Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

The Emirates Forum Brunch - Off-topic chit-chat and banter

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Emirates Forum Brunch - Off-topic chit-chat and banter

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold
Separate observation, the Standard Meal has been renamed to "Emirates Meal"
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Separate observation, the Standard Meal has been renamed to "Emirates Meal"
Like "Happy Meal" ? The frequent F guests might love the inclusion of McNuggets... or EkNuggets?
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Metanoia
Like "Happy Meal" ? The frequent F guests might love the inclusion of McNuggets... or EkNuggets?

Don't knock it until you've tried it
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by eternaltransit

Don't knock it until you've tried it
I will, next time though it's Veuve 2008 in J for me :-/ Perhaps someone charitable will bring me a glass from F...

Or maybe the two complaint e-mails I have out will yield some extra miles for an upgrade
Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:13 am

Programs: Skywards silver
Anyone had any experience of the SPG mobile app being a different price than Starwood or the hotels own website?
Currently app is £150 cheaper than Starwood or hotels own website for 7 nights stay?
no mention on app of any app based deal.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bouncingsouls
Anyone had any experience of the SPG mobile app being a different price than Starwood or the hotels own website?
Currently app is £150 cheaper than Starwood or hotels own website for 7 nights stay?
no mention on app of any app based deal.
Haven't used the SPG website that recently but their search results page is a little convoluted, so possible to miss the best fare. Also are you logged into the website? You may not be seeing the best member rate while the app is showing that rate? Selected a rate with breakfast on site but not app? Also same number of people? Some hotels have a surcharge for a 2nd adult.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:26 am

Programs: Skywards silver
Haven't used the SPG website that recently but their search results page is a little convoluted, so possible to miss the best fare. Also are you logged into the website? You may not be seeing the best member rate while the app is showing that rate? Selected a rate with breakfast on site but not app? Also same number of people? Some hotels have a surcharge for a 2nd adult.
thanks for your reply.
i think I have gone through most of the options you mention.
i will go ahead and book through the app, and hopefully I won't get an email asking to pay more.
little bit unfair though for people that don't check the app and only rely on website.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Just called EK to add a stopover in DXB for the 29th, quoted mr $1600!!! (to change a Y flight to add a stopover) as only Flex Plus available. I said no thanks.

Turns out he had already cancelled the first sector (which I wasn't even changing!) and now I'm waitlisted and lost my seat assignment.

Not a major issue, since seat map is wide open and I called back and they said they're just waiting for DXB to re confirm, as the flight is full, but a little odd as I've often called before to inquire about changes without going through.

Upgrade to J with stopover would've been cheaper at $1000....
This gets worse and worse. They've confirmed my first leg which was waitlisted after they screwed up, but now my CPT flight has dropped off my reservation entirely....

Also trying a date change and only available is Flex Plus for a 400USD additional cost. Almost tempted to take it as it should be a guaranteed op-up given how busy the flights are. Only 2 seats left for that also (probably gone by now)
Old Aug 20, 2017, 3:45 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
This gets worse and worse. They've confirmed my first leg which was waitlisted after they screwed up, but now my CPT flight has dropped off my reservation entirely....

Also trying a date change and only available is Flex Plus for a 400USD additional cost. Almost tempted to take it as it should be a guaranteed op-up given how busy the flights are. Only 2 seats left for that also (probably gone by now)
I would pull the trigger on that Flex Plus switch. You're guaranteed the flight, you get the miles and as you say its almost certain that you'll be bumped up! Think of it like an email upgrade ;-)
Old Aug 20, 2017, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sydtogla
I would pull the trigger on that Flex Plus switch. You're guaranteed the flight, you get the miles and as you say its almost certain that you'll be bumped up! Think of it like an email upgrade ;-)
Haha, well I've had the CPT flight reinstated by the Twitter team, but still waitlisted. Waiting to see if the date change is necessary. On Flex with my planned travel for the year I'll hit 51k tier miles, so no need for additional miles
Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:12 pm

Haha, well I've had the CPT flight reinstated by the Twitter team, but still waitlisted. Waiting to see if the date change is necessary. On Flex with my planned travel for the year I'll hit 51k tier miles, so no need for additional miles
You need another 99k
Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m3red
You need another 99k
I'd be spending the rest of the year shuttling around the world in Y to get there
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:07 pm

New colours and images now on seat selection map on my laptop - hideous, although a change was required.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
As per EK's Facebook page, for those looking to save on duty free purchases...

"Need an excuse to indulge? For a limited time, you can enjoy 20% off your onboard Duty Free shopping when you spend USD 95 or more. Shop between 24 August and 3 September 2017."

Old Aug 25, 2017, 11:12 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Best bar on Sukhumvit by far is Bully's if you ask me. Not seedy, nice food and good beer selection.
e.g., off the top of my head you can go 5 minutes round the corner to Hyde & Seek, which ticks beer and food boxes with an interesting crowd.

Of course, if you do want a pub atmosphere, then you can go up Soi 11 - and, to be on-topic for FT, I think a couple of airlines stay in that area too
Easy access to rooftop things - Octave at Marriott 57 is probably easiest for you.

Out of the rooftop bars I still think Vertigo at Banyan Tree has the best views but the food is overpriced and bad. I think if you get up there for 6pm you can see sunset without being overrun by crowds (it goes get popular).

As for wine and beer, the wine trend has just about faded and is now embedded into BKK but craft beer and coffee is now the thing. You're probably 10-20 minutes walk/BTS from good places at SGS, or 10-200 minutes by car.
Thanks for all these. We eventually changed to the Sofitel at Sukhumvit as I've got a load of Accor points to use up, so got it for free. Get lounge access as well. They are having some sort of a party on Monday night that we've also been invited to (free booze!).

Booked Vertigo for one night. And a dinner cruise for another.

We'll check out some of the bars mentioned also.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.