Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2015, 6:43 pm

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
A Father's Day Care package included a bottle unknown to me, apparently a newbie on the market.....

Bruichladdich "The Laddie Ten" unpeated Islay malt 10 years in the cask, apparently from an old, abandoned distillery saved from the ax by a band of young investors.

I'd appreciate any experience with the label or whisky from followers of the extended thread.

How to pronounce the distillery's name would help, also!
Old Jun 26, 2015, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by TMOliver
A Father's Day Care package included a bottle unknown to me, apparently a newbie on the market.....

Bruichladdich "The Laddie Ten" unpeated Islay malt 10 years in the cask, apparently from an old, abandoned distillery saved from the ax by a band of young investors.

I'd appreciate any experience with the label or whisky from followers of the extended thread.

How to pronounce the distillery's name would help, also!
Here's some info and a
Old Jun 27, 2015, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

this thread is #5 in diningbuzz now
Old Jun 27, 2015, 6:29 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
this thread is #5 in diningbuzz now
I'll drink to that!
Old Jul 20, 2015, 7:04 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Bought a bottle of the Glenmorangie 10 year over the weekend. Smooth and light. You can taste the citrus.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 9:02 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
Bought a bottle of the Glenmorangie 10 year over the weekend. Smooth and light. You can taste the citrus.
Somehow, reading the above, I envisioned that ghastly Coors product, "Coors Light Citrus whatever", mindful of a degenerate British custom, mixing lager with "lime", lemon lime soda sweeter than "7UP". While I actually enjoy the orange slice in an "Old Fashioned" as it compliments the drinks sweetened Bourbon aura, the idea that whisky from Scotland needs a citrus component escapes me. Experts and the less expert are always writing and talking of all these hidden flavors of this or that Scotch, but 'citrus" has always escaped my palate, perhaps over-loaded with citrus from other sources (included the barbaric custom of lemon in my tea).

Imagine: "Glen Farcus", with just a hint of finnan haddie in the drinking, or "Like raisins in your oatmeal, Loch Notsofine".
Old Jul 20, 2015, 9:18 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by TMOliver
Somehow, reading the above, I envisioned that ghastly Coors product, "Coors Light Citrus whatever", mindful of a degenerate British custom, mixing lager with "lime", lemon lime soda sweeter than "7UP". While I actually enjoy the orange slice in an "Old Fashioned" as it compliments the drinks sweetened Bourbon aura, the idea that whisky from Scotland needs a citrus component escapes me. Experts and the less expert are always writing and talking of all these hidden flavors of this or that Scotch, but 'citrus" has always escaped my palate, perhaps over-loaded with citrus from other sources (included the barbaric custom of lemon in my tea).

Imagine: "Glen Farcus", with just a hint of finnan haddie in the drinking, or "Like raisins in your oatmeal, Loch Notsofine".
Sounds like it's one for you to cross off your list.

You're welcome.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 4:41 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Shipping "special" bottles from Scotland to USA

I have never been too concerned about bringing bottles home from Scotland, but with the TSA rules (I know duty free has an exception from the airport), I am thinking of buying a couple of special bottles from Cadenhead in Edinburgh or another specialty shop. I'm not concerned about damage in my checked luggage, but I am concerned of pilfering of a couple bottles that I pay in excess of £100 each for.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old Jul 24, 2015, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Larrude
I have never been too concerned about bringing bottles home from Scotland, but with the TSA rules (I know duty free has an exception from the airport), I am thinking of buying a couple of special bottles from Cadenhead in Edinburgh or another specialty shop. I'm not concerned about damage in my checked luggage, but I am concerned of pilfering of a couple bottles that I pay in excess of £100 each for.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
check out World of Whisky at LHR
Old Jul 24, 2015, 6:43 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by tentseller
check out World of Whisky at LHR
I'll be returning from GLA, not LHR. I can get a very full range of malts from my local stores; I am much more interested in how to transport something more unique that I cannot purchase at Duty Free. My concern is the shipping, not the price
Old Jul 26, 2015, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

check baggage insurance options?
i also imagine good/best shops/distilleries are good with shipping?

re taste, i have never gotten the whole 'flavor' thing
i dont like sweet/weak, i like strong/full/dry/lasting
for scotch im also not really into peaty/smoky

ive only had two quality alcohol, which i found 'complex'
macallan 25 and penfolds grange wine
Old Jul 26, 2015, 4:26 pm

Anyone ever have to lie about their scotch addiction? My spouse saw my bottle of Macallan 25 and asked how much it cost. Of course, I didn't tell the truth.

Old Jul 26, 2015, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zitsky
Anyone ever have to lie about their scotch addiction? My spouse saw my bottle of Macallan 25 and asked how much it cost. Of course, I didn't tell the truth.

is it new, and did they know that?
can always pretend old / old prices. wish i had bought 30yo.

there are some discussions/questions i often avoid, sometimes including spend/income.
although hard to do that with someone in same household..
Old Jul 26, 2015, 4:40 pm
Original Member

check baggage insurance options?
i also imagine good/best shops/distilleries are good with shipping?

re taste, i have never gotten the whole 'flavor' thing
i dont like sweet/weak, i like strong/full/dry/lasting
for scotch im also not really into peaty/smoky

ive only had two quality alcohol, which i found 'complex'
macallan 25 and penfolds grange wine
Actually, may will not ship to the states - that's is my mean reason for asking if anyone has had any good experiences. I'm not confident about any baggage insurance since the baggage cannot be locked, except for using TSA accessible locks which renders them pretty useless.

I usually prefer peaty - especially Laphroaig, but Lagavuillan, Talisker, and Bowmore are not far behind. I still can appreciate a good Spey side whisky though!
Old Jul 26, 2015, 4:49 pm

is it new, and did they know that?
can always pretend old / old prices. wish i had bought 30yo.

there are some discussions/questions i often avoid, sometimes including spend/income.
although hard to do that with someone in same household..
Yep it's a new purchase. Can't believe how the price has increased the last 5 years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.