Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Madone59
Anyone tried the Bruichladdich Black Arts? Specifically the 23yo.
I now have.....it's brilliant!!
Old Jan 25, 2016, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by NYCRuss
If you've never had Ardbeg 10, go for it. It's neither better nor worse than Laphroaig. Just different, and very much worth trying.
I second this. Ardbeg 10 is a great one.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 10:37 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
It's been over a month. Figured I would bump this to the top.

Does anyone here have a daily drinker blended scotch to recommend?

Famous Grouse or the like?
Old Mar 1, 2016, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by DaveBlaine

Johnny Walker Black is perfectly fine and better than Dewars. It was the best scotch I had before going on to things like Macallan 12. Best of all, it's cheap.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 10:47 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Mr. Walker’s amber restorative

Originally Posted by zitsky
Johnny Walker Black is perfectly fine and better than Dewars. It was the best scotch I had before going on to things like Macallan 12. Best of all, it's cheap.
Already stocked. Thank you.

And the favorite of Christopher Hitchens.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 10:57 am

Already stocked. Thank you.

And the favorite of Christopher Hitchens.
I wish the airlines carried JWB instead of the Dewars they carry.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 11:59 am

It's a touch pricey, and not always easy to get, but Tweeddale is quite good:
http://rbdistillers.com/whisky/borde...eeddale-blend/
Old Mar 1, 2016, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by NYCRuss
It's a touch pricey, and not always easy to get, but Tweeddale is quite good:
http://rbdistillers.com/whisky/borde...eeddale-blend/
On the less pricey side, Black Bull 12 is an enjoyable blend.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've always thought Chivas was a perfectly decent blend.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dewar's 12 is OK, too, but I've yet to find any evidence that adding grain whisky to malt improves the product in any way.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 4:32 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia

Several years back upthread I mentioned that I like Teacher's as an inexpensive, blended scotch. I do still like it and keep a bottle in my liquor cabinet, though I like certain inexpensive single malts more. I like Speyburn 10 year slightly better than JW Black and Chivas, and it's cheaper, too. Cragganmore 12 year is comparable in price and clearly better IMO. Teacher's, of course, is much cheaper than any of these-- I pick it up at half the price at DFS when traveling through the UK-- but it's also harsher, and for my budget and modest rate of drinking I find the savings insignificant.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Several years back upthread I mentioned that I like Teacher's as an inexpensive, blended scotch. I do still like it and keep a bottle in my liquor cabinet, though I like certain inexpensive single malts more. I like Speyburn 10 year slightly better than JW Black and Chivas, and it's cheaper, too. Cragganmore 12 year is comparable in price and clearly better IMO. Teacher's, of course, is much cheaper than any of these-- I pick it up at half the price at DFS when traveling through the UK-- but it's also harsher, and for my budget and modest rate of drinking I find the savings insignificant.
Thank you for the suggestions.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 3:12 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Been visiting some smaller lounges in Asia this week. Yesterday I was at the OZ Lounge at PUS and was happy to find Johnny Walker Black. Today I'm at the tiny KE Lounge at FUK and they have Ballantine's 17 Year which is actually really good. An odd choice though for a lounge whose food options are instant noodles and packaged snacks.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by CMK10
Been visiting some smaller lounges in Asia this week. Yesterday I was at the OZ Lounge at PUS and was happy to find Johnny Walker Black. Today I'm at the tiny KE Lounge at FUK and they have Ballantine's 17 Year which is actually really good. An odd choice though for a lounge whose food options are instant noodles and packaged snacks.
Nice to see someone get excited about JWB. It's what I used to drink. Have you tried Dewars or Crown Royal, and how would you compare them to JWB as an "everyday" blended scotch? I mostly fly United in coach. They carry Dewars or Crown Royal as premium. I understand United stopped carrying JWB back in 2006. I don't care much for either Dewars or Crown Royal.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 4:16 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by zitsky
Nice to see someone get excited about JWB. It's what I used to drink. Have you tried Dewars or Crown Royal, and how would you compare them to JWB as an "everyday" blended scotch? I mostly fly United in coach. They carry Dewars or Crown Royal as premium. I understand United stopped carrying JWB back in 2006. I don't care much for either Dewars or Crown Royal.
I've never liked Dewar's, even in my college days. I think JWB is a perfectly find daily driver though. I'm usually a Glenlivet 12 man as my go to drink but JWB is a fine substitute, I certainly prefer it to Jameson.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.