Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

The Emirates Forum Brunch - Off-topic chit-chat and banter

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Emirates Forum Brunch - Off-topic chit-chat and banter

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2017, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by sydtogla
Currently sat on the oversold EK412 next to a chronic farter. So bad that crew have started spraying the cabin!
Spraying is a health requirement unless it's above and beyond that. Enjoy!
Old Oct 9, 2017, 1:46 am
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Has anyone done a calculation recently on the value of 1 skywards mile used to upgrade v 1 skyward mile used to purchase an award flight?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 2:06 am
Original Poster

Has anyone done a calculation recently on the value of 1 skywards mile used to upgrade v 1 skyward mile used to purchase an award flight?
Not recently but redemption values haven't changed since I did last year. Upgrade value if used for the entire segment (2 flights, connecting in DXB) is around 1.6-1.8cpm (US cents per mile). Redemption much worse, in April for a Y saver award I achieved around 0.4cpm, due to high surcharges, this value varies widely based on route as redemption costs in miles are based vaguely on distance (using the Skywards region system) regardless of how many surcharges there are, so routes of equal distance with different levels of surcharges achieve different value.

Miles to reduce cash cost are about 0.8cpm IIRC but someone may want to recalculate this.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Currently sat on the oversold EK412 next to a chronic farter. So bad that crew have started spraying the cabin!
One less reason to have slimline seats in Y... and thankful that EK has life vests instead of having to hug a seat cushion.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 3:05 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Not recently but redemption values haven't changed since I did last year. Upgrade value if used for the entire segment (2 flights, connecting in DXB) is around 1.6-1.8cpm (US cents per mile). Redemption much worse, in April for a Y saver award I achieved around 0.4cpm, due to high surcharges, this value varies widely based on route as redemption costs in miles are based vaguely on distance (using the Skywards region system) regardless of how many surcharges there are, so routes of equal distance with different levels of surcharges achieve different value.

Miles to reduce cash cost are about 0.8cpm IIRC but someone may want to recalculate this.
Thanks mate. I knew that it was obviously better value to upgrade but those figures are actually quite dramatic. Looks like I'll be using my stash for a few upgrades before Dec!
Old Oct 9, 2017, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks mate. I knew that it was obviously better value to upgrade but those figures are actually quite dramatic. Looks like I'll be using my stash for a few upgrades before Dec!
I got extremely bad value because it was a redemption from South Africa, where the taxes and surcharges are around $400 on a $750 ticket (rough conversions from SA rand, it's in the ballpark).

HKG-BKK in F for 39k miles seemed like a better deal (with $15 in fees), but I don't recall what the revenue fare was at the time.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 3:16 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

I got extremely bad value because it was a redemption from South Africa, where the taxes and surcharges are around $400 on a $750 ticket (rough conversions from SA rand, it's in the ballpark).

HKG-BKK in F for 39k miles seemed like a better deal (with $15 in fees), but I don't recall what the revenue fare was at the time.
EX-DXB to Europe in Nov I'll be hitting somewhere around 13cpm which I think is fair dinkum. Holding out for another IT glitch that allows a double upgrade (even when it appears it sadly doesn't work).

Last edited by sydtogla; Oct 9, 2017 at 5:25 pm
Old Oct 9, 2017, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

EX-DXB to Europe in Nov I'll be hitting somewhere around 0.13cpm which I think is fair dinkum. Holding out for another IT glitch that allows a double upgrade (even when it appears it sadly doesn't work).
0.13 US cents per mile? That's pretty poor, unless you mean $0.13/mile, which is amazing. Wish I had the miles for a double upgrade.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 5:26 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

0.13 US cents per mile? That's pretty poor, unless you mean $0.13/mile, which is amazing. Wish I had the miles for a double upgrade.
Good pickup!
Old Oct 9, 2017, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Good pickup!
I used to loiter a lot in the MR forum where it's all about cpm, quickly noticed half the posts were $pm (dpm?) but labelled cpm. Not been around there a while, should go back, they've occasionally got some good deals (unfortunately it's heavily US-biased)
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:30 am

Programs: EK Gold, TK Elite, Marriott Rewards, Global Entry, MileagePlus
In case you guys missed this internet gem from a few years ago related to dollars vs. cents...apparently maths is hard

Summary:
http://verizonmath.blogspot.co.ke/20...rom-cents.html

The audio:
http://verizonmath.blogspot.co.ke/20...-customer.html

The XKCD comic:
https://xkcd.com/verizon/
sydtogla likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vytas315
In case you guys missed this internet gem from a few years ago related to dollars vs. cents...apparently maths is hard

Summary:
http://verizonmath.blogspot.co.ke/20...rom-cents.html

The audio:
http://verizonmath.blogspot.co.ke/20...-customer.html

The XKCD comic:
https://xkcd.com/verizon/
thanks for sharing
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:45 am
Original Poster

are these new headphones in J?

Last edited by skywardhunter; Oct 17, 2017 at 3:50 am
Old Oct 17, 2017, 4:59 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK

Looks pretty similar to the ones I has 5 weeks ago but not sure.

Did you get upgraded....?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 5:02 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex

Yes, saw them appear a few months ago.

I use my own so I can't really tell you if the sound quality is better than the old ones.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.