Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

The Emirates Forum Brunch - Off-topic chit-chat and banter

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Emirates Forum Brunch - Off-topic chit-chat and banter

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:02 am

Programs: Skywards silver
Does DXB duty free have decent prices on perfume or would buying in BKK be cheaper?
ive never bought anything from DXB duty free so iam unaware if is better priced than BKK.
Cheers
Old Jul 24, 2017, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by Bouncingsouls
Does DXB duty free have decent prices on perfume or would buying in BKK be cheaper?
ive never bought anything from DXB duty free so iam unaware if is better priced than BKK.
Cheers
Globally average prices, but a better selection than BKK.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 5:52 am

Both can be checked on line before you travel.

https://www.kingpower.com/en/

https://online.dubaidutyfree.com/ddf/home.jsp
Old Jul 31, 2017, 12:30 am

Hello from the BA forum :-)

I usually fly Oneworld for work and pleasure but due to a change in work policy will be taking a few EK flights over the next 6 months, my first time on Emirates :-)

Route will be LHR - DXB - CAN / HKG - DXB - LHR

Out in J, back in F

So far i've booked my pickups, selected seats 9A/K for J and 2A for F, familiarised myself with the wine list and shower policy for the F segments

Points to be credited to Alaska and i'll ask them to match status with BA (Gold) a couple of weeks before my first flight

Is there anything else i should be doing or have forgotten?

TIA
Old Jul 31, 2017, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by AndyUK_101
Hello from the BA forum :-)

I usually fly Oneworld for work and pleasure but due to a change in work policy will be taking a few EK flights over the next 6 months, my first time on Emirates :-)

Out in J, back in F

So far i've booked my pickups, selected seats 9A/K for J and 2A for F, familiarised myself with the wine list and shower policy for the F segments

Points to be credited to Alaska and i'll ask them to match status with BA (Gold) a couple of weeks before my first flight

Is there anything else i should be doing or have forgotten?

TIA
Hi Andy, welcome to the EK Side. Excited to hear your feedback after flying EK on how you compare it to BA, we hope favourably.

EK won't match you to Gold, they only grant one tier up of your current tier. It thus makes sense to perhaps wait until after you reach Silver (which you should quite quickly with those kind of flights) and then get matched up to Gold. But flying in Premium there aren't many benefits to status anyway. If you credit to Alaska you won't of course earn any tier miles on EK and not earn any status.

Sounds like you've got it all covered, perhaps review your lounge options in DXB (they're all very similar, but familiarize yourself with the airport layout and know which lounges are reachable given your layover times and route to connecting gate)
Old Jul 31, 2017, 5:42 am

Out in J, back in F

So far i've booked my pickups, selected seats 9A/K for J and 2A for F
I would change the J seats. If you're on the A380 you're too far from the bar and toilets. 23A or 23K are usually touted as the best option, including by me. If you're on a B777 you're in the rear cabin which is not as nice as the front one. Y passengers go through on boarding and it's larger and more impersonal.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 5:52 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by ft101
I would change the J seats. If you're on the A380 you're too far from the bar and toilets. 23A or 23K are usually touted as the best option, including by me. If you're on a B777 you're in the rear cabin which is not as nice as the front one. Y passengers go through on boarding and it's larger and more impersonal.
Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I try to avoid the rear A380 J cabin. There will be a constant traffic of pax and crew past you to get to the lounge and lavs, just as you're laying there with your hand down your pants or up your nose as you watch a crap movie. I'd rather be the lurker rather than be lurked upon. If you're on a flight to/from the UK, the lounge is also likely to be a full on pub, too (), so it may get noisy. A walk up to the back never hurts on those ULH flights, either.

As for the 777 be careful with row 7, as there is a window missing there (you'll have to lean forward to see out of the second window for your row).
Old Jul 31, 2017, 6:14 am

Programs: EK Gold
Originally Posted by extramileage
Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I try to avoid the rear A380 J cabin. There will be a constant traffic of pax and crew past you to get to the lounge and lavs, just as you're laying there with your hand down your pants or up your nose as you watch a crap movie. I'd rather be the lurker rather than be lurked upon. If you're on a flight to/from the UK, the lounge is also likely to be a full on pub, too (), so it may get noisy. A walk up to the back never hurts on those ULH flights, either.

