Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Worst Scotch I've had? Probably "Label 5". Horrible stuff.

edit: Page 52 ownage!

Last edited by DaveBlaine; Jun 17, 2015 at 3:21 pm
Old Jun 17, 2015, 5:51 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Worst for me is probably Dewar's White Label. No, I haven't tried enough swill... Life is too short!
Old Jun 18, 2015, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
Worst Scotch I've had? Probably "Label 5". Horrible stuff.

edit: Page 52 ownage!
Which raises the question, would one or more of the components of this blended scotch be a better drink? TMOliver has me wondering.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 6:44 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by BamaVol
Which raises the question, would one or more of the components of this blended scotch be a better drink? TMOliver has me wondering.
Hard to think that a bunch of good single malts would combine to form a poor blended Scotch.

Then again, I'm no expert on the matter either.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
Hard to think that a bunch of good single malts would combine to form a poor blended Scotch.

Then again, I'm no expert on the matter either.
No, not all of them. But maybe there's one out of 10? Nine out of 10? I have no idea how many single malts go into the average cheap blend. But maybe the bulk of the blend is made up of a single scotch that overwhelms the rest. Just speculation on my part. Separate them and sell the 9 for a good, if low, price. Then take than stinker and put it on the absolute bottom shelf where it will sell at cost and be purchased by desperate alcoholics. Better profit? Possibly.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by BamaVol
No, not all of them. But maybe there's one out of 10? Nine out of 10? I have no idea how many single malts go into the average cheap blend. But maybe the bulk of the blend is made up of a single scotch that overwhelms the rest. Just speculation on my part. Separate them and sell the 9 for a good, if low, price. Then take than stinker and put it on the absolute bottom shelf where it will sell at cost and be purchased by desperate alcoholics. Better profit? Possibly.
You're either on something, or you're on to something.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

some blended scotch/cognac have components that are very old (very little of that component)
Old Jun 18, 2015, 9:05 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Originally Posted by exerda
Worst for me is probably Dewar's White Label. No, I haven't tried enough swill... Life is too short!
Unusual choice. For many decades, "White Label" (If you actually know what a "Dewar" is, you may cal it that. Few did.) was extremely popular in NYC's upscale bars, and almost the Scotch of choice across the country in the banking and business community, "Chivas Regal" seen as a bit effete among hard drinkers. In the same vein, "Johnny Walker Red" always seemed the most popular brand in Navy Officers' Clubs.

In the 50s/early 60s, I recall thinking of "Cutty", then extremely popular in the US, as the harshest tasting popular Scotch, and recall the introduction of the 'smooth" "J&B" which converted many to become Scotch drinkers. Out in the sticks, folks drank "Old Smuggler" and "Vat 69", while some devoted fans drank "Black & White" and "Teacher's Highland Cream". "Haig Pinch" was upscale, with "Johnny Walker Black" viewed as a premium blend.

Encountering a single malt outside of the Scuppered Aisles was unusual. I've often wondered just how much "Grain Neutral Spirit" goes into some well known blends.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i dont like when scotch is too weak or it burns, but i think i have avoided 'worst'

Originally Posted by TMOliver
introduction of the 'smooth" "J&B" which converted many to become Scotch drinkers
its definitely not that horrible
Old Jun 18, 2015, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by exerda
What is your usual brand? The John Walker?
Old Jun 18, 2015, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TMOliver
Unusual choice. For many decades, "White Label" (If you actually know what a "Dewar" is, you may cal it that. Few did.) was extremely popular in NYC's upscale bars, and almost the Scotch of choice across the country in the banking and business community, "Chivas Regal" seen as a bit effete among hard drinkers. In the same vein, "Johnny Walker Red" always seemed the most popular brand in Navy Officers' Clubs.

In the 50s/early 60s, I recall thinking of "Cutty", then extremely popular in the US, as the harshest tasting popular Scotch, and recall the introduction of the 'smooth" "J&B" which converted many to become Scotch drinkers. Out in the sticks, folks drank "Old Smuggler" and "Vat 69", while some devoted fans drank "Black & White" and "Teacher's Highland Cream". "Haig Pinch" was upscale, with "Johnny Walker Black" viewed as a premium blend.
All this is quite true, and contributed to my failure to enjoy distilled spirits until I finally found Glenlivet about 10 years ago.

I still drink mostly wine and beer, but a good malt whisky is a treat when I have it. A few older blends (Dewar's Blue Label being a prime example) are also pretty tasty, but they cost about the same as decent single-malts or vatted malts.

The appearance of off-label single malts of no repute is no improvement to the marketplace; a few years ago pretty much any single malt was going to be good whisky. Not so much any longer.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MaxBuck
The appearance of off-label single malts of no repute is no improvement to the marketplace; a few years ago pretty much any single malt was going to be good whisky. Not so much any longer.
and can weaken brand integrity as well for quality brands if theyre not careful
Old Jun 23, 2015, 5:15 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
After reading that Nikka was discontinuing several of their aged whiskys, and going to NAS ones for others, I tracked down a few bottles of 12 year Miyagikyo to round out my collection. Trying the Miyagikyo right now, and it's quite nice as a Scotch-style whisky. I'd love to find older; I've had a few at whisky bars, and own some 21-year Takestsuru and a few other 15, 17, 18, etc., Japanese whiskys, but the Miyagikyo is definitely a nice one.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 8:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
I love Talisker and Ardbeg. I have dozens of bottles that I've collected over the years.

A few years ago I ended up with 7 cases of Talisker 18 and I was a popular invite for parties that year (friends and I drank 5 cases that year.)
Old Jun 25, 2015, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arthurhs
I ended up with 7 cases of Talisker 18
tough job, but someone had to do it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.