Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2018, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Duke787
Good night for the right shade of blue (Duke) tonight. Celebrated by killing my Hibiki 21 (finally - bought it 3 years ago and have been savoring it) and enjoying some Hibiki 17 (thankfully reloaded in December in Tokyo) and Yoichi Miyagikyo 12 (sadly almost out of a bottle I bought pre-price spike).

Can say with certainty that Hibiki 17 remains my favorite and I actually give the nod to the Yoichi 12 over the Hibiki 21.

Too bad it's all gotten so expensive. The "Japanese Whisky" price premium on everything these days sucks for those of us who actually enjoy drinking it (rather than just flipping it).

Next goal is to find things that are similar but in the old Japanese Whisky price range.
What sort of price hike are we talking about? I've always wanted to try it.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 5:37 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Hibiki 17 (and 30) are old favorites of mine too, but unfortunately their value has increased more rapidly than my income over the last decade, so I rarely get a chance to drink them now. Obviously not the same as Japanese whisky, but I'm finding good Irish whiskey to be very fairly priced and lovely to drink. Check out the Teeling special releases, the nicer Redbreast, or Green/ Red Spot as examples. I would not be surprised if Irish whiskey undergoes the same increase in price in 5-10 years, so it might be best to get your fill of it in now.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
With a return to winter-like temperatures this week, I wasn't in the mood for a cold beer. Rummaging around the back of the liquor cabinet I found an unopened bottle of Glenfarclas 12 year. I gave it a couple tries but my impression was "meh". Not particularly smoky or peaty, maybe a little on the sweet side, but not particularly anything. I returned it to the back of the cabinet.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 8:23 am
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Originally Posted by BamaVol
With a return to winter-like temperatures this week, I wasn't in the mood for a cold beer. Rummaging around the back of the liquor cabinet I found an unopened bottle of Glenfarclas 12 year. I gave it a couple tries but my impression was "meh". Not particularly smoky or peaty, maybe a little on the sweet side, but not particularly anything. I returned it to the back of the cabinet.
BamaVol, you did a great job of describing this Speyside whisky. I also find it a little on the sweet side and certainly not overpowering, but it has the attributes that I expect from a whisky from that area.
I rarely find a peaty profile unless I'm tasting something from Islay or the Islands. Yes, there are others, but not so much in Speyside or even the Highlands.

Personally, I've never met a bottle of Laphroaig that I didn't like
Old Mar 22, 2018, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Larrude
BamaVol, you did a great job of describing this Speyside whisky. I also find it a little on the sweet side and certainly not overpowering, but it has the attributes that I expect from a whisky from that area...
Sounds similar to another Speyside product - Glen Fohdry Dublaich.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 2:02 pm

Had the opportunity to recently attend a Glenmorangie Scotch tasting at a local Total Wine store. It was hosted by Brendan McCarran, Head of Maturing Stocks at the distillery. Kudos to him for staying up past midnight to lead it.

We went through 5 variations: Glenmorangie Original; Sherry Cask Lasanta, Quinta Ruban Port Cask; Extremely Rare 18; and Spios Private Edition #9 .

He said that they pull from Glenmorangie Original (10 year) to produce the others. Lasanta spends an additional 2 years in either Pedro Ximenez or Oloroso sherry casks. It won Highland Single malt Scotch of the year last year. Quinta Ruban spends an additional 2 years in Ruby Port casks. The Extremely Rare 18 is aged to 15 years then spends another 3 years in either Pedro Ximenez or Oloroso sherry casks. Spios is their 9th edition special distillation. It is fully matured in former American rye whiskey casks. While Spios translates as "spicy", I didn't find it overly so. Our host said he was skeptical at first at what they might end up with using rye whskey casks, but once fully matured, he was won over. I believe Whiskey.com gives it a 90 out of 100 rating.

I think my favorite was the Extremely Rare 18, but I found the Spios to be very interesting and actually bought a bottle for the liquor cabinet.

Last edited by Pa Kettle; Mar 22, 2018 at 2:11 pm
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:00 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I've decided this year to branch out and try new bottles for my nightly cocktail. Here's my first purchase. I like it, a little on the peety side but that doesn't turn me off. Love the color too

Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
I've decided this year to branch out and try new bottles for my nightly cocktail. Here's my first purchase. I like it, a little on the peety side but that doesn't turn me off. Love the color too
Did you pick that up in an NC ABC (alcohol) store, or at a duty free shop on one of your trips?
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Too much ice!!
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by zitsky
Did you pick that up in an NC ABC (alcohol) store, or at a duty free shop on one of your trips?
The ABC Store near my house actually (NC-55 in south Durham). They had some good deals on scotches and a better selection than I'm used to.

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Too much ice!!
I love a lot of ice. Whether I'm "supposed to" or not, it's my drink and it's how I take it.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 7:43 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by zitsky
I'm curious what it runs in NC. VA ABC charges around $105. I got my current bottle at a Costco in Seaside, CA, for $45 (it was normally $65 but was on sale).
Old Mar 30, 2018, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by exerda
I'm curious what it runs in NC. VA ABC charges around $105. I got my current bottle at a Costco in Seaside, CA, for $45 (it was normally $65 but was on sale).
L16 standard price at CA Costco is $64.99. Lowest in US including many duty-frees.
There and HKG/SIN duty-free is where I replenish my go to, L16.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I've said elsewhere, Lagavulin is a sledgehammer of a drink. But sometimes a sledgehammer is just the tool for the job.
Pa Kettle likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by MaxBuck
As I've said elsewhere, Lagavulin is a sledgehammer of a drink. But sometimes a sledgehammer is just the tool for the job.
The first time I ever tasted Lagavulin, I immediately realized it might not be perfect, but it was perfect for me and for my taste.
It is my water of life. I can't completely explain it. I just love it.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I really wish I could get into the smoky peaty scotches. I just don't like them.
Duke787 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.