As for the 777 be careful with row 7, as there is a window missing there (you'll have to lean forward to see out of the second window for your row).
+1

I always try and stay as far forward in J on the 380 - primarily for the reason extramilage mentioned above.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Hi Andy, welcome to the EK Side. Excited to hear your feedback after flying EK on how you compare it to BA, we hope favourably.

EK won't match you to Gold, they only grant one tier up of your current tier. It thus makes sense to perhaps wait until after you reach Silver (which you should quite quickly with those kind of flights) and then get matched up to Gold. But flying in Premium there aren't many benefits to status anyway. If you credit to Alaska you won't of course earn any tier miles on EK and not earn any status.

Sounds like you've got it all covered, perhaps review your lounge options in DXB (they're all very similar, but familiarize yourself with the airport layout and know which lounges are reachable given your layover times and route to connecting gate)
Hi, Thanks for the response, must admit i am looking forward to it myself

I have flown LHR - HKG a couple of times on a BA A380 in J so have a good base to compare against

It is a good point on the miles / TP side of things, i have an account with Alaska already (no status, couple of k points) and know they have a generous status match programme but given i'll be doing this route at least twice, probably 3 times this year going for status with EK might make more sense

Thank you
Old Jul 31, 2017, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by ft101
Hi, I am on the A380 for all the legs

I did have a look at the rear cabin but was a little concerned by the reports of noise from the bar and the delays to service

Do generally prefer these though, not strictly comparable but the Finnair A350's have something similar and always try and grab the rear cabin

Would be interested in first hand experience of this cabin

Thanks
Old Jul 31, 2017, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by nmc980
+1

I always try and stay as far forward in J on the 380 - primarily for the reason extramilage mentioned above.
Other than a night cap don't imagine i'll be using the bar much on the way back but maybe an option on the way out :-)

Thanks both
Old Aug 1, 2017, 12:07 am

I find the A/K seats on the A380 keeps me far enough away from any aisle traffic and never notice the noise, but everyone's different. I always take an aisle (7J preferred) on the B777 so the missing window isn't an issue.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 12:39 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Hi, I am on the A380 for all the legs

I did have a look at the rear cabin but was a little concerned by the reports of noise from the bar and the delays to service

Do generally prefer these though, not strictly comparable but the Finnair A350's have something similar and always try and grab the rear cabin

Would be interested in first hand experience of this cabin

Thanks
Welcome to the 'bling side' as usually referred to on my other frequented forum. I was.....apprehensive before my first EK flight having been used to BA/OW but have thoroughly enjoyed my experience on EK and have personally found the transfers in DXB a lot more pleasant than LHR. The one thing I do like at DXB is the gate being published for your onwards flights well in advance (usually) in comparison to LHR which allows you to choose which lounge to go to and relax. Obviously it's good to check now and again to make sure no gate changes but better than the constant checking you have to do at T5.

I am another advocate of row 23 (A or K) on the 3 class A380. Never been bothered by bar noise and nothing a set of ear plugs wouldn't help with anyway. Those seats are very private and the cabin is small too. All of my A380 J flights apart from 1 have been in those seats and would always go for them if available. (Although I see ft101 hasn't mentioned the flower holder ).

As for the service, it's a hand delivery affair and sometimes I have found that although the crew have started at the front, another crew member may do service in the rear cabin simultaneously but can't say I've noticed that it has taken a great deal of time to be served.

Hope you enjoy your experience and would be good to hear your thoughts afterwards.

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Old Aug 1, 2017, 12:44 am
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
I'm looking for a replacement F Pyjama bag- one of the 2017 felt ones. I've been using one as a laptop carrier but sadly it is now broken. Anyone out there willing to part with theirs? I'll pay (postage at least, I am Scottish). 6 months of use and mine is now torn.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 12:48 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by sydtogla
I'm looking for a replacement F Pyjama bag- one of the 2017 felt ones. I've been using one as a laptop carrier but sadly it is now broken. Anyone out there willing to part with theirs? I'll pay (postage at least, I am Scottish). 6 months of use and mine is now torn.
Better hope that F upgrade comes through one way or the other on your next flights

S

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.