Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by Brandon727
GFunkDave I am leaning towards a cheaper(~200) non special edition bottle for 2 reasons, 1st is if i get a macallan 18 then on my 3rd, 5th, 25th anniversary i can buy the "same" bottle to enjoy, 2nd we are going on a cruise honeymoon, and I'd like to pick up a duty-free exclusive bottle.

NYCRuss
Looked online nothing, will check a few local stores.
I'm in Tampa, but would be willing to drive a few hours to get a memorable bottle. Plenty of Total wines to select from, http://www.luekensliquors.com/ has a decent selection, and of course ABC stores. I'm open to any other recommendations you may have it would be the perfect excuse to go out and try some new drams.
Might I suggest some of the travel exclusive offerings by Highland Park?
Old Dec 22, 2015, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
Might I suggest some of the travel exclusive offerings by Highland Park?
Absolutely, the Highland park 15 just keeps finding it's was into my glass.

Going by this list i could get the Highland park Sigaurd, but if not available what else should i look out for? Thanks

http://uk.worlddutyfree.com/uks_en/whiskies.html
Old Dec 22, 2015, 11:54 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Absolutely, the Highland park 15 just keeps finding it's was into my glass.

Going by this list i could get the Highland park Sigaurd, but if not available what else should i look out for? Thanks

http://uk.worlddutyfree.com/uks_en/whiskies.html
Highland Park Harald or Svein.

If you want a blended Scotch. Johnnie Walker has a line of the Travel Exclusive variety. Explorers Club. I bought The Spice Road which is a smoky version of Black Label. That's just my taste. Others may have different opinions.

There is also the Gold Route and the Royal Route. There bottom offering is called "The Adventurer" and I thought it was JW Red Label at first.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 1:46 pm

GFunkDave I am leaning towards a cheaper(~200) non special edition bottle for 2 reasons, 1st is if i get a macallan 18 then on my 3rd, 5th, 25th anniversary i can buy the "same" bottle to enjoy, 2nd we are going on a cruise honeymoon, and I'd like to pick up a duty-free exclusive bottle.

NYCRuss
I'm in Tampa, but would be willing to drive a few hours to get a memorable bottle. Plenty of Total wines to select from, http://www.luekensliquors.com/ has a decent selection, and of course ABC stores. I'm open to any other recommendations you may have it would be the perfect excuse to go out and try some new drams.
Not the best selection there. One that I find interesting, and that might appeal to you, is Glenmorangie Signet. It's a sherry bomb on the chocolate side.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 7:59 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
You might call Five Star Liquor in Wekiva Springs--yeah, a bit of a drive from Tampa, but what, like 2 hours? They had a fantastic selection of ... well, everything, and the staff was very knowledgeable. I came home with a Kavalan aged in bourbon barrels and a couple of bourbons that I hadn't found elsewhere, and had to turn down a few Scotches and Japanese whiskys which were quite appealing.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Someone gifted me a bottle of Macallan 18 today. Always nice to get a bottle you don't already have in the cabinet. Felt the same way last week when I was given a Laphroaig 15 and a Port Charlotte Scottish Barley.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 6:31 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I got to try The Glenlivet Founder's Reserve on an IB flight last night. It's quite good though appreciably stronger than simple Glenlivet 12.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by broadwayblue
Someone gifted me a bottle of Macallan 18 today. Always nice to get a bottle you don't already have in the cabinet. Felt the same way last week when I was given a Laphroaig 15 and a Port Charlotte Scottish Barley.
You have good friends if they keep doing that!
Old Dec 25, 2015, 4:40 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
My wife gave me a bottle of Peat Monster 10th Anniversary for Christmas. I haven't had a chance to try it yet.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 5:23 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by exerda
Peat Monster
Is it twisted that when I saw this name my first thought was, "Which puppet on Sesame Street would that be?"
Old Jan 6, 2016, 10:19 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Taking a train trip with a friend and as we're in a sleeper it's BYOB. He's selected a bottle of Oban 14 for us. I've never had it and am very much looking forward to trying it.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 10:24 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I was unaware that scotch opened up. It's not wine.

I'd check out Macallan 18 (slightly under your price range) and Macallan 25 (in your price range, but of the two I prefer the 18).
Where are you purchasing Mac 25 for $200-$300? I buy it for my restaurant for about $780.

Chris
Old Jan 7, 2016, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
Where are you purchasing Mac 25 for $200-$300? I buy it for my restaurant for about $780.

Chris
Maybe 10 years ago I could buy Mac 25 for $500 in California. Most recently I bought it at a North Carolina state liquor store for $1000. I didn't explore options for shipping it in for out of state. It was an impulse purchase so I just did it. I've said before that I'm not sure I would do it again. The Mac 25 is not as good as I remember from years ago.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 10:14 am

Has anyone ever tried Laphroaig Select? Or even seen it for sale?

I'm working on a bottle of their 10 year old offering. Debating to try the Laphroaig Select or the Quarter Cask next.

Or, the Ardbeg 10.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
Has anyone ever tried Laphroaig Select? Or even seen it for sale?

I'm working on a bottle of their 10 year old offering. Debating to try the Laphroaig Select or the Quarter Cask next.

Or, the Ardbeg 10.
If you've never had Ardbeg 10, go for it. It's neither better nor worse than Laphroaig. Just different, and very much worth trying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.