Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

The Emirates Forum Brunch - Off-topic chit-chat and banter

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Emirates Forum Brunch - Off-topic chit-chat and banter

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2017, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Thanks for all these. We eventually changed to the Sofitel at Sukhumvit as I've got a load of Accor points to use up, so got it for free. Get lounge access as well. They are having some sort of a party on Monday night that we've also been invited to (free booze!).

Booked Vertigo for one night. And a dinner cruise for another.

We'll check out some of the bars mentioned also.
Should have made it the Sofitel So instead - they have a pool party on Saturday

http://www.so-sofitel-bangkok.com/wi...he-water-club/
Old Aug 27, 2017, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold
As per the op-up thread finally back in J after a 1-year hiatus (back in Y on EK772 in a few hours though...), And noticed the hot towels after boarding are larger and better quality. Not all cost cutting after all...?

Also a newer 77W (EGU) with the thinner (but not thinnest) tablet controllers, which is unusual on an India route.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 1:28 am

Programs: EK Plat
A few random observations...

1) Chocolates are now supplied by Neuhaus in J/F.

2) Sandwiches at the bar on the a380 are now packaged. I guess the cost of packaging is less than having a greater ability to recycle food from flight to flight?

3) Was on a very old airframe (A6-EBM) the other day which has an updated OnAir Wi-Fi interface where you could watch Live TV through your phone / laptop. It actually worked very well and the quality was much better than on the screen. Haven't found this to be available on any flight since.

Flame3601 likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 1:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lkaroo
A few random observations...

3) Was on a very old airframe (A6-EBM) the other day which has an updated OnAir Wi-Fi interface where you could watch Live TV through your phone / laptop. It actually worked very well and the quality was much better than on the screen. Haven't found this to be available on any flight since.
That is interesting!!! I hope long-term EK doesn't plan to replace seat-back IFE with streaming, but I'm sure they won't, purely for the cost of changing so many aircraft, they won't want the inconsistency of half the fleet having built-in IFE, + they make a point of having best IFE in class.

Addition of streaming is a nice potential value-add though, Live TV obviously uses a different satellite band to the WiFi, so interesting to see them splice the two together into the OnAir network.

On that note, I'm really appreciating the unlimited free Wifi in Y that I'm getting with the recent EK Wifi Changes. Also their Wifi card in the seat back pocket has some great info. A380s bandwidth of 864kbps and 777s between 2-3mbps
Old Aug 30, 2017, 1:33 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Thanks for all these. We eventually changed to the Sofitel at Sukhumvit as I've got a load of Accor points to use up, so got it for free. Get lounge access as well. They are having some sort of a party on Monday night that we've also been invited to (free booze!).

Booked Vertigo for one night. And a dinner cruise for another.

We'll check out some of the bars mentioned also.
Did Bully's tonight on the way back from the dinner cruise. Pretty soulless American style bar IMO. Maybe 20 people in there at 22:00.

Craft was very nice (Soi 23).

There's a great Mexican style place next to the hotel. Open 24 hours a day, and came in very handy when we arrived at 1am desperate for food and drink after our diverted flight adventure.

Doing Vertigo tomorrow... I'm not expecting the food to be great, but what the heck, we're in Bangkok.

Another great storm at the moment.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
That moment when you think you have been op-up'ed as the check in agent is sticking first class bag tags on your bag , even thou you are traveling in J. Then you get all hyped then pop the question and get a reply of ," oh no , we just ran out of business class bag tags."

grrrrr
Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by Flame3601
That moment when you think you have been op-up'ed as the check in agent is sticking first class bag tags on your bag , even thou you are traveling in J. Then you get all hyped then pop the question and get a reply of ," oh no , we just ran out of business class bag tags."

grrrrr
Standard for platinums in any class.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 1:36 am

Not worth its own post, but a quick thanks to everyone here!

Going to be hitting Skywards Gold on an upcoming trip later this month - JUST ahead of my honeymoon trip (mostly in economy). My soon to be wife is very excited to enjoy all of the various Emirates lounges on our journey to Bali.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by RichardAtCT

Going to be hitting Skywards Gold on an upcoming trip later this month - JUST ahead of my honeymoon trip (mostly in economy). My soon to be wife is very excited to enjoy all of the various Emirates lounges on our journey to Bali.
Enjoy! If you have a flex plus you'll be in good shape for an upgrade
Old Sep 1, 2017, 3:34 am
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by m3red
Standard for platinums in any class.
Or for Golds if you speak nicely...
Old Sep 1, 2017, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by m3red
Enjoy! If you have a flex plus you'll be in good shape for an upgrade
Just Flex sadly. But one can be hopeful. Also going to look at cash-upgrading once Emirates takes over the booking from the "TA" after the first segment. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emira...y-booking.html)
Old Sep 1, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Originally Posted by RichardAtCT

Congrats , if the wedding is also within the next few weeks then i am sure the CPT Flyertalk crowd wouldn't mind popping in to spread the love on your special day ..
Old Sep 1, 2017, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flame3601
Congrats , if the wedding is also within the next few weeks then i am sure the CPT Flyertalk crowd wouldn't mind popping in to spread the love on your special day ..
Old Sep 9, 2017, 1:58 am

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
If anyone is going to be at HopFest Dubai today I'll be there. I'm the Asian guy with the glasses and the fro, hard to miss. My tourist sim expired so I'm "off the grid" today. Otherwise I'll be in the F lounge tomorrow the 10th from 11-2.

Looking forward to seeing ppl there!
Old Sep 9, 2017, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by Metanoia
If anyone is going to be at HopFest Dubai today I'll be there. I'm the Asian guy with the glasses and the fro, hard to miss. My tourist sim expired so I'm "off the grid" today. Otherwise I'll be in the F lounge tomorrow the 10th from 11-2.

Looking forward to seeing ppl there!
If I wasn't so hungover I'd come out!

I think DYKWIA is there today too...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.