Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2015, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

baggage insurance doesnt require lock?
also things like credit card purchase protection

wont ship to US at all?? ship to canadian border?

Larrude, how would you compare caol ila?

this thread is now #4 in DiningBuzz
Old Jul 26, 2015, 7:38 pm

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Glengoolie Blue FTW!

Old Jul 26, 2015, 7:56 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
baggage insurance doesnt require lock?
also things like credit card purchase protection

wont ship to US at all?? ship to canadian border?

Larrude, how would you compare caol ila?

this thread is now #4 in DiningBuzz
I've only tasted Caol Ila a couple of times - it was okay, but the peatiness was on the light side for me. But the beauty of single malts is that there is are so many different malts and agings to choose from
Old Jul 26, 2015, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by China Clipper
Glengoolie Blue FTW!
Glengoolie
24 yo - always good
Old Jul 27, 2015, 6:52 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Anything I should tell my friend who is in St. Andrews for the week to look out for? Something not available commonly in the US?

I already suggested he visit Cadenhead's in Edinburgh and get one of their blends, but he's been complaining that everything in St. Andrews is costlier than at a VA ABC store and most of it stuff the ABC stocks...
Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:08 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by exerda
Anything I should tell my friend who is in St. Andrews for the week to look out for? Something not available commonly in the US?

I already suggested he visit Cadenhead's in Edinburgh and get one of their blends, but he's been complaining that everything in St. Andrews is costlier than at a VA ABC store and most of it stuff the ABC stocks...
I never find that the price of whisky in Scotland to be a bargain compared to the US; I can usually buy the same items at a lower price in the states. The advantage of a place like Cadenhead's is to be able to purchase whisky that is independently bottled from casks that the shop has purchased.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Recently was given a choice to have my room stocked with Oban 14, Glenlivet 12 or Glenfiddich 12. Found, somewhat to my surprise, that the Glenfiddich was by far my favorite of the three. Much more complicated and flavorful than the others. Oban was my least favorite.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 12:29 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by MaxBuck
Recently was given a choice to have my room stocked with Oban 14, Glenlivet 12 or Glenfiddich 12. Found, somewhat to my surprise, that the Glenfiddich was by far my favorite of the three. Much more complicated and flavorful than the others. Oban was my least favorite.
I enjoy the Glennfiddich 12 much more than the Glenlivet 12 (but do like the Glenlivet 18). I would put the Oban at the front of the list. It is fascinating how different each person's tastes are
Old Jul 28, 2015, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Larrude
I never find that the price of whisky in Scotland to be a bargain compared to the US; I can usually buy the same items at a lower price in the states.
before increase, i recall macallan 30 being 300GBP (and $1000)
which is why i regret not buying, havent seen current UK prices
Old Jul 29, 2015, 7:14 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by zitsky
Anyone ever have to lie about their scotch addiction? My spouse saw my bottle of Macallan 25 and asked how much it cost. Of course, I didn't tell the truth.

Just tell her the "25" reflects the price. $25.00.

Old Jul 29, 2015, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Anyone ever have to lie about their scotch addiction? My spouse saw my bottle of Macallan 25 and asked how much it cost. Of course, I didn't tell the truth.

Since Mrs BV keeps the books at home, there's no point in lying. She reviews all debit and credit expenses and any large cash withdrawal would be questioned. And she might not believe I spent it on liquor.

She doesn't give me a hard time about it. I just keep my desires in check most of the time. When we would frequent a scotch bar in Knoxville on weekends, I could order anything up to $15 for a one ounce pour. Anything over that garnered a rasied eyebrow.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 7:39 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by BamaVol
a scotch bar in Knoxville on weekends, I could order anything up to $15 for a one ounce pour.

Boyd's Jig and Reel?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:51 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
"Less than the 30yo does honey"
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
Boyd's Jig and Reel?
Yes, the very place. In addition to hundreds of different scotches poured by knowledgable bartenders, they also serve a fine scotch egg. It's best when accompanied by the warm lamb gravy, although the mustard is fine if there's no gravy. I'm not a fan of the haggis, as I believe it comes from a can but the chicken and cider pie is nice too.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by BamaVol
Yes, the very place. In addition to hundreds of different scotches poured by knowledgable bartenders, they also serve a fine scotch egg. It's best when accompanied by the warm lamb gravy, although the mustard is fine if there's no gravy. I'm not a fan of the haggis, as I believe it comes from a can but the chicken and cider pie is nice too.
So, next time I'm in town, you're buying?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.