Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2024, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by work2fly
A colleague bought a few rounds of Macallan 18 recently, and while I thought it was really nice, I tried to buy a bottle and learned it's way out of my budget.

I bought the 12 sherry cask instead and I'm quite happy with it. It's still pricey in my area at $90, so I'll be looking for something else the next time around.

I've seen a few recommendations for Bunnahabhain 12, as an alternative. At $65, it's more in line with my budget. Any thoughts on that?
I keep trying other things and I keep coming back to Macallan 12. There is a bottle of 18 on my counter.

I don’t like their travel versions, as I’ve said before.

Macallan is expensive in my area too. You might try Johnnie Walker Black. It’s quite good but I don’t like the Double Black though. Too smoky.
work2fly likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by work2fly
A colleague bought a few rounds of Macallan 18 recently, and while I thought it was really nice, I tried to buy a bottle and learned it's way out of my budget.

I bought the 12 sherry cask instead and I'm quite happy with it. It's still pricey in my area at $90, so I'll be looking for something else the next time around.

I've seen a few recommendations for Bunnahabhain 12, as an alternative. At $65, it's more in line with my budget. Any thoughts on that?
Come to YYZ, we've got Maccallan 12 for C$80 (USD$60ish?)
SPN Lifer, work2fly and BamaVol like this.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My dad always gives me a few bottles per year of the Costco Kirkland single malt scotch, usually 18, 22, 23, or 25 years old. It used to be just a bottling of a Macallan cask but I don't think they do that anymore. In the off years where he can't find it at Costco (they only stock it once a year or so), like this one, my go to is Oban.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
This glenlivet 12 was definitely very good. Bought it yesterday and had 2 small glasses neat last night.

work2fly and pudgym29 like this.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 4:41 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Currently in my bar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.