Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EasyJet refunds

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2020, 11:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
If airlines made a firm commitment to process refunds within 28 days, that would be one thing -- even though 28 days is 21 more than EU law requires. But that's not what we're seeing. More typical is easyJet's "don't pester us for 90 days" (my interpretation) bit. I have some sympathy for airlines trying to survive, but not that much sympathy. At some point your credit card issuer will reject a disputed charge on the ground that you waited too long, so this isn't just a matter of being patient for the return of your money. It might determine whether you ever get your money back at all.
Old May 29, 2020, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Yes, I agree with you. Many airlines hope that a fraction of affected passengers will forget about it.
Old May 29, 2020, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by wingnuthead
This includes the management layers that tried to arbitrage customer monies (ie the 28-90 day wait) to avoid being fired or the company collapsing. And in most cases, they still got fired and the companies became insolvent.

The whole thing is a mess. So many of us who are "experienced" travelers are exhausted by the airlines behavior over the years, even though we tolerate it so we can get where we're going. So it makes these arbitrage efforts seem like sleazy games, when in fact, the airlines are trying to survive. So our instinct is to think they are being malevolent, but in fact, its just a panicked and clumsy reaction to the chaos of Covid.
All the more reasons to decline any vouchers offered and demand cash refund. What good is a voucher of a bankrupt airline? Think airberlin - would you be happy holding €€€€ in their vouchers?
Old May 30, 2020, 3:20 am

Programs: BA Silver
This is my experience of dealing with easyJet. I had over 15 bookings cancelled most of which I was happy to move to other dates as I personally think they are quite generous in allowing (if the flight was cancelled) to change your booking to any destination and any date with no additional cost at all (not even fare difference).

3 flights I asked for refund:
1) online refund button was still available so clicked that and got my money back within 3 days
2) no online refund button, made my way through the labyrinth of links to find the refund form, submitted, received "do bot bother us" email. 10 days ago I went into the booking again (which should still be available, not through manage my account but through manage my booking - without login in) and voila refund button was there again, clicked onto it, money in the account within two days ago.
3) called their call center, managed to get through quite quickly (well 35 minutes) and the agent arranged refund which was in my account in about 10 days.

So if you asked for the refund via the form and still waiting for your money, try step 2, worked for me. Good luck.
Old May 30, 2020, 6:08 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Plat, UA status-less after 15 years
Originally Posted by dhuey
If airlines made a firm commitment to process refunds within 28 days, that would be one thing -- even though 28 days is 21 more than EU law requires. But that's not what we're seeing. More typical is easyJet's "don't pester us for 90 days" (my interpretation) bit. I have some sympathy for airlines trying to survive, but not that much sympathy. At some point your credit card issuer will reject a disputed charge on the ground that you waited too long, so this isn't just a matter of being patient for the return of your money. It might determine whether you ever get your money back at all.
All true, and its unfortunate that we are all suspicious of airline management behavior these days after years of their generally terrible behavior.

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
All the more reasons to decline any vouchers offered and demand cash refund. What good is a voucher of a bankrupt airline? Think airberlin - would you be happy holding €€€€ in their vouchers?
Yes, the whole voucher thing really turned into somewhat of a joke, not just in the EU, but also in the US. It really showed that the airlines draconian accumulated policies over the past decades around refunds/fees/penalties really created serious trust issues with their customers, without whom, the airlines simply wouldn't exist, which is exactly what we're seeing with the whole covid driven demand vanishing.....

I actually wonder if there will be any long term positive benefit to the actual customers, or will the airlines simply go back to their arrogant ways of dealing with their customers money and time.

On another note though, all my EZ flights have now been cancelled. So applied for refunds for all. Will absolutely do as dhuey did, and give them a bit of time, but then will contact Chase for refunds. Funny too, as badly maligned as Norwegian gets here on flyertalk, I found their entire customer experience dealing with the whole covid thing to be simple, straightforward and clear. EZ did seem to go out of their way to make refunds hard to find and obtuse to chase down.
Old May 30, 2020, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by lehovec
So if you asked for the refund via the form and still waiting for your money, try step 2, worked for me. Good luck.
Just for the heck of it I checked and no luck of any kind. After plugging in name and booking number -> "Your details are invalid" So it seems they scrubbed the whole booking from their system.
Old May 30, 2020, 10:24 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Just for the heck of it I checked and no luck of any kind. After plugging in name and booking number -> "Your details are invalid" So it seems they scrubbed the whole booking from their system.
I think that was reported before. If you've started a chargeback, then they delete your booking. Saying that, my booking is still showing.
Old May 31, 2020, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by lehovec

2) no online refund button, made my way through the labyrinth of links to find the refund form, submitted, received "do bot bother us" email. 10 days ago I went into the booking again (which should still be available, not through manage my account but through manage my booking - without login in) and voila refund button was there again, clicked onto it, money in the account within two days ago.

