EasyJet refunds

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2020, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Well, well....

Amex have closed my dispute. Not our problem guv' :-
As you're in the UK, I guess it's off to the small claims court. And of course changing your amex to visa or MC.

(I'd also look at the UK consumer protection laws, what it says about it. Over here, the CC company is just as much on the hook as the original seller)
Old Jun 3, 2020, 7:19 am

Programs: I don't fly enough
As far as I know, the EZ request is still ongoing.

I was doing an online chat with Amex. They said it was to the merchant to provide the refund, and that they are sorry if I'm not happy with the merchant response!

Sounds a bit ridiculous if they're going through for other people / other airlines.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 7:54 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
I received my flight cancellation notice today. The email contained a link to request a refund, which I've filled in.

Start the clock!
Old Jun 3, 2020, 10:38 am

Programs: BA Silver
Just note folks that they are cancelling flights singly which nearly caught me out, but perhaps I’m a bit thick ha-ha! I just assumed the first cancellation email was for both sectors because if they can’t get me out there to begin with then how could I be out there for them to get me back? When I got the second email I just thought it was a duplication until my fellow traveller mentioned it. I thought it was a bit naughty of EasyJet.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 4:18 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Plat, UA status-less after 15 years
As far as I know, the EZ request is still ongoing.

I was doing an online chat with Amex. They said it was to the merchant to provide the refund, and that they are sorry if I'm not happy with the merchant response!

Yes, agree with the others. This sounds sketchy, and very unlike what we all expect a credit card company to actually do. I personally, don't use Amex after many bad experiences with them over the years, but that's me, and I know others like them.

I'm also wondering if Amex has different rules/policies for their UK customers. Or its entirely possible that the Amex people that handled your situation are not the sharpest knives in the drawer....
Old Jun 4, 2020, 12:12 am

Well, well....

Amex have closed my dispute. Not our problem guv' :-
You may (not sure) have to wait until after the date of the flight has passed, but there is still the option of a Section 75 claim through the bank.
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 9:28 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by ft101
You may (not sure) have to wait until after the date of the flight has passed, but there is still the option of a Section 75 claim through the bank.
The date of the flight was 30th April I'll probably just wait for the Easyjet refund now. From what people have said above, it's probably < 2 months to get the refund, so only 3 more weeks.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 9:30 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by wingnuthead
Yes, agree with the others. This sounds sketchy, and very unlike what we all expect a credit card company to actually do. I personally, don't use Amex after many bad experiences with them over the years, but that's me, and I know others like them.

I'm also wondering if Amex has different rules/policies for their UK customers. Or its entirely possible that the Amex people that handled your situation are not the sharpest knives in the drawer....
Yeah - I doubt I'll be renewing my £575 Platinum card after this! In fact, once the money is refunded, I may cancel citing this as the reason.
TBD likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 3:11 pm

Programs: BAEC
My easyJet flight EDI-TXL is 6-9 August, however checking tonight no flights are on sale on this route at all until 1st September.

Can I assume that a cancellation will be incoming at some point, and if so is there any way to get EJ to confirm now so I can re-book?
Old Jun 5, 2020, 9:27 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Plat, UA status-less after 15 years
Originally Posted by LothianLad
My easyJet flight EDI-TXL is 6-9 August, however checking tonight no flights are on sale on this route at all until 1st September.

Can I assume that a cancellation will be incoming at some point, and if so is there any way to get EJ to confirm now so I can re-book?
Possibly. I found their planned flights till September in a couple of articles online, don't recall TXL (or any Germany for that matter) being there. Just some UK and a handful of France routes from the UK. But my middle aged memory could deceive me as it usually does.....

We've all been waiting for EZ to cancel, rather than cancelling ourselves, because then you seem to get the "Refund" option, as opposed to the voucher only option if you cancel. Also, while they say they're doing 7 day rolling cancellations, they seem to be doing it much more in advance, 14-18 days in my case.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 9:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Possibly. I found their planned flights till September in a couple of articles online, don't recall TXL (or any Germany for that matter) being there. Just some UK and a handful of France routes from the UK. But my middle aged memory could deceive me as it usually does.....

We've all been waiting for EZ to cancel, rather than cancelling ourselves, because then you seem to get the "Refund" option, as opposed to the voucher only option if you cancel. Also, while they say they're doing 7 day rolling cancellations, they seem to be doing it much more in advance, 14-18 days in my case.
Yes, 14 days was my experience for a late April flight from Paris to Sicily. You definitely want to wait for them to cancel if you want a refund.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 12:47 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
As a reference point, my flight for 16 June was cancelled on 3 June.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 12:55 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by TBD
As a reference point, my flight for 16 June was cancelled on 3 June.
And mine for the 13th June was cancelled on 1st June.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 1:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA exec club, Flying Blue, VFC, IHG Rewards, EasyJet Plus
Well, finally I have received an email from EasyJet. And it makes no sense at all.

As there have been nearly 150 posts since my original, I will quickly recap. I'd booked a weekend away 20-23 March , and on 19th march got a notification that the return flight was cancelled. Since this was when everything was being cancelled I opted for the whole trip to be cancelled and refunded, no point going somewhere you can't get back from.

So I have just received an email starting off like you get when you first book, including next steps check in online, that sort of thing! Then we have payment details, showing my original booking payment by credit card back in march when i booked, then "payment to easyjet by credit/voucher" on 5th June for just about a fifth of the total cost, and finally "refund to credit card" of this same small amount on the same date 5th June. (which incidentally doesn't show yet but normally takes a few days)

I really can't remember the individual costs of each leg, but think it unlikely that the return flight was as cheap as this refund is, if they are only refunding the flight they cancelled and keeping the rest as a credit for future flight or something! Though this probably is the most likely reason for the discrepancies.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Just worked out it's been 79 days! A bit longer than the 7 days promised in the original cancellation email.

Cheers
TT
Old Jun 6, 2020, 2:46 am

Programs: BAEC

Thanks. I'm not too fussed about a refund, I have an alternative destination for that weekend that is currently available and I would just re-book onto that. However, I don't want to do to find that the Berlin flights suddenly appear and actually operate. Probably unlikely but there seems to be no way to find out, unless I message EJ asking to book another seat on the Berlin flight and see what their answer is.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.