FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   The Emirates Forum Brunch - Off-topic chit-chat and banter (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1845270-emirates-forum-brunch-off-topic-chit-chat-banter.html)

skywardhunter May 30, 2017 2:21 am

The Emirates Forum Brunch - Off-topic chit-chat and banter

Hey Guys and Girls,

I've mentioned it before but figured I'd finally just start a thread for non-specific chit-chat around EK which doesn't warrant it's own thread.

The EK forum has in the past year, or so I feel, from a lot of off-topic sidelining posts in threads to a very linear and formal sub-forum where the regulars have been less chatty and it's been mostly just people asking questions and others answering. That's all fine but let's get some spirit back into it!

As Friday Brunch is a big event in Emirates' home of Dubai, I figured it an apt title.

I'll start with something certainly not worthy of it's own thread (and I've got dozens of these little observations I'd love to share and see how others feel or if others notice):

EK Lounge bathrooms (specifically in DXB, but I think also some outstations): the doors lock the wrong way (turn counter-clockwise to lock). Have you noticed? If so how often do you still try lock them the wrong way or have you programmed it into muscle memory yet? I found myself this morning locking the door from muscle memory in the DXB B Concourse J Lounge, but still had to think about it.

Any idea why they are like this? Is it a ME thing? I don't remember noticing it elsewhere in the ME.

sydtogla May 30, 2017 3:03 am

Can confirm that down under we lock anti-clockwise. :cool:

Ever noticed the main concourse lavs (concourse A) beside the prayer room are.. traditional? Was caught short a few weeks ago and had to use them. A hole in the ground and a shower head wasn't what I had in mind for a constitutional.

skywardhunter May 30, 2017 3:09 am

Originally Posted by sydtogla (Post 28377191)
Can confirm that down under we lock anti-clockwise. :cool:

Ever noticed the main concourse lavs (concourse A) beside the prayer room are.. traditional? Was caught short a few weeks ago and had to use them. A hole in the ground and a shower head wasn't what I had in mind for a constitutional.

AFAIK there are both types, usually 80% western 20% the other style (not sure if I should call it Middle Eastern, Eastern, Asian, Indian or hole in the floor? :D).

FWIW apparently it's much better for you anatomically.

weasel07 May 30, 2017 3:49 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 28377207)
AFAIK there are both types, usually 80% western 20% the other style (not sure if I should call it Middle Eastern, Eastern, Asian, Indian or hole in the floor? :D).

FWIW apparently it's much better for you anatomically.

It always bugs me when people call the sitting down toilet "western" style. The first time I experienced squat toilets was in Italy ffs!

"Squat toilet" and "sit down toilet" are maybe better labels for the two types?

vytas315 May 30, 2017 4:25 am

Thanks @skywardhunter for starting the thread, great idea! I don't think I've ever used restrooms in DXB outside the lounges and have never seen a squat toilet in the lounge restrooms.

<another_tangent>However I do dislike it when the entire stall is soaked from people using the bidet... I'm not really familiar with their use, but my understanding was that proper use would not result in getting the seat and floor wet?? Actually curious to hear from others what the norms are in bidet using regions of the world.</another_tangent>

DYKWIA May 30, 2017 5:13 am

Originally Posted by vytas315 (Post 28377381)
<another_tangent>However I do dislike it when the entire stall is soaked from people using the bidet... I'm not really familiar with their use, but my understanding was that proper use would not result in getting the seat and floor wet?? Actually curious to hear from others what the norms are in bidet using regions of the world.</another_tangent>

That's more likely to be people washing their feet with the showerhead.

skywardhunter May 30, 2017 5:26 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 28377497)
That's more likely to be people washing their feet with the showerhead.

Huh? :confused:

DYKWIA May 30, 2017 5:42 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 28377539)
Huh? :confused:

Lot's of people from that part of the world wash their feet. Have you never walked into the toilets at DXB and seen a whole bunch of people washing their feet in the sinks?

I walked into this at DOH a couple of years ago. The place was flooded, with some poor cleaner trying to rescue the place :)

m3red May 30, 2017 5:45 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 28377579)
Lot's of people from that part of the world wash their feet. Have you never walked into the toilets at DXB and seen a whole bunch of people washing their feet in the sinks?

I walked into this at DOH a couple of years ago. The place was flooded, with some poor cleaner trying to rescue the place :)

Yes before praying.

skywardhunter May 30, 2017 6:09 am

Originally Posted by m3red (Post 28377587)
Yes before praying.

That makes sense, can't say I've noticed it however. In the lounge that is.

In the concourse if you make it past the 20m queue hold your breath, close your eyes and stumble in and out as fast as you can.

On that note, do you guys also feel sorry for those haggard looking travellers in a long snaking queue to the ladies bathroom next to that weird assembly line bakery and forest place between C and B gates (after Burger King)?

HKprince May 30, 2017 6:23 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 28377579)

Most EK lounges have a dedicated 'feet washing station' in the toilets for this purpose

sydtogla May 30, 2017 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 28377654)
That makes sense, can't say I've noticed it however. In the lounge that is.

In the concourse if you make it past the 20m queue hold your breath, close your eyes and stumble in and out as fast as you can.

On that note, do you guys also feel sorry for those haggard looking travellers in a long snaking queue to the ladies bathroom next to that weird assembly line bakery and forest place between C and B gates (after Burger King)?

Ha! I know the spot you mean. Such a depressing part of DXB.

JTPictureman May 31, 2017 12:23 am

Originally Posted by weasel07 (Post 28377302)
It always bugs me when people call the sitting down toilet "western" style. The first time I experienced squat toilets was in Italy ffs!

"Squat toilet" and "sit down toilet" are maybe better labels for the two types?

We always call them bombardier's. :p

RadioGirl May 31, 2017 1:02 am

Well, this thread sounded like fun but it sure went down the toilet quickly!
:D:D

sydtogla May 31, 2017 10:02 pm

A question but not worth another thread: Are the cigars in the J/F cigar lounges complementary? I've never looked close enough.