade with points through AY or with money through Aurinkomatkat? At least some years ago Aurinkomatkat offered the upgrade on their website for a fixed €€€ price depending on destination. This might lead to real Biz-bookingclass...
If you upgrade with points or vouchers the booking class will be F, not I.

Aurinkomatkat is indeed offering a possibility to upgrade to business with a fixed price of 320€ - 450€ oneway. Thailand is mentioned, but as LGG wrote above it will not be operated as a charted flight nnext winter. IF it is BKK and flt number like AY089 or AY095 the booking class is apparently I => 16000 points oneway if I get it right.
A good deal or not, depends on the basic price of the travel package.

http://www.aurinkomatkat.fi/hyva-tie...businessluokka (in Finnish only)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.