I just tried this also, and no joy here either. I actually tried going in through a different browser also, and it automatically logged me in when I put in my booking number and name, so back to the exact same "Manage Disruption" option.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 5:13 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze; ALL Gold
Not directly related to refund - though I'm still waiting, 35 days after requesting it online - but I also had the recent confirmation that my booking details had been compromised in the data breach. As my flight was one way from Italy, it's not surprising that I've started having phishing emails from scammers masquerading as Italian banks wanting me to 'confirm' my details. As all they include is my email address (they should know my name too but don't use it), these are easy to spot - but confusing as I'm also awaiting refunds from Trenitalia and a ferry company.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 12:36 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, SK Gold, BT VIP, Radisson Premium, Accor Platinum
One datapoint: my flight got cancelled and I requested a refund on 17.3. Got the first confirmation email of the request. Got another confirmation mail on 28.5. that was slightly confusing :

Next steps
  • Your request is being processed
  • Please allow up to 28 days for this to be processed
  • If you have not received your voucher after this time, and you have not had a refund back to the original card used on the booking, please contact us.

Payment details
  • Payment to easyJet of €48.87 by Mastercard on 30/10/2019
  • Payment to easyJet of €48.87 by Credit/Voucher on 29/05/2020
  • Refund of €48.87 to Mastercard on 29/05/2020
The refund was paid on my credit card 29.5. and posted 1.6. by my credit card company. The voucher part on there looked a bit strange, maybe part of the method they use for the refunds.

Small amount so wasn't too bothered about the waiting.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 4:22 am

Well, well....

Amex have closed my dispute. Not our problem guv' :-

We are writing to you with important information about the enquiry you previously filed with us from EASYJET EASYJET LUTON for £355.98.

Thank you for providing us supporting documents. Due to nature of the claim, unfortunately the documentation received could not be used to contact the Merchant and therefore, we are unable to proceed with the investigation. If you still want the cash refund, we suggest you contact the merchant directly as we only act as the billing agent in this scenario.

Please understand that the Merchant may be more responsive to a call from you, their customer, than to our request.

As a result, the amount previously under review has been reapplied to your account balance and you will see this adjustment on an upcoming statement. We regret that the merchant’s response was not as you expected and hope you understand our position in this matter as we at American Express are not in a position to influence the merchant’s policies or T&C.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by aapee
One datapoint: my flight got cancelled and I requested a refund on 17.3. Got the first confirmation email of the request. Got another confirmation mail on 28.5. that was slightly confusing :

The refund was paid on my credit card 29.5. and posted 1.6. by my credit card company. The voucher part on there looked a bit strange, maybe part of the method they use for the refunds.

Small amount so wasn't too bothered about the waiting.
So it took about 2 1/2 months from beginning to end... I wonder if it will move faster now as things return to some version of normal. I guess my early May requests won't come in until mid summer....

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Well, well....

Amex have closed my dispute. Not our problem guv' :-
Now that totally sucks. Do you still have the refund requests with EZ? Their wording (Amex) is totally bizarre though. The "documentation couldn't be used to contact"????
Old Jun 2, 2020, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by wingnuthead
Now that totally sucks. Do you still have the refund requests with EZ? Their wording (Amex) is totally bizarre though. The "documentation couldn't be used to contact"????
As far as I know, the EZ request is still ongoing.

I was doing an online chat with Amex. They said it was to the merchant to provide the refund, and that they are sorry if I'm not happy with the merchant response!

Old Jun 2, 2020, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
As far as I know, the EZ request is still ongoing.

I was doing an online chat with Amex. They said it was to the merchant to provide the refund, and that they are sorry if I'm not happy with the merchant response!

I just don't understand that response. If you claim a chargeback because of " goods or services not received" BECAUSE YOU HAVEN'T RECEIVED THE SERVICE - their response doesn't make any sense. Can you make the claim again?
Old Jun 2, 2020, 3:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by James91
I just don't understand that response. If you claim a chargeback because of " goods or services not received" BECAUSE YOU HAVEN'T RECEIVED THE SERVICE - their response doesn't make any sense. Can you make the claim again?
I too am confused. "Thank you for providing us supporting documents. Due to nature of the claim, unfortunately the documentation received could not be used to contact the Merchant and therefore, we are unable to proceed with the investigation." The nature of your claim is easyJet didn't provide the service you paid for (they cancelled the flight). I assumed you provided documentation to show the itinerary you purchased, and the easyJet cancellation of that itinerary. I don't know why they can't relay that documentation to easyJet, or why that is in any way insufficient to establish that you are entitled to a chargeback.